1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG Trilogy problems, please help

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Death Whisper, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i finally got it.....installed it yesterday.

however, once i start a game, and after 5 - 10 min it crashes to windows.

i've tried the "clear chache" solution but it didnt work. i also tried many other solutions.

what is wrong? i did uninstall all bg1 mods and bg2 mods before i installed BGT. (no i did not install them afterwards).
    anyone know of a solution?

and which mods can i install after installing bgt?

2. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think people will recommend that you use bg1Tutu instead. It's more stable and way simpler to install.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

BGTutu does not allow playing BGII and BG1 together though. I advice not to give up so early, try posting your problem in BGT forum as well at www.teambg.net. You may also get answer here, because someone who stands very close to BGT is registered here and might come across this thread.

4. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What exactly does BGT do? I've been able to find pleanty of installation help on various sites, but no simple run down on what it does and why people like it.

5. Baronius

You start the game at the beginning of Baldur's Gate 1, play through Tales of the Sword Coast, BGII Shadows of Amn, and finish it at the end of Throne of Bhaal. And the whole game has the graphical quality of BGII.

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

So BGtutu and BGT seem to be pretty much the same thing except BGT is a massive download even with a broadband connection whereas Tutu is a small download even with a dial-up modem. Why would anyone bother with BGT then?

Or I am missing something?

7. Niskers Gems: 7/31

Does that mean you can use the BGII sub-classes in BGI?

8. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Both mods allow you to play bg1 with the bg2 engine (intact)... The difference between the two is BGT is bigger and allows you to "play through" whereas for tutu you need to import your char/save like you always have had to.

So yes sub-classes and special classes are in both.

9. Niskers Gems: 7/31

It'd be neat if you could actually journey south after being a hero and actually try to fightoff Irenicus when he jumps you. Dont' suppose they do that?

10. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

something tells me that at lvl 7-9 you are not going to have an easy time of fending off jonny's attack, though im not sure about that because he did just put you to sleep with a spell or something if i remember right, so if you were an elf and had partial resistance to sleep and charm spells..........anyways i think im gonna play this out in my head for fun :D

11. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually once played through SOA without levelling up and beat Jon with a party of 7-9th level. Hell of a hard fight but I got him in the end.

12. Baronius

To each his own.
    You can play both BG1 and BG2 without interruption if you have BGT. Additionally, Big Picture (a mod which includes all greater BG mods such as Ascension) and NEJ (Never-Ending Journey) are BGT-based. Many of the greater mods
    coming out in future will be BGT based as well.

13. Niskers Gems: 7/31

cadderly: I didn't say I'd be successful :p Just for the fun of it. Sort of like when the Illithids in the Underdark take you. It'd still be intersting to see though. It'd be even neater if Minsc and Jaheira's places could be swapped off with two others and, and , and *breathes* I need to think about getting that life...

14. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

While Horred should be applauded for his efforts, Big Picture is a gigantic download, dwarfing BGT. By its sheer size it is incompatible with many, many mods.

I'm just going to repost this from an earlier thread we had on Tutu vs BGT:

• BGT requires BG1, TotSC, BG2, and ToB (though you can uninstall BG1 after BGT is installed); Tutu only requires BG1 and BG2 (expansions are optional, though BG1 must remain installed) .
    • BGT allows you to play BG1 all the way through the end of ToB continuously. Tutu has a program that must be run to toggle the installation between BG1 and BG2 content.
    • Tutu is a strict conversion and makes no storyline changes. On the other hand BGT requires that you kill Sarevok before doing any of the TotSC content and alters both BG1 and BG2 content with other changes.
    • Tutu allows BG1 mods as the conversion process will also convert any mods you may have. BGT is vanilla BG1/TotSC and can not be modded. Both will accept BG2 mods.
    • BGT keeps character continuity. If you change one of your NPC's stats in BG1, they'll have it in BG2. You can bring characters into BG2 that are not already in BG2.
    • Tutu has better graphics. BGT's size come from the fact that it distributes the area graphics in compressed form whereas Tutu uses them directly from BG1. BGT's compression also reduces the quality of the area graphics ingame.
    • Tutu is easier to download and install. Tutu is a minimal download (below 1MB) and installs in a few minutes. BGT is a huge download (600MB+) and takes closer to 45-60 minutes for the install process.
    • Tutu has more active suport. BGT's original creator withdrew from the project and support is now being handled by someone else. Tutu is still being maintained by its creator.
    • BGT can not be uninstalled. Tutu can be uninstalled in less than a few minutes.

There are also some folks working on a mod for Tutu that will bring some of BGT's advantages into Tutu, such as the continuous NPCs.

15. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

thanks for the help guys, bgt works now.
    to bad it crashes every 5 min in certain areas (beregost and a shop in baldurs gate).
    but this can be tolerated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.