1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This is great stuff to read.

I'm assuming your PC is Human (I don't think you've mentioned this)?

2. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@HB, if you haven't already, I would give the thief the 20 grand or so. then go to the graveyard and investigate. Alot of XP and some treasure to boot. there are also some more quest in here. I agree with joacqin, there are so many quests at once that it can get very hectic and confusing. Stick with one maybe 2 at a time.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm actually supposed to be Neutral Good. Yes, and human. Generally a good party, except for that brief period with Viconia on board.

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Harbourboy, what else do you do with human skin? You wear it, of course! Haven't any of you seen the contemporary H.P. Lovecraft rip of Dagon?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am going to spoil HB here, you all have to forgive me. Reijek Hidesman, the bridge killer can be dealt with in Trademeet. No rush though.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Recommendation from me:

Go for a stroll into the Temple District for a healing. You may find something to do there.

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Boo on you, joacquin. HB would have found his way there eventually. These hints are turning into a feeding frenzy of proxy play.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...that's because we're all taking a personal interest because of HB being a BG2 virgin. :D

Go on. Admit it. You know you wanna too. :evil:

:shake:

9. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Its true, faraaz. We are almost living someone elses life...

Mind you, i'm going to go all the way through ToB for the first time soon...but from what i've seen so far, its all linear *sniff*.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

We've just been to the graveyard for the funeral but not much seemed to happen so we left and headed back to finish off dealing with those slaves. I like quests like that where everybody gets the quest XP, rather than having to share it around. Arya has now reached level 11 and our reputation is now up to 14.

Our list of open quests is now much shorter and looks more manageable. What to do now? Wel, I guess it must be time to go and find Jaheira.......

Side question: what is that lethal green goop that sometimes falls on you when you trigger a trap?

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I used to know...but I can't think of what it is right off hand. Nasty little trap though. IRC it not only does a lot of damage, but it also holds you if you fail to make the saving throw. :rolling:

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I believe it's "green slime," like when you say "I don't know" on the show "You Can't Do That On Television."

13. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but at the very least it holds you. And yeah, there is something fun in this vicarious BG2 experience...but BOOOO for excessive hinting. :)

14. Harbourboy

We've finally gone to pick up Jaheira but immediately wished that we hadn't because we got fried by some whacko Harpers. It took about half a dozen castings of Power Word: Reload before we got past that encounter. Even with both Nalia and Jan on board we still struggled to deal with those enemy spellcasters who cheat by casting every protection spell in the world instantaneously. We eventually only got through because Arya used that elemental ring to charm the Earth Elemental they summoned and get him to work for us.

Now I'm not sure if I finished that encounter properly because nothing seemed to happen afterwards (no XP, no dialogue from Jaheira thanking us etc). Also, I don't think the Janssen quest ended properly either because it is still showing up as an uncompleted quest in my journal.

Anyway, no sooner did we get Jaheira back when Nalia got swiped by some loser. Now I guess we'd better go after HER, I suppose. Does this Chapter ever end? How many chapters are there anyway?

15. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

You can make that chapter end whenever you want by giving the thieves your payment for their help. It's as long as you want it to be.

(You are in chapter 2, right?)

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

There are 6 chapters, Harbourboy.
    Like Xanthus said you can finish this one in case you have enough gold... oh, and you dont need to go to the thief - there is another option open to you. Its waiting for you among the dead.
    The unfinished quests will all still be there for you to solve, no matter if you move on to the next chapter. I would recommend some more xp-hunt though.

17. Harbourboy

Righto. Plus I think there are 4 NPCs left that I haven't met yet (I've avoided walkthroughs but I have seen a list of NPCs). I think I have so far not encountered the wizard, the paladin, the bard, and the druid. If I don't meet them soon, they'll be out of luck because I'll probably end up sticking with the guys who have already been out earning XP (mainly Anomen and Minsc).

18. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, IIRC NPC levels are dependant to some extent on your XP when you meet them. Then again, they still do tend to lag behind your most used characters, and after a while, you get so tired of shuffling your inventory around that it seems like a pain to kick out an NPC who has a working kit of gear for someone carrying almost nothing.

I still wonder why your Anomen subquest hasn't started.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In my most current run I had quite a wide XP gap in the beginning but it evens out quite soon. A 100.000xp difference might seem like a lot at first but after a while it will only be half a level and later not even that. Go for the NPCs you like and not for how much XP they happen to have.

20. Harbourboy

This game continues to roll on. I got sent on some mission to find a parent for a kid so we went wandering all over the show trying to find someone (still haven't). But in the process we did finally meet the much vaunted Keldorn who has joined the party and also the strange Haer Dalis (who also joined but has subsequently vanished somewhere).

So the current team is now: Arya (approx 900k xp), Minsc, Keldorn, Anomen, and Jan. So what happened to Jaheira? Well, she got miffed when I subbed her off and appears to have stormed off forever. Oh well.

Having three tanks up front is awesome because those three alone seem to be able to carve up anything (especially now that Minsc has abandoned dual wielding hammers and is using a crazy talking sword to match his own crazy personality)

Anomen and Jan are hardly doing anything at the moment although Anomen has been having a few family issues lately. Actually, so has Keldorn - which is where we currently are: off to go and deal with that.

After that, there still seem to be a million quests to do but I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't go and rescue Imoen soon, seeing as that is what our main aim is supposed to be. We've easily got enough cash. Oh well, we'll see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.