1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That "sombody" that you are sent to go see is remarably hot...but you don't get to see her until later on. :love: :rolling:

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Hey, try to avoid spoilers! I just cracked open "A Game of Thrones" !!!

:D

Just playin'

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:eek: Kitrax!
    You :love: Adalon? Now if he were talking of a certain daughter of a powerful matron mother :drool:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, we're still wandering around in the Underdark. Keldorn has just reached Level 15. We've had some fun with some lost souls trapped in a sphere but had to run away after one of them turned into one of those invincible spinning spellcasting pyramids. We've done a quest with an evil wizard who wanted us to help him mess with elemental planes but we had to fight him afterwards which was pretty tough. In situations like that it is helpful having both Nalia and Imoen to fire the required buff-stripping spells. We've also run into a few more Drow and now Viconia has a ridiculous -12 AC.

Arya has reached level 15 in thiefness now so her snares work a bit more often than they did before which is proving to be extremely useful.

I'm not really sure where we're supposed to go next but it looks like we're now about to start fighting some super-fast lizardy fishy things.

5. Kitrax

Media:
    Those would be the Kuo-Toa...nasty little buggers if they actually use their special bolts against you.

As for where to go...remember that the section of the Underdark that you are in is big, and has many other sections to the West, South East, East, and to the North...but that's something a quick look at your map would tell you. :rolling:

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

For those invisible triangles of death, just cast something like Symble of Death or Horrid Wilting if you have either of them. Or even a couble fireballs would work I think.

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Twice in one game you get a glitch I've never even heard of? You're not running any mods or goofy stuff, are you?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is completely new to me as well, and I have run through the game many many times.

9. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think we would all like a screeny of this HB...

Like Kit said, theres LOADS in this area so don't just run on through, have a look around theres plenty of exp round here...

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

was he evil? did you do a know alignment or detect evil spell? bec. iirc you don't fight him unless you get greedy (which i am ;) )

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Enagonios - Keldorn always casts his Detect Evil spell (he might as well given he has such an unnecessarily large number of them)

Slayer of the Coast - hmmm, the screenshot wouldn't show much because the spinning thing is almost the same colour as the background. Maybe I could capture the spell effects as they emerge from it (if we go past there again).

Benan - none of those things worked. It is indestructible as far as I can tell.

Anyway, we still have no idea what we're supposed to be doing (for once, there are no uncompleted quests in the journal) so we just picked a direction and look to have been teleported back to the Unseeing Eye quest as we seem to be battling a lair of beholders. I hate beholders. These ones seem to have powered up from when we faced them in the Unseeing Eye quest so we're having a bit more difficulty with them. One of them even managed to turn poor old Keldorn into stone.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

One of the things I didn't like about the Underdark the first few times I played was the...er...darkness. I remember thinking it was terribly difficult to see where I to go, and then being annoyed when you could walk through what appeared to be solid rock.

13. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I always have my monitor's brightness turned up full in the Underdark, and sometimes even that is not enough.

14. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Why else would they call the place the Underdark, hmmm?

15. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@harbourboy

"those invincible spinning spellcasting pyramids"

were it possible that you mean drow-clerics protected by the spell blade-barrier ?

16. Harbourboy

Nightwood - no I mean a wizard that you kill but he doesn't die properly, but instead turns into an invincible spinning pyramid that keeps casting deadly spells at you. Why am I the only person to encounter these things?

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Get off those 'shrooms when playing, boy! :shake:

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Next time you encounter one HB, take a screenshot. I am very curious about these pyramids and I think I am not the only one.

19. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah, If I could see what the "invincible spinning pyramid" actually looked like, I could look through all the animation files for the game and determin what the hell it is.

If you think the beholders are tough, wait until you go to the eastern tunnels! :eek: :rolling:

20. Harbourboy

Right - seeing as NOBODY believes me, I have just submitted a screenshot of the invincible spinning pyramid trying to charm Viconia to Tal for Screenshot of the Week. If he puts it up next week you'll see what I mean. You'll have to take my word for it that it is impossible to damage (you can't even target it) and that the original wizard is long dead (we got the XP for him ages ago).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.