1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, you've got a loooong way to go yet.

As a very rough estimate, you've probably at least as much gaming left to do (including ToB) as you've spent already, if not more. But don't worry - it's worth it.

I know what you mean about thinking ahead to your character - that's the problem many people have, myself included, and that's why we start far more games than we finish.

2. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Don't worry once you get out of the fish tank "SMACK SMACK SMACK!!", it'll all be peachy, sounding somthing like:

Dude... dude...? Oh, hey. Dude, he lives.
    Oh...
    How are you, Jelly Man?
    What?
    Yeah, we saw you and we were like "whoa", and you were like "whoa..." and we went like, "whoa..."

...and you won't be flapping..."Bubbles!!! Bubbles!.....My bubbles."

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...I have no idea what that's all about. :nuts:

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

...he said something about bubbles; maybe he's talking about beer :beer:

HB, might have been a good thing you didn't bring Anomen along; I'm sure seeing his snookums turn into the slayer would have gotten Sir A's panties all in a knot...

5. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am pretty sure that slayer of the coasts post had something to do with Finding Nemo, mentioned in one of HB's previous posts

keep posting Harbourboy this thread is really cool
    :)

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    By the time you finish SoA, this thread will be 15 pages long, and you'll have to open a new thread just to continue through ToB! :eek:

I'm glad that you decided to take the Sliver Sword and the "ship way" instead of just going through the portal in Spellhold...the whole Shark City is well worth it! The Silver Sord is pretty cool once it is whole. :rolling:

7. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Im sure we'll end up seeing the title "Newbies thoughts #3"

Are we gonna continue this epic saga through ToB...?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

We'll see how long this thread goes for. For now, we have now finished with our Finding Nemo interlude by killing the mad king (after having to deal with still MORE riddles and crazy puzzles). At least we got to meet Drizz't. There was loads of XP on hand in Sharkland so Viconia gained another level and is finally up to where Anomen was when he ran off. Arya continue to be a lethal backstabber, easily killing opponents with one stab. Now it looks like we're about to enter the famed Underdark......

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't think that was Drizz't and company that you met, just sort of magical representations. Hard to imagine those five just chillin' in Sharkland for a while.

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Eric is right. Its the beholder and imps' puzzle. Funny dialogues eh ;)

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I just finished reading this thread, and now I'm a subscriber! This is great, I love living the game through you HB!

When you get to Chapter 7, I'm going to stop reading. My computer crashed on me, and that's as far as I got (I finished every side-quest I could find). I haven't had the chance to play much at all for quite some time now, so I'm going to have to play some catch up (still in BGI now).

Great thread!

PS: There is a 1st level wizard spell that could help Arya's AC. I don't want to spoil, though.

PPS: Do you have Throne of Bhaal, Harbourboy?

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Shrikant: Agreed - the Spectator and the imps are pretty good entertainment. Of course, there's plenty more silly stuff along the way, but my favourite comedic interlude is the Spectator.

@ Klorox: There's a third-level or fourth-level one that's even better... but hey, I'm not telling.

@ HB: Indeed, the Underdark awaits - and I can't stress the importance of that magic "Save" button enough the first time through.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, I am using Throne of Bhaal.

As for Arya's AC, her standard buffs are Barkskin, Haste, and Improved Invisibility. I forgot to mention earlier that she also has this magic book that lets her cast one spell per day. She can turn the page in the book to cast a new spell but then she loses the previous spell. She was using fireball for a while but has now turned the page and is using Invisibility sometimes on occasion. But she also has an invisibility ring, plus her Stealth abilities so maybe it's time for her to turn another page.

Meanwhile, not much more has happened in the Underdark other than fight with some Drow that turned out to be harder than it probably should have been and required multiple reloads to complete.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Where did you find that book HB? I was looking for it the last time I played through and never found it...it's a great little item, if you know what is on the next page that is.

The Drow's magic resistance is a setback for my parties, that usually ends up with me sending in my tank to wipe out the clerics first, followed by the rest. That +5 armor that some of the drow have is a little too powerful IMO...too bad is turns to dust if you try to leave the Underdark with it. :cry: :rolling:

15. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Perth the Adept (whom I now associate with Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, for odd linguistic reasons) holds the Book of Infinite Spells, I believe. Ya know, that mage who's gone psycho thanks to Irenicus.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You really ought to check out the spell spirit armour Harbourboy, I am fairly certain you can cast it on other characters and not only yourself.

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Pereth the Adept in the crazy mage you can fight in Brynlaw (?) in order to get into spellhold. You know, that island where Saemon Havarian left you. He is on the right hand side near the docks.

And who cares for Arya's AC. Viccy must be more than enough as decoy.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your PC's stats is a matter of principle! Even if I have been playing a sorcerer who have been standing in teh back lobbing spells I have given him all the best stuff even if he doesnt really need the ring of gaxx or ring of protection +2 and boots of speed.

19. Harbourboy

Yeah, Arya got the book from that crazy wizard who turned into a spinning invincible pyramid after we'd supposedly killed him.

Our latest adventures in the Underdark have seen us teleport into Middle Earth as we had to battle a Balrog that had been unearthed by some gnomes who delved too deeply. That was quite hard as he kept stunning everybody and was resistant to most magic. He was only finally brought down by Nalia-Gandalf and her magic meteors. Afterwards, the gnomes gave us a Silmaril like gem as a reward and sent us off to meet somebody who sounds suspiciously like Shelob. We'll see.

I'm finding that I actually quite like the balance of my party now that I have become used to it. It is quite useful having four capable melee fighters although only having 3 x +3 weapons (Arya - Celestial Fury, Minsc - Lilacor, Viconia - Flail of Ages) is a pain in some encounters.

20. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Wow HB, without a doubt you are the first person ever to associate Nalia with Gandalf...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.