1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG: Dark Alliance question (rules)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sirdan, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] A friend of mine that has it has told me that it uses 3e D&D rules. However, when I asked him whether he liked the point buy system he told me that he he used the dice for determining Ability Scores.

So what rules uses Dark Alliance? :book:

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance doesn't use a stat generation system. The stats are preset for the three different characters.

[Edit courtesy of :D turning into a stupid smilie]

[This message has been edited by Volar Blackmane (edited June 28, 2002).]

3. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

Ok, thanks a lot. It uses a system like Diablo, eh?

4. Christian Gems: 7/31

BG: Dark alliance doesn't let you create your character, you have 3 choice

dwarf fighter
    human archer
    elf sorceress

you can't choose their stat but every 4 lvl IIRC you can up one by 1.

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Yes, it's a *lot* like Diablo. It uses some stuff from 3rd edition, which might be helpful to know as the game doesn't explain what for example a 'disruption' weapon does.

6. Atreides Gems: 7/31

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has rather an odd rules system. I think that everyone who has posted thus far about it being like Diablo is correct. The game seems to borrow concepts from 3E rules (adding a point to an ability score, and some of the terminology) but it's mostly like Diablo set in the Forgotten Realms, not that this is a bad thing!

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Actually it is a bad thing. Luckily I bought it used.

8. Atreides Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] If we're talking console gaming, no hack and slash is not a bad thing. Actually, for the PS2 it is my opinion that BG: DA is one of the better RPGs for it. I like the game a great deal more than say Final Fantasy X (some of the gameplay elements are a bit too complicated, kind of like FF VIII's, and I absolutely hate that game.)

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Having a choice between three characters, and where your stat points gained with levels go, hardly makes a game role playing.

And that's just your opinion, hack and slash isn't too entertaining when you've played a gazillion of similar games (like those horrible Doom-clones several years ago) and you can't find even one game beyond the 'press one button and drink heals until the enemy dies' level. Final Fantasy, for example, is much clearer and easier to control than all the 'Hit X, O, L1, L2, R2, up, down, and rotate the right analog stick counter-clockwise three times to do Xizbof's mega-combo instant kill attack in super street fighter ultra 3000. Oh, and you have to do it in two seconds for it to succeed.' (No wonder I turned Squalls gunblade thingie in Final Fantasy VIII to automatic, hardly ever managed to press it at the right time.) In addition to that you have to learn at least thirtytwo normal attacks, twelve finishing moves, and several weaker combo attacks, and every fraction of a second counts. :rolleyes: Better not to even get started on 3d shoot 'em ups.

When I bought Baldur's Gate: Dark alliance I wanted something to fill my gaming shelf apart from all the Final Fantasies. Some neat action game, that would have many sides to it, and wouldn't get repetitive in the first few days. Obviously this was not it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.