1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Super Bowl Ads Ever

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's the top 10 as composed by MSNBC. The criteria used to select the best are explained in the article. YouTube clips of the ads are attached (my favorite is still the Terry Tate ad - absolutely hysterical - "Break time was over 15 minutes ago, Mitch!"

Not to spoil anything, but the #1 Super Bowl ad of all time is still, unsurprisingly, the Coke ad featuring Mean Joe Greene giving the kid in the stadium his jersey.

linky linky

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Ooh, can I be the first to point out that if the breaks are more entertaining than the game then there's something seriously wrong with the sport :p?

Those were some great ads, I loved the office linebacker. I don't get the appeal of #1 one at all, I guess it just doesn't travel. #2 neither, though I know the difference in culture so it's not a mystery like #1. I don't just mean that it was an American incident, I can't possibly imagine any company over here using that kind of incident for a promotion. Especially for a tv ad during a football game.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    #1 is probably there for sentimentality reasons. I remember that commercial well and it actually harkens back to a time before, in my mind, corporate drones mandating PC nonsense took over the world and, more particularly, the airwaves. It wasn't clever or humorous and didn't make you think particularly, but I still smiled when I watched it again just now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Loved the bud frogs again. There is a compilation video on youtube that has all of the frog/lizard/weasel commercials & it is pretty funny.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My personal favorite was for Holiday Inn. It only showed during the Superbowl and was pulled -- I guess too many people were offended.

It was shot as a high school reunion. One guy is talking to a really hot woman who looks interested in him. She mentions they had a class together and he can't remember. She prods and he sticks to his guns and tells her, "No I really would have remember someone who looks like you so."

To which she replies, "Well, back then my name was Steve." [or some other male name, it's been a while]

I about fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

To me that kind of cloying senitmentality seems the epitome of corporate blandness. I guess Americans go for that kind of thing more.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

That is the top ten list? Wow... that was terrible. The Terry Tate one is by far the best one, and the Apple one is amazing, but the rest are... stupid, to say the least. Personally, I can't think of other Super Bowl ads to replace them, but that is because I don't keep a list of good Super Bowl ads :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.