1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best PC CRPG ?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Klorox, Oct 20, 2004.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

KoTOR, for sure. Once I played this game, I couldn't put it down, although I do agree about the crap faces.

2. Tremorden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ultima VII has always been my favorite but I suppose it's a bit dated, now...

My next would be Fallout II but it's not 'fantasy' per se.

So I'd have to go with my #3 choice and recommend PS:Torment.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Planescape: Torment out of all that I played, definitely.

4. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd have to say BG 1. I just love the story, NPCs, dialogues, exploration and just about everything about it! :)

I found that Morrowind had lots of potential especially if it were multiplayer u tit isn't. The combat, spells and whatnot are fun, especially the landscape! But the NPCs, dialogues and most of the quests sucked. The quests were to repetative and lacked the story and NPCs to back them up. I found Morrowind to be hacken' slash and the only reason I sometimes play it is for the landscape.

Though I haven't played all too many games, especially compared to you guys so don't count my opinions as expertise.

5. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura !!! So good I need not even say more!

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ultima VII was the best in my book , followed closely by BG2.

Ever noticed how old games almost everytime seems to be better than new ones ?
    I mean new ones seems to be all about graphics and multiplayer options, and no gameplay.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

I'll go with Fallout 2 and KoTOR. Those two are pretty much the best, most entertaining RPG's out there with BG2. KoTOR doesn't have 1/10:th of the replayability of either of the other two, but it's the best script-heavy RPG on PC I've ever seen. Very much like a good console game with its strong plot and enforced immersion events (if you can even say that in English).

I'm also having a blast with WoW right now.

8. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If you havent then BG I, any IWD or Fallout titles. BG II is the best ever for playability, but I have to say Fallout (first real rpg I played) 1+2 were my favourite when it came down to storyline. My next games in line to try are the Diablo titles and Planescape... ohhh only two more days till my battle chest arrives... :banana:

9. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Although i'm an huge fan of the Infinity Explorer games, i can't say they are the best crpg i've ever played.
    Mainly because i already played Final Fantasy VII. I know that many people disagree with me (maybe those people think that D&D is the trve RPG) but no other game has made me such pleasure as FF7. The story is beautiful and the graphics were excelent for that time. I also liked the other FF (well, not all since i stopped at FF8) but none of them is as good as FF7. Speaking of Squaresoft games i have to name Chrono Trigger as one of my favorites.

Oh...and Fallout 1 & 2 too! :D

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31

The problem with FF games is the feeling of being sheperded around and the relative lack of choice compared to real RPG's such as Fallout and Arcanum.

11. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

to add my bit : here's my crpg top-ten :

1.) Ultima VI (i know i should rank this one down, but it's the game that made me love rpgs)
    2.) BG 2
    3.) Fallout 2
    4.) Planescape : Torment
    5.) Ultima VII
    6.) BG 1
    7.) IWD 1
    8.) Fallout 1
    9.) MM VI
    10.) Eye of the Beholder 1

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How about playing on a beach in Hawaii -- the big island. I can't think of a better fantasy setting. Volcano National Park is awesome.

As far as games....

If you like the fighting best IWD and IWDII.

If you like the story best I'd go with Planescape:Torment. My personal favorites will always be Ultima VII: The Black Gate and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle. You can even get a download to play them in windows. (I even enjoyed VIII and IX)

13. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Rednik:
    Almost all RPGs have that problem and Fallout is no exception. The only one that i can think of that doesn't give you that feeling is ES: Morrowind. I must confess that the FF saga is more linear (gameplay-wise) than the normal. But i think that the deep storyline of those games is more than enough to make one person forget that he is being herded (at least to accept the fact willingly :D )

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

fantasy setting rpg? How about Final Fantasy 7 and 10?

15. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My vote will have to go with this new game that my brother recently bought, called Sacred. It's got a lot of hack and slash, but the sidequests are loads of fun, the combat (Diablo 2 style) is pretty impressive, the graphics are second-to-none, the music is just outstanding, the entire game-world (Ancaria) is meticulously detailed and the story is incredibly captivating. If I were to give my second favourite cRPG (BG2) a 9/10, Sacred would be off the charts.

The only critiques this game gets from me, are that it could benefit from a D&D style character selection rather than a Diablo 2 style; and some kind of increased or variable character development.

ps- For those few who remember the thread in the BG forum about mounts and horses; this game should interest you...you can ride anything from saddle-less and wild horses to trained and aggressive war horses.

16. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Icewind Dale 1&2
    Planescape: Torment
    Fallout 1&2
    Morrowind
    Ultima 9 (Yeah, yeah. *I* like it! :p )
    Baldur's Gate 1&2
    KOTOR
    Arcanum.
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (You don't have much choices, but the story is awesome)

That's the games I have.

I hear Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is very good, too, so I'm hoping to get that for Christmas :p

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This would be my list, in order:
    BG2/ToB
    Planescape
    Icewind Dale
    Fallout II
    M&M 6&7 - The graphics are clunky, but they are first person RPGs, which is a nice change from the above titles. Two other first person games you might try are Morrowind and Wizardry 8. I've played a little bit of both but never finished them, but not because they are bad games - just not enough time these days.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sacred it good, just that.

The developers are too ambitious. They have made a map too damn big that they can't even control. Here and there you have your little broken quest. As for the working quests, they are not all fun. They are either go there kill monster fetch me stuff or bring me to there and don't let me die. This is the first game ever that actually cured my "compulsive all dark area must open syndrome".

The highlight of the game for me is the character development system and easter eggs. Character development is the key to replayablity and this game has really good development layout. The freedom of coupling several skills into one super power is great. If you have money, you might want to play it. If you don't then you can wouldn't miss a lot for not playing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.