1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best party and tactics

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Dragu&Barud, May 17, 2003.

1. Dragu&Barud Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] 1.Half-elf:Cleric-Ranger
    2.Half-elf:Fighter-Druid
    3.Gnome:Fighter-Ilusionis
    4.Elf:Thief-mage

There is one cool tactic with Druids:cast multiple Entagles,have a mage casting Lv2 Web,you
    can cast Slow.Once the foes are entagled and webbed cast Lv3 Spike growth,Lv5 Spiked stones,
    Death Fog,Cloud kill you can mesh everything there
    for colateral damage.Tactic for PvP areas.
    Fighter-mages are cool with Tenser/Mirror image/Stoneskin/Blur/Mordenkainen swd.
    One cool spell is Flame arrow especially at high
    levels.Virtolic sphere is cool too.
    Thief-mages should wear gauntlets of Ogre power,
    have a mage cast Emotion:Hope;Emotion:Courage;Prayer;Aid(2+3+1+1)
    Damage bonus is 7x5=35 to damage with backstab.
    Thief-mages should have their Lv2 slots equipped with invisibility.
    One cool summons are druids Summon animal Lv3 and upper.Creeping doom is high damaging but not too strong,boost it with Haste,Emotins etc.

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I made a party with a cleric/ranger and it was the second most unfavourite character I have ever made in any game. Why? The level ups are so slow that he is useless as a cleric for turning undead. This is a bad option in my opinion, get a Paladin or a Fighter dual to Cleric.

Gnomish Fighter Illusionist is extremely deadly. The Helm of the Defender and other magic items means an AC over at least -10 with great Dex by chapter 3.

3. ppz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I feel like i have always underestimated druids, but i am playing with one now and she is really cool, especially after you pass first 6-8 levels... Lots of agressive / incapacitating spells and shapeshifting together provide excellent flexibility.

Also, magic missile is absolutely lovely when you're at higher levels - i can cast lots of those babies and they can be quite brutal...

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ditto on the druids of IWD. They are so much better in IWD than in either of the Baldur's Gate games. They have infinitely more offensive spells. My current party has one as my only priest, and she's all I need. Why they didn't implement these spells into BG2 is beyond me.

The best tactic for IWD I've ever used by far is simply giving every character a missile weapon. Most of the enemies in the game move so slow that as soon as they come into view, start pelting them as they run blindly toward you. I won most battles without a scratch. For this reason, a pure Ranger is essential in IWD. Group battles are a little tougher to pull this off, but at least you can focus all missile weapons on the spellcasters, disrupting spells and killing them, before switching back to melee to mop up the rest.

5. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

good advice Deathyeti..uh..i mean rabbit(love the avatar :thumb: )

i've used the same tactic and it works out pretty good.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks - Tal didn't make a rabbit, but this one seemed to fit me close enough. :D I'm sure you were disappointed when there weren't any lions.

What other tactics have worked for you? I personally don't know how I made it without a druid the first time through.

7. andrew61388 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

1. Human fighter- just a fighter plain and pure
    2. Gnome Multi fighter/mage
    3. Half elf multi fighter/theif
    4. Half elf multi ranger/cleric
    5. Human paladin

8. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

well, i usually have a fighter dwarf and another such character in the lead(using melee weapons), followed by my rangers, scorcerer, and thief all using ranged weapons. i know some of you might think "how boring" but it seems to work for me.

..and hey, if i run into trouble, i can i always get all the help i need from my fellow S.P.er's :D

9. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Mmmmm...dwarven fighters as group leaders make me happy. Ever since the dwarf from my first time playing the game ran straight through Yuxonomei's underlings and planted a critical hit on her for 44 damage, I won't do without one. :)

10. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Greenlion

Ummm...Sorcerer? Wrong game, dude. Though I wish there were sorcerers in IWD1.

11. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

@ DeathRabbit..i've been playing so many games latley, it's hard to remember exact terminology.
    you know what i meant, i've heard the term "silly rabbit" but in your case i'll substitute "picky" :rolleyes:

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    As long as you stay away from "anal-retentive rabbit" I think we'll be fine. :p That was more a wish for IWD sorcerers than it was me pointing out a mistake. I love sorcerers.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Hey Kazraj
    I only half agree with you about Cleric/Rangers. My Half-Elf Cleric[7]/Ranger[6] is pretty good. She is fast with her sling (faster than my Fighter/Druid anyway) and her turn-undead ability is good too. Ok so the Paladin[7] seems to turn 'em faster.
    One nifty tactic I used in Kersslake's tomb was to turn-undead her then make her invisible. As she walked about confusing everyone my fighters n paladin made mince meat of all, else the imbued wights were always a big headache.Lucky I got the 10% eletric damage halberd from the mummy outside, else...

14. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In the Bioware games with severe level restrictions (i.e. Baldur's Gate I and Icewind Dale), the best parties are the ones the multi-class all of the characters with "fighter".
    Fighter-cleric, Fighter-thief, 3 fighters (ranger/fighter or paladin) and a plain old mage will do the trick.

That way, 5 of your characters have strong hp and can fight extremely well. If you want, you can sub in a fighter-mage too if you need an extra spell-thrower.

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] I say this quite a lot, and although its uninteresting, I enjoy it. Two warriors, in do or die tactics. Fun :D .

16. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

My first and only party:
    1. Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
    2. Halfling Fighter/Thief

At the end I was 14/17 and 15/17 or sorta... The Fighter/Cleric is one very powerful little grizzly bear... I wonder what will happen if I try soloing with him...

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Can one get thru Icewind-Dale without magic?
    As I go up in the levels I find myself using more and more spells. There also seem to be more creatures out there with resitences or outright immunity to normal range or melee weapons.
    At least one spellcaster for me, a mage/cleric if no one else. :)

18. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

My next plans are for Dwarven Fighter/Cleric and Elven Mage/Thief... Overall I think that you can combine these four: Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Thief however you wanna:
    Cleric/Mage and Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Cleric and Mage/Thief...However I think that there is a way getting through IWD without spellcasting. Playing with a solo Dwarven Fighter/Cleric can prove my words... Try it and you will see... :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.