1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best paladin kit?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Harkle, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I'm gonna import my paladin from BG1 to BG2 soon... and I havent ever played paladin before. So, I ask for your opinion what kit I should take.

2. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You should definately go with either Inquisitor, or Undead Hunter. Here's why,

Inquisitor: Inquisitors are you basic paladin, a basic paladin on steroeds that is, they are able combatants and have super-powerful dispelling abilities :eek: . Sure they don't get thier priest spells, but who cares, they aren't that useful anyway.

Undead Hunter: As you would have probably noticed, you fight tons of Undead creatures in this game, they get tons of bonus' against them. They are also noteworthy caombatants.

3. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Cavalier is also a very good kit.
    I personally prefer the undead hunter because I think level drain is the most annoying thing enemies do in the entire game.
    (although there is of course the mace of disruption)

4. Gladiator Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] The Cavalier is IMO by far the best. Reasons:

-20% resistant to fire and acid
    -immune against poison and fear
    -good bonuses when fighting Dragons, Demons etc.

Best kit in the game, if ye ask me. :)

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Gladiator, your judgement is unhampered by the cowardice of those who are afraid of undead and puny mages. Congratulations.
    Dragons and Demons (especially later in the add-on) are the only worthy opponents for a paladin. Certainly the evil of the undead and evil wizards is a bane that has to be fought - but evil wizards and vampires are of little concern compared to a dragon. Indeed the advantages like elemental resistance, fearlessness and the ability to encourage the party, just like the immunity against poison easily outmatch the advantages of the other paladin kits since they come to prove their worth all over the game - more often that the abilities of the competing kits.

[ August 12, 2002, 17:39: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I always prefered the Cavalier myself, although they can't use ranged weapons and not cast Lay On Hands. But you get the Dispel Magic spell in return and who gives a paladin a bow anyway.

7. Takouhi Bladesinger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey...I always thought Cavaliers could cast lay on hands?! At least I always have been able to...but I agree that Cavalier is the best way to go if you're looking for some hardcore fights with some tough creatures. They could be a god if Amulet of Power was open to fighters. And anyway: why do you need long distance weapons if you already have a few of your spell casters shootin some arrows in the back? Inquisitor is a pretty good kit also if you'd rather not be cavalier.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cavalier may sound like the coolest, but the inquisitors true sight and dispel are invaluable. The dispell itself makes up for any drawback the class might have.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] A cavalier CAN lay on hands ... really ...

10. Tomi Grin Undergallows Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] CAVALIERS ARE THE BEST PALADIN THERE IS...I'M NOT ONE FOR ALL THE HONOR STUFF,(I'M MORE A THIEF, HENSE THE NAME)BUT I FOUND THE CAVALIER A GOOD AND FUN CHARACTER TO PLAY

FROM THE FAMOUS CALLIMSHAN THEIF TOMI 'GRIN' UNDERGALLOWS

[If you type in all caps again, your post will be deleted. Go read the Forum Rules like you were asked when you registered.] -Tal

[ August 13, 2002, 22:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Sorry my mistake. It has been a while since I played a cavalier. Maybe I confused the cavalier and the inquisitor spells.

12. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

OK, I'll take cavalier. But is it true that cavalier is immune to charm spells?

13. Ragusa

Media:
    iirc yes :D

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

No. Inquisitor is immune to charm spells. Cavalier is immune to fear, not charm. Of course, there is a certain helm that will fix that.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Good grief! I know this topic has been discussed too many times to count, but you might mislead new players by kidding around and saying that Cavalier or Undead Hunter is the best kit. :eek:
    Shame on you veterans! :almostmad:

The Inquisitor is the best Paladin kit.
    True Sight (instant) and by far the best Dispel Magic (also instant) in the game are unmatched abilities.

16. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just pick the kit with the abilities that sound fun to have to you, all three of the kits are good. It just depends on who you ask, which is THE best.

17. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] The best paladin kit is Inquisitor hands down, cos of the amount of the amount of dispel magics and true sights you get at low levels

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I think Cavaliers because...

Inquistor: Bah! His Dispel Magic is cheesy (because it actually dispels twice his level) and this kit makes the Paladin very un-paladiny. A paladin without Clerical Spells and Turn Undead? Bah! Plus there is Keldorn in the game, you know.

Undead Hunter: Is not bad, but there's Anomen and Minsc with their wicked huge Maces of Disruption. Plus, they're not that hard with a few buffs and Negative Plane Protection.

Cavalier: Who needs ranged weapons anyway? The legendary Dragon-Fighting Cavalier! Long live Cavaliers!

19. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Depends whether you're dealing with traditional RP or not.

In game terms, Inquisitor is probably the best, as they can target spellcasters for your mages to breach with True Sight, can dispel the many many many many maladiction spells cast upon your party members, and are immune to many of those spells themselves.

Undead hunter, only for the level drain thing. If you have a Cleric with Restoration/Greater Restoration, no big deal.

Cavalier....how many dragons and demons are in the game? Together I would say less than 20-30. (not going to give out spoiler specifics)

In RP terms, cavalier definitely fits the "knight" image, although any Forgotten Realms adherent could see the options of the other.
    Icewind Dale II has recast the Inquisitor as the Paladin of Mystra, Goddess of Magic. Obviously, it's up to you, but in pure game terms, Inquisitor > Undead Hunter > Cavalier.

Cheers,

-J

20. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I personally prefer the Cavalier as it still offers the feel of a Paladin without too many major differences, and you get bonuses against the most powerful creatures in the game, though there are very few of them.

By the way; I don't know if it is a bug, but a Cavalier can use throwing axes

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.