1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best NPC Team

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord N, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Another idea for next time round (getting ahead of ourselves here, as you havent even played it once :D ), especially if you're not an archer that time, is to take Mazzy. She tends to be a bit underrated as she is a fighter with low strength, but she is the best NPC archer in the game, has some nifty abilities and apparently (although I havent tried this) develops a nice love/hate relationship with Korgan, despite their polar opposite alignments. She's one of my favourite characters and I cant recommend her enough.

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Please take the following with a ton of salt (and the above posts as well) -- these are all our personal opinions, and there is no "perfect party."

I (without naming NPCs specifically) like going with a party built the following way:

1-1.5 divine
    1.5-2 arcane
    .5 thief (at least)
    fill the rest with tanks (I prefer a berserker and a paladin, if possible)

I count multi-classed characters as .5 of a class, as well as the "old" class in a dual class combo (but I count the "new" class in the dual a full 1). It's also a good idea to vary the types of weapons your characters can use, because there is a lot of magical stuff out there, and you want to be able to take advantage of this.

Now, to name a good party, IMHO:

Protagonist: Multiclassed Fighter/Mage
    Jaheira
    Anomen
    Imoen
    Keldorn
    Minsc or Mazzy

Protagonist: Fighter/Cleric multiclass
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Keldorn
    Jan
    Minsc

Protagonist: Archer
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Keldorn
    Aerie
    Minsc

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of a certain few NPCs (and yes, I do switch it up when I don't feel like going for "the perfect party" -- which is impossible as noted above). I don't like leaving Minsc, Jaheira or Imoen (people who were with me in the first game), and Keldorn is cool, and can use the greatest weapon in the game.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Minsc, Keldron, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshi/Immy, Archer.

You can let Aerie go once for a period of no more than three days and still continue the romance.
    You will find that Jaheira leaves your party during the course of your romance and you have to go and get her back. You can take your time, it wont hurt the romance.
    You will also get an option to let Keldron leave for a period. You can take your time as he will wait for you.
    Minsc, Yoshi and Immy will never leave your side of their own accord and will always be ready to rejoin your party.

Most NPCs will need you to help them by doing their quests before/as soon as you make them a member.
    If they dont start off on that note then it might be a while before you get their quests. If so you might want to dump them real soon. You dont want them soaking up your XP do you? ;)

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...for anyone new to Baldurs Gate, there is a rather standard party configuration you should go with, to keep things smooth.

3 Tanks/Fighters/Sword swinging stuff killin' dudes
    1 Thief
    1 Mage
    1 Cleric/Healer

Almost all parties are modifications of this configuration, such as making one of the characters a Fighter/Thief to save a party slot and get another mage or cleric instead.

What you need to do however, is see what your class is, and get the rest of the NPCs accordingly.

This will result in you having the "Best NPC Team". Atleast, while you're new to the game.

Once you have a couple of playthroughs under your belt, you can go it with anyone you like, and know what you're doing! :thumb:

5. Lord N Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Many thanks, to all who responded. You've given me lots of good party-building advice. You guys on this forum are wonderful and quite generous with advice to newbies.

By the way, I like the suggestion to include Mazzy. I haven't even gotten to her in the game yet; but from what I've read about her character, she seems like a fun NPC to bring into the party.

Thanks to all.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's a shame there are no NPC Barbarians, Monks, or Sorcerers.

I have been shuffling NPCs in and out continuously in my first game and I have had no problems so far in getting them to come back. They're all waiting in the Copper Coronet at the moment and I go back and get them if I think they'll be useful for whatever we are doing. I like to have only people in my party most of the time, going up to 5 whenever we acquire a new NPC whilst on a quest. My current core 4 characters are:

A PC Kensai
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Jan

These 4 cover all of the main character roles nicely. 3 melee fighters, 3 ranged fighters, 1 divine spellcaster, 1 arcane spellcaster, 1 thief. It then doesn't matter what skills the 5th character brings.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

You could always just, by ignoring alignments, go with the best there are.

Yourself as Thief - the only way to get a pure thief.

Edwin - unarguably the best mage in the game, due to the fact he is the only pure one.

Viconia - unarguably the best cleric in the game, for the same reason that Edwin is the best mage. She is the only pure cleric.

Korgan - a pure tank. Nearly unmatched for damage, with a high dwarven constitution.

Keldorn - one of the most powerful fighters in the game, with his Inquisitor powers and the ability to use his pally sword a major plus.

Minsc - A big lug who can hold the front line as good as the next guy. Third in the list of strongest fighters.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, if you want a hack 'n slash party that rushes up to every enemy they see, then take Minsc, Keldorn, Korgan, Anomen, and Mazzy.

But, but you want a great combo with a few of each type of character, take Aerie, Jaheria, Yoshi, Keldorn, and Immy, and Sarevok once you get to ToB. :rolling:

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I second Jaguar's most powerful NPC's lineup, except for Minsc. In general the evil npc's are vastly superiour to the good ones with perhaps Keldorn being the exception. Edwin is the without a doubt best mage, even if I dont count Imoen and Nalia as non-pure class mages. They are dual-classed for heavens sake! Edwin have an amulet though which gives him extra spells of every level and thus makes him superiour to any mage, heck, I would even say that he rivals sorcerers on pure power. Korgan is one tough little bugger, he can chop through anything and Viconia is the perfect cleric. Her only drawback is that you really dont need such a pure cleric, she will get a gazillion spells, more than anyone could ever need. To those I like to add Jan and then whatever PC you want even if a tank like one fits best among them.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Minsc, Minsc, Minsc. That's all I ever hear! I personally don't know why Minsc is all anyone ever talks about. But that's cool. Because he's cool. Especially with Unfinished Business.

Anyway, if you're going 1st time with a party, I would tend to leave Jahiera out of it, because, as this is your first time presumeably, you probably won't know how to play her right. I'd leave her until you're nice and familiar with BG2. Minsc is the easiest character to play pretty much. Just point him in whatever direction and his swordarm with do the rest. Leave Aerie out too as she takes a little expierence with the game too.

For your very first party, I would definetly go with:

Keldorn
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Immy
    Aerie would make sense here as a backup arcane/divine, but she's a little tough to play. You may or may not want to take her. Jahiera would also make sense, but again, the same problem. I don't think anyone else would really fit here, so go with another fighter. Valygar would work nicely, but that means you'll have 3 rangers.

I would encourage you to take a fighter/mage for your first run through of BG2. They are the foolproof tanks of BG2. Dual-wielding fighter/mage. Nobody stands a chance.

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Best first party:

Jan!
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Valygar

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The easiest is probably

You - Human Kensai/Thief

Party -
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Valygar
    Mazzy
    Minsc

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

IMHO, a beginner should just make sure every base is covered:

A pure tank
    A priest
    A Wizard
    a thief

After that, just have some fun.

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Kensai/Thief... Does he still have the armor restrictions of the Kensai after he dual-classes?

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Yes he does. No armour, no sheilds and no ranged weapons. You can use throwing daggers.
    Even if you havent yet re-activated your Kensai levels.
    Kensai/Mages can wear robes.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Even without being mages?
    What about elven (chain) mail?

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Kensai can't wear armour. The only exception is robes, and only Kensai/Mages can wear mage robes.

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

All depends on whether you want to powergame or role-play. I'm a believer in roleplaying and the role-breakdown method of party construction, and I think this is the best mix:

2-2.5 tanks (necessary to keep the mages alive)
    1-1.5 divine casters (pure or multi - doesn't matter as much as arcane since they access their top spells earlier)
    1.5-2 arcane casters (one pure, one multi/dual or Bard class)
    0.5 thief (multi or dual is sufficient in SoA)

My personal choices, of course, are affected by my opinions of the NPCs themselves.

My core "Good" party is:
    PC
    Minsc (tank)
    Jaheira (tank/divine caster)
    Imoen (thief/arcane caster)

Based on that, I have the basics of what I need irrespective of the PC's class, so it's a case of getting whoever I want to fill out the group's strengths. My first party was as a Stalker, and I had Aerie and Valygar thrown in. Upon reflection, I think Keldorn would have been a better selection than Valygar, but hey, he's cool and a solid fighter.

My current party is a LE Monk, Korgan, Jaheira, Viconia, Haer'Dalis and Edwin. I think HD will get dropped for Jan (sorry, Scythesong) just so I have a thief in the mix. So long as you've got at least one person for any job, you should be fine.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

My team is:

Me - Assassin
    Aerie
    Minsc
    Natalia
    Anomen

My old team was:

Me - Necromancer
    Jaheria
    Yoshimo/Imoen
    Keldorn
    Viconia
    Haer'Dalis - very under-rated

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If I'm playing a "good aligned" party, the most powerful would have to be:

PC (completely up to you)
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Jaheira
    Nalia
    Yoshimo/Imoen

The only real question here is do you want to have Anomen and Keldorn be your main tanks, or have the PC get involved.

For my evil-aligned parties, it's pretty straight-forward.

PC (need a second main tank, so usually I play either a beserker or a barbarian)
    Korgan
    Viconia (can tank eventually, but not in the beginning)
    Edwin
    Jan
    Haer Dalis'

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.