1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best non DLC Armor and 2 Handed Weapon in DAO

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Munchkin Blender, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    No, unless I'm mistaken you're thinking about the Veshialle. The Axameter can be obtained from a very rare random encounter (+2 Damage, +10 Critical Damage, Lucky, +4 Damage vs. Dragons).

2. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Munchkin - Cailan's armor stays the same when you hit Awakening. It doesn't get downgraded at all.

I noticed that you said you have the Fire and Lightening Grandmaster runes equipped. At some point in Awakening, if you switch weapons, make sure to unequip them because there are 'side quests' you can take on, given to you by Master Wade, to get some very nice armor and weapons that he will make, and those are two of the items he'll need for item creation.

As far as Arcane Warrior armor, I would highly suggest taking a look at the Ivory Tower mod - not only does it look cool (as Cara said), but the stats are very nice and it comes with the armor and the weapon/shield set as well, if memory serves. If not, there's a separate download on the same page for the weapons and shield. Every arcane warrior I've had has used that set.

3. Caradhras

Media:
    The weapons should be with the main file (by the way there is a shield but there are two blades for dual wielding purposes).

But isn't Munchkin Blender playing on the PS3? :hmm:

4. CelticDream

Media:
    Oh you could be right... ack! lol

Well my suggestion still stands, however, with Awakening and making sure he uses the Fire and Lightening Grandmaster runes for the items that Master Wade can create for him.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm glad and mad at the same becaue I'm playing DAO on the PS3. I'm glad because the game interface works very well with a control; however, mad because Bioware and EA have not properly fixed all the BUGS with the console games it is maddening especially when you consider Rogues skills in DA Awakening are DEX based and DEX based rouges in DAO and DA Awakening are not the best type of builds.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    That sucks since there is no way to get a good Rogue in Awakening without putting at least 50 points in Dexterity and if the game doesn't take these points into account it must feel a lot like wasting them. :rolleyes:

By the way, you may find that amusing, but I use a gamepad to play the game on the PC. It's more comfortable that way and I don't have to be glued to my screen. Pads are not supported so I use Xpadder. It works like a charm.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I'm surprise pads are not supported.

Yeah it does suck. Most people who own the consoles don't bother with DA Awakening because Bioware hasn't fixed the biggest BUG; the DEX bug. I mean that bug has been fixed now for quite some time on the PC. You figured when they updated the consoles for DA Awakening they would have also fix the main bugs that the game still had.

I guess the consoles gamers are not important to their gaming plans. I wonder what % of sold DAO and DA Awakening are XBox or PS3?

If you haven't noticed by now you can tell I'm not too happy at all with Bioware and their lack of support for the consoles. I'm looking forward to DA2 but I may not buy it because of how crappy support is for DAO. If I do buy DA2 it will be when it becomes part of PS3 legend games.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    I understand that the console offers some ease of use but when I think about mods I've got many reasons to stick with a PC version no matter what. The lack of proper patching on Bioware's part for the console version is just shameful.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Yeah. As far as mods I'm not that big on them; never really have been though they do bring more to a game than no mods.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    I can understand that, some mods can cause major issues, so far I didn't have any problem with mods and DAO (which is nice given the number of mods I use).

There are some mods I couldn't play without, for instance very simple mods like White Teeth or Circle Be Gone (the circles really annoyed me). Others like Improved Atmosphere and the better UI are just too good and I can't see myself going back to an unmodded game.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I don't get the white teeth mod; if you think about the game and the century the game would be in no one would actually have white teeth. That mod to me makes no sense. In fact it would be cooler if a there was a mod named toothless, which randomly removes on tooth from the characters.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    You can do that with the toolset. I get the "realism" argument but let's be honest, who would care about a toothless Morrigan or Leliana? :D

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

What is the best heavy armor in Awakening in a unmodded game?

What is the best shield and 1 handed sword in a unmodded game?

What is the best 2handed weapon in a unmodded game?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  14. CelticDream

Media:
    Ok, looks like I'm going to have to get the ball rolling again on my PC that I just started in Awakening. I don't remember stats off hand, but I can tell you that what Wade makes with the Heartwood and other materials you can find throughout the game, if you get him the 'ingredients' he asks for, they can be quite powerful. And depending on what you ask him to make with it, you can end up with armor, swords, bows, shields, etc. Until I get back in there, found this on one of the Wiki pages
    and found this link from the same Wiki that has a good number of items listed - though not all of them due to the mass amounts of new items that were introduced in this expansion. I know the Heartwood is found off of a named elite in the Wending Woods and the eldest dragonbone is from the Blackmarsh (think it's a drop from the Queen of the Blackmarsh - a dragon). Just remember to keep the grand master flame and lightening runes because those are two of the 'ingredients' needed for two of the three "fantastical" materials you can present to Wade. Hope this helps a bit!

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I already have the shield.

I'm using the Sentinal Armor right now; I like the way it looks on my Dwarf PC. What is the best 1handed sword. That is all I'm missing right now.

As for the rune stones; how to you craft them? What material do you need?

16. CelticDream

Media:
    Those I got in DAO - I think it was you who said you already had the lightening and fire rune I mentioned equipped on a blade somewhere... I made sure to carry them over because I really haven't touched runecrafting yet. Hell, I don't even know if those are available to craft, to be honest.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I have acquired two things that allow me to craft a paragon runes; what are those. Are the paragon runes above the Grand Master runes? If so, what is the difference or are a paragon rune the amor equal to the grand master rune used in a weapon?

I have to comment on DAO Awakening; it isn't all that bad. I just don't like the beginning part of the game where you are instantly throwin into a fight. There is no real conversation with your companions like in DAO, which I miss. And it is a bunch more fighting than I really like to see. I enjoyed the movies and the interaction that DAO offered that is severly lacking in DAO Awakening.

As for the upgrading the Vigil Keep...

I found the granite for the walls and noticed that it was upgraded.

I found two different ores for Wade to make armors in caves. Was I first suppose to get the iron ore from the merchant or is that for something elese?

18. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Paragon is the highest tier of runes. Take a look at the wiki page for Armor Runes and Weapon Runes.

The Pure Iron you can buy from the merchant is not used in upgrading the keep, but for an entirely different quest. More specifically this quest.

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

How do you upgrade the keep...

I found the granite. I found two different ores for the armors/weapons for the soliders. Is there anything else?

20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There should still be one more ore to find. There's Iron ore from Kal'Hirol, Veridium from Vigil's keep basement, and silverite from the silverite mine.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.