1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best henchman?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Corr Raven, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ah, thanks BTA, I hadn't noticed that about animal companions. I had thought it was just another of those 'roleplaying' options like playing 'fetch' or whatever.

Though I suppose I'll still have to rely on giving them potions in combat, since you can't start conversations while fighting.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    My Necromancer dude is currently on only chapter one and he has Tomi and his familiar, a hellhound. Pretty good I say, tho I haven't played Tomi yet, I went to sleep after I got him. :D

Nobody mentioned Grimgnaw?

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Another silly henchman bug: Since my little moronic assistant Tomi (when I set him in *follow-me* mode) can look through doors when detecting traps :rolleyes: he tends to open doors in unexplored areas to disarm the trap he just found, unavoidably running into groups of enemies he is not only not supposed to but, worse, not at all able to fight .... :rolleyes:
    That has eventually led to me leaving him behind as he would die anyway and to bash chests rather than to wait for him to open them and just to take the risk to trigger traps, eventually I kicked him out a few times to prevent him from getting killed :almostmad:

Probably it was easier to implement the auto-respawn feature for henchmen than to write a proper AI :evil:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 21, 2002).]

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'm playing a wizard/cleric so from my perspective, Daelan is the best henchman.

5. I use Tomi for his sneak attacks, disarming traps, and opening locks. That's all I need him for, and I'm happy with that.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I would be happy would he restrict his activities to exactly that. Combat is not his forte :rolleyes:

:mad: "Und ich hab' es Dir schon tausendmal gesagt ... !!!" :rolleyes:

7. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ive noticed that if your henchman is a weak type, such as Tomi or Boddyknock, any enemy, once weakened, will run away, and attack your weedy henchman. Meanwhile, if your weak, such as a magic user, the enemy's stick with your fighter henchman. Anyone else noticed that?

Um, I find that since ive only been through the game once, with my Paladin, Tomi had the most use (though he lasted about three seconds on the last battle) so he's my favourite henchman.

I reckon that the "stay in the shadows" command should make Tomi hide in shadows, making him most unlikely to be mauled by whatever you come across.

8. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I used Tomi in the first two chapters and he helped a lot, but after that I had so much strength and health that I could bash any chest and trip any trap so after that I used Grimgnaw.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, since this topic has been revived, I'll share my thoughts on the matter.

I've been using Sharwyn since the end of Chapter One (am in Chapter Three now), and she proves decent enough. Her pick locks skill is very useful for my cleric, as he has a hard time bashing locks. He's an elf, so he can almost always see traps, and trigger them himself before she gets hurt. With his Spell Resistance, he usually takes little damage, and regenerates whatever he does take.

I did use Tomi on the first few quests in Chapter One, and I found him to be pretty awesome both in melee with his sneak attacks, and at disarming traps and locks.

I agree with all of you that the AI definitely needs work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.