1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Guitar Solo

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sarevok•, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Rav'n Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If Hammett's god then what's Satrianni?
    Satrianni is Hamett's teacher.....
    Saw G-3 twice and I gotta say steve Vai is THE best Live guitarist on the planet... bar none, I've seen Eddie to Yngwie to Richie Blackmore to Viv Cambell, And Steve is on Another planet when it comes to playing live>

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes, Hammett is good but nowhere near as good as Satch and Vai. It is Satriani with one N btw :wave:

Seen Vai live at the Astoria in London and it was awesome.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    No way is Steve Vai the greatest guitarist. Everyone knows he lost a guitar battle with Ralph Macchio in 1986 :)

Crossroads

4. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Except the it was Steve Vai who actually played what Ralph was supposed to be playing, so your argument doesn't work, even if we ignore the fact that it was just a film (you probably knew, but just thought I'd point it out for those who don't)

I've also seen Steve Vai live (with Tony Macapline also playing... I could hardly beleive my ears when he introduced him), and he is absolutely amazing

[ February 16, 2004, 20:26: Message edited by: metal leper ]

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Vai is the most talented guitarist alive at the moment and has been for a while. Wo0ps off topic shhsss

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Vai is very good. But this is about the best guitar solo, not technical proficiency. I can't remember any of Vai, Satch, and especially not Yngwie's solos. They just don't stick. Randy Rhoads on the other hand solos incredibly and they are certainly memorable.

Anyway, greatest guitarist: Steve Vai, he was the best on the G3 tour; he must have 12 inch fingers or something.
    Favourite guitarists: Randy Rhoads, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho.
    Best solo: Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Kirk Hammett - it's just beautiful.

7. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Page in Stairway to Heaven, Knoppfler in Sultans of Swing, Alexi Liaho in CoB-s Silent Night Bodom night, Iron Maidens Adrian/Daves in Hallowed be thy name... many more...

8. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i'd say, if not the best, then the most original; the intro of poundcake by Eddie Van Halen.
    Who would ever figure using a drill at a guitar and make music? :thumb:

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] --------------------------------------------------
    Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley. Best guitar solo ever by the best guitarist ever. Randy Rhoads is God.
    --------------------------------------------------
    That is so treu I think his solo on Crazy Train takes second place :)

10. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ok I've only recently realized that rap is really a whole load of ****, after been exposed to some Linkin Park, Metallica and Dream Theater (I didn't regret my change of taste for a second) so I don't exactly know very much about music outside of rap, but I'd have to say that Dream Theaters album "six degrees of inner turbulance" has some of the best guitaring I have ever heard (which wouldent exactly be much but I'm still sure it's a good competitor at least)

11. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The second one in Dark of the Sun by Arch Enemy.

12. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Am I the only one who thinks (or has even heard of) Garry Moore?

And I agree Kirt Hammet is great, even for an old man :p

13. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've seen Gary Moore live, and despite a few problems with his gear he was amazing

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Rage Against the Machine - Calm Like a Bomb

gives me shivers every time.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix was simply the man when it came to the guitar. This particular tune has such a haunting and lingering effect on me.

16. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Tough one. I'm torn between Eddie Van Halen on respect the wind, and Dave Gilmour on time.

<Edit: I forgot Richie Blackmore on Child in time>

[ April 15, 2004, 20:51: Message edited by: takara ]

17. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Wolf Hofmann's solo in Accept's "Metal Heart". The guitar solo in this song is Beethoven's "Fur Elise".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.