1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best class(kit) and race?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tanthalasa, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Tanthalasa Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

heya

i'm gonna try soloing as something but i wanted ur input on a good char with lots of kewl abilities and a good race. :confused:

thanks!

2. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The easiest class for a solo is an Elven Fighter/mage/thief. It can use nearly all items in the game exept armour (hint: elven chain mail!).

3. Tanthalasa Gems: 2/31

ok thanks. is there anywhere where i can get elven chain? how much is it to buy? what profs should i have her/him get? any items or weapons that are good?

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Elven chain is a bit later in the game (spoiler below) and good prficienties are up to you, how you want to use the character in combat. As for good equipment, well, the games full of it. The most useful things I found were rings and belts to be honest. Weapons and armour wise, there's a lot of good stuff for each type, possibly with the exception of bastard swords and scimitars where's there a lack of amazing things and are usually +2 until near the end of the game.

The drow elven chain can be found in the Underdark, but will disintegrate on the surface. Regular elven chain is found mainly in the Elven city at the end, and the best in the game there held by the black dragon. Early on, the guildmaster at the docks, Aran, has some. Easiest way to get it is to side with Bodhi and kill him as I have never managed to get it any other way.

5. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Elven Chain Spoiler
    You can get a suit of elven chain mail off of one of the warring families in Trademeet. Once you retrieve the artifact they are after, all you have to do is give it to one of the families, and not to Logan Coprith. When you give it to either family, both will attack you and one of the dudes is wearing elven chain. This suit may not be as good as the one's found later, but you can get it almost right away.

6. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You can use cheats or pickpocket it from Aran. There is elven chain for bards only as well.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

As I understand, Elven Chain Mail is best for Fighter/Mages and Bards who want some good armor but want to retain their spellcasting abilities. However, Elven Chain Mail (and its darker counterpart Drow Chain Mail) can be obtained only in the really later parts of the game. Of course, the Melodic Mail (talk to the actors at the Five Flagons, Bridge District) is best for Bards. If you have a mage or sorcerer, I would suggest that the Robe of Vecna is a better choice. If you don't have the Collector's Edition merchants, I suggest you settle for Bracers of Armor. These will do really well; and I find Elven Chain Mail to be fairly obsolete, given the Armor Class capable with the Bracers or Magic Robes.

As for proficiencies, take whatever you feel suits you; there are an abundance of magical weapons of each kind - and I assure you that you won't be disappointed with whatever type of weapons you choose. Of course, getting a proficiency in a ranged weapon is vital, as are blunt weapons if you intend to face Clay Golems.

Killing Aran for the armor will not work unless you have sided with Bodhi. I don't believe it's possible to pickpocket him for the armor, as he is wearing it.

And IIRC, Elven Chain Mail provides AC 5. The Mail obtained from the Black Dragon should be better - and I believe it's in the area of AC 2 or so. Drow Chain Mail, IIRC, is AC 2 (+3 enchantment)

[ December 08, 2002, 00:21: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Forogt about the suit in Trademeet. Although doing it that way lowers your rep by 1 and gives less XP IIRC. Still, a suit of elven chain in return, can't complain, the rep can be rebuilt. These peasant's they're easily impressed later ;) .

9. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would suggest you just go with the bracers of AC 3 from the merchant in the Adventurers' Market. A decent Dexterity should bring your armour class down near zero pretty easily.

Try learning Stoneskin and casting it every day if you're really worried.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] :idea:

My advice? Stop asking these fools what to play as and go out there and find out what you like best yourself.
    :thumb:

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] DOH! Gopher with the best words of wisdom. Oh well, but he did ask ;) .

12. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hm, the best race and kit... whatever I feel like playing. :D

13. Wargon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] So far I have only tried a dual class fighter / mage. I waited until my fighter was 9th level then switched, he had 135hp . If I were to do it again I may have waited for 12th level, but having Minsc or another fighter as back up works well enough. At the moment he is 15th level magic user and quite powerfull with either magic or attacking.

Good Luck
    :)

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The most noble path is one of the Holy Warrior, my friend. :D

I'm a Cavallier, but Inquisitor and Undead Slayer ones are far easier to play. I won't give you exact specifications, check them on creation screen. I'll only tell you what they give you.

Inquisitor - see Keldorn. If you give higher stats, eeh... And Carsomyr in hand. Mages fall afore you like canes. Your Dispel Magic is twice your level (nothing survive this) and you also dispel on each hit. If ** 2H style, you swing Carsomyr like a butter knife. No mage casts any spell before you treat him with your beloved Holy Avenger tearing down most his defences. True Sight is also of some use. The same to other immunities. Pity you don't lay hands. No spells. Sorry.

Undead Slayer - the damned cadavers may well just stay and gaze upon your shining plate. Immune to draining, so you won't loose any levels. Immune also to almost everything except physical damage from those guys. You're going to earn loads of XP this way in a fairly easy-going manner. No laying hands :( No spells.

Cavallier - the most joyful news is the name ;)
    Immunity to fear is of some use, resist fear helps to get your party back fighting. Total poison immunity simply gives you one character (hehe in solo whole party even ;) ) able to deal with poison attacks, traps etc. +3 vs daemons and dragons is nice, but nothing to convince you to take this kit instead of another one. As I say, I simply AM a Cavallier ;D Ah, and you don't lose anything except ranged attacks, but who cares about them really? :D

Note: laying hands sort of makes you a paladin (in non-dnd it's even more like that)

15. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sorry to reply on such an old topic, but I couldnt help it..

Another great kit for soloing (or even in a party) would be Kensai/Mage..

Would be like having a magical butcher, that just kills....kills...and kills them..

and in addition he also has magical abilities..

I would dual-class him after lvl. 7..

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Like we haven't see that before. ;) :p

17. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sure you have.. but maybe he hasn't :p

18. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think that he is a she. Arwyn sounds like a girls name.

19. Tanthalasa Gems: 2/31

i am a he. but thanks. Arwyn is a female elf from LOTR. but this is off topic and we'll get in troulbe. :D

20. Register Gems: 29/31

ARWEN is a female elf from LotR

ARWYN is a female human from a fantasy comic named Sojourn

Just a little FYI

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.