1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best choise of racial enemy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Rakanishu, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Is there a best choice for a racial enemy, or at least a good one?

The enemy should be tough to fight, but also common enough to be practical, right? I guess dragons are out (I think).

Are vampires a good choice?

2. Wingfoot Guest

Vampires is a good choice. there seem to be a good amount of them from what i have seen so far and they can be tough if you face more than 3 or 4 at a time. i think Trolls would be a good choice as well, i have come across quite a few Trolls too.

3. Bhaal Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would go with a lich or a dragon. Vampires are wimps compared to a lich.

4. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

Hmmm....ya perhaps Liches and dragons might be good, but there I get the feeling that there are so few of them you could count them with your hands. Is it really worth it this way?

Are the trolls really difficult to fight? I mean if their just Ogres with special regenration it isn't worth it right?

So far based on a choice of vampires, liches, dragons and trolls I say I'd be swayed towards the vampire.

The thing is, I'm probably keeping Minsc and his racial enemy is already the vampire.

Also, golems seem to be a sensible choice, but I really don't know.

What about Beholders? Any other nasty creatures?

5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Golems and vampires seem to be common enemies, they are good choices. Not sure about dragons or liches, I've only seen 1 dragon and no liches but I'm only in 5.

Beholders have made an appearance, but not a huge one that I've seen.

6. PizzaFiend Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

what about spiders?
    I looked over the list and tried to think what kind of creature I would encounter the MOST during the game. Bioware seems to love spiders (sword spider,giant spider,dimension spider) I havent actually fought many so far.
    Without spoiling toooo much, I get the strong feeling vampires and golems would be good choices as well. My 2 cents......

7. Armin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If foregoing any roleplaying considerations and picking the racial enemy for sheer gaming benefits, one should consider what bonus this actually gives: +4 to attack rolls. That's all.

A ranger in BG2 *starts* with a THAC0 in single digits. My Minsc went as low as -4 in the endgame.

For 90% of enemies in the given list, the +4 simply won't matter, as you'll hit them on a roll of 2 anyway ;)

That's why I'd pick dragons... they have AC low enough to make the +4 do a difference, and there's 5 of them in the game actually (didn't fight the good one though...)

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

Holy Cow!

Armin is right!

Thanks!

I think I am now in a better position to choose my racial enemy......

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.