1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best and worst HLAs

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chris Williams, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As some1 stated earlier that you cannot use more than 1 HLA per round as they count as a spell. Well what if you char was a fighter/mage. Improved alacrity and then HLA to you hearts content. Does this work has anyone tried.

For major cheese why not try this in conjunction with a time stop and see the heads roll.

Can someone try this(I currently don't have ToB on the go) and give me an answer.

2. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Death Rabbit is right on the money with this one! :thumb:

3. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Has anyone checked my suggestion yet??

4. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

you can use improved alarcrity with any other level 10 spells......

cast improved alarcrity and then time stop and then dragons breath if you wish......
    it works

but you cannot do whirwind and then assasination simply because the whirlwind will wear off before you can utilize an assasination .

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I haven't tried, but I don't think alacrity applies on special abilities.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's the difference between the Light/Dark Planetars, and the Regular/Fallen Divas? I know if you're good you only choose the good ones, if evil you only choose the fallen/dark ones, and if neutral you get either. But does it matter? I assume the spell selection is slightly different, but I can't imagine one would be more powerful than the other in combat.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

They are identical, except for one thing. Dark Planetars have Unholy Word, while regular Planetars have Holy Word. In addition, the dark summons look a lot cooler.

8. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

tracking is a useless skill, no doubt about it, though its nice if you are playing through the game for the first time and dont know the location of enemies.

Scribe scrolls is not useless, first of all it is a nice source of experience (if you take the time), second of all, it gives you some scrolls to be used in thight situations, especially if you solo. I admitt that its not a good ability either, but its not useless either.

9. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Menion Leih

"Deathblow stuff. If anything dies by this, it probably wouldn't have lasted very long anyway"

Heh, don't forget UserUnfriendly's Cheese Guide, greater deathblow PLUS an area effect weapon equals dead baddies (i.e mindflayers, the drakes in the Improved Abazigal fight etc). Nice to have Druid fire seeds then.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Greater Deathblow affects Mindflayers? That's somewhat unbelievable. It's a great strategy for the Underdark and Crom Faeyr hunting if it's true.

11. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

@jeremiah

Well, if you're willing to use that kind of cheese, I guess it's an OK skill. But I still don't think it is a very useful skill. Most enemies that die by greater deathblow won't give me any problem by the time I get it.
    Mindflayers are pretty though (although they pose no real threat by this time), but you barely ever meet them in ToB, so unless you want are getting your HLA's before the Underdark, there isn't much use.
    Second, I don't think the drakes at Improved Abazigal are your main concern. But since they're pretty annoying, it can be useful.

@Rastor
    Not really THAT great a strategy since it means getting more than 3,000,000 xp before the Underdark. And if you have that, the mindflayers should be easy anyway.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've always thought it's really stupid that a thief can scribe scrolls but a mage can't! Where is the logic in that??!!

[ November 05, 2003, 17:18: Message edited by: Lord Keldin Depaara ]

13. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Sounds illogical, I know, that mages cannot scribe scrolls but this is probably for reasons of game balance. Otherwise, you could rest, copy all the spells that you've learnt onto scrolls and rest again, effectively doubling your spells (or generating infinite gold). In pen and paper D&D, mages and clerics of a certain level can make scrolls, but it requires rare and precious materials and a lot of time to do so (the expense and time being at the DM's discretion). You couldn't have such a scheme in BG2, so no scrolls for mages.

14. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well Deva is the worst. Unless im mistaken in this game it has no abilities more than the Planetar, but the planetar also has a better spell selection. Could be wrong though. Perhaps the deva has more cleric spells or something. I prefer planetar however.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

i have picked energy blades, and they are like improved melf's minute meteors - really rip through enemies

best HLA = use any item - the possibilites are endless...

worst HLA = tracking - eh.... about as good as infravision

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Favourites:

Use any Item
    Assassination
    Greater Whirlwind
    Critical Strike

Worst:

Tracking
    Create Scroll
    Deathblow

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

From a role playing perspective, tracking rocks in that once I've determined a particular enemy in an area, I no longer feel cheesy about prepping for that enemy. But for game mechanics, it's kind of stupid once you've already played through.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.