1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Actors Around

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I should make a special mention for Phillip Seymore Hoffman for being an outstanding character actor. Whilst doing so I should mention the WORST character actors. They might be good actors, but just don't ask them to do an accent or play a character.

3)Robert Mitchum
    2)Sean Connery. He can play a scottish Russian sub captain no prob.
    1) The all time worst by miles is John Wayne. He might play a part, but is ALWAYS John Wayne.

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In no particular order:

Morgan Freeman
    Gary Oldman
    Sean Penn
    Tom Hanks
    Sean Bean
    Dustin Hoffman
    Tony Leung (HK)
    Ahn Sung-Ki (S.Korean)
    Daniel Day-Lewis

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Again, no particular order:
    Al Pacino
    Ian McKellen
    Johnny Depp
    Amitabh Bacchan
    Abhishek Bacchan

The last two are Indian actors, so I'm not sure if you guys have heard of them...but they're both brilliant...

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I'm a tool for excluding Phillip Seymoure Hoffman. If you haven't seen Capote yet, do so - he's haunting.

@ TrueBlue,

I like Crowe for his depth, and certainly range. He can be courageous and heroic like in 'Master & Commander,' or vulnerable and modest like in "The Insider,' or sinister and cool like in 'Virtuosity.' He can believably wear so many hats, which to me is the mark of a great actor. I personally don't find him boring at all, but again - we each have different taste in actors.

It's exactly that lack of versatility that makes me think actors like Pacino and DeNiro are overrated - because they play essentially the same guy in every movie they're in. They're type-cast as themselves. Which isn't to say I don't admire and appreciate them as actors, I do - it's just that I find claims of their greatness as 'actors' to be wanting.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@DR: How is Pacino playing the same guy in all his movies? Agreed, he plays a mob boss ala Scarface, or the cool mafia don in Godfather...but those are similar only on paper! If you've seen the movies, you will notice that the two roles are vastly different.

And did you see the Devil's Own?? He was brilliant in that also, I thought. Then there's so many more movies I can't remember off the top of my head...oh though there was this one particular movie where he plays a blind guy...I think it was called Scent of a Woman. Not sure...but yeah, I really disagree with you there..

6. Takara

Media:
    Yeah, it was Scent of a woman, great film. And I think you mean Devil's advocate. :p

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, let's see....

Scent of a Woman: Blind tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Devil's Advocate: Lawyer tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Scarface: Cuban tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

The Recruit: CIA tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Heat: Police tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

The Insider: CBS Producer tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Dog Day Afternoon: Bank robber tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Frankie & Johnie: Short-order cook tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

2 for the Money: Sports-bookie tough guy who hoots and hollars key dialogue...

Etcetera forever.

The Godfather I'll give you; his acting style changed quite a bit with his voice during the early 80's, but beyond that - to me, he's more or less Al Pacino each and every time. I never forget for a second that I'm watching Al Pacino and instead the character he's playing - which is the mark of a great actor. His outrageous personal characteristics are so interwoven with his acting style that the two are impossible not to distinguish.

He's never played a British man (never seen the Devil's Own, so, that may cancel out), or a positive hero, or a person with a disability (blindness is pretty easy acting), or a happy-go-lucky, etc. When an actor steps out of his type-element to play something radically different than his specialty - and pulls it off - THAT'S depth. Either Pacino can't do that, or he's never asked to. Why would he want to? He makes plenty of money being himself.

And no, I don't think he's a bad actor - I love the guy. He's just no great actor, and generally over-rated. I think people too often confuse quality of the character he plays with the quality of the acting that brings that character to life. So you might be thinking "DR, how can you say Scarface was bad acting?!" To which I reply, "No, Tony Montana (aka Scarface) was fine - it was Pacino who could have done better."

;)

[ August 08, 2006, 10:53: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

8. Takara

Media:
    A reasonable and well thought out opinion DR. As for not seeing the Devils own.. don't worry. Personally I felt it kind of gave some alright factor to the awful IRA. And the film had Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford, no Al Pacino.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah - that's what I thought. I never saw it, but I never remembered Pacino sharing top billing with Ford and Pitt, which seems impossible if he were really in it.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pacino does not have much depth, the most varied roles he's played are probably:

Author! Author!
    Insomnia
    Sea of Love
    And Justice of All

They're not much different that his other roles.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.