1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Berserker Minsc: no HLAs?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hethan the Skald, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I think many of you already know about this mod, the one that tweaks Minsc, giving him a berserker kit that improves his Enrage ability (making him way less likely to attack your fellow NPCs instead of enemies, as he usually does). In exchange, it takes away his ability to cast priest spells.

Usually, I don't go for mods that change the NPCs or even character classes but this one seemed fine. How the hell does Minsc cast spells anyway? His WIS is like 6! And it doesn't match his personality at all ("Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!").

Problem is, after he reached level 16 or 17, he stopped gaining weapon proficiency points. The + and - buttons that are by the proficiency list even disappeared. I thought this happened when you no longer gained proficiency points, and since he was in a preety high level (for SoA at least) this might be the case. But then even my bard kept on gaining proficiency points. And now that I'm in ToB, Minsc is the only character that does not gain High Level Abilities. I searched some FAQs and found out that Rangers gained their 1st HLA at level 19 or 20. He already reached level 22.

Anyone here used this mod through ToB as well? Did that happen to you? Does it screw up Minsc's class so the game won't recognize it and thus never give him proper HLAs? HELP

Oh yeah, and now he IS able to cast priest spells. What the...?

Other mods I have installed: Solaufein, Dungeon be Gone, Unfinished Business (no new quests, only dialogue files and cosmetic changes). Oh yeah, and a NPC that I made myself that didn't mess up with any kits or classes for that matter.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    This seems like a bug of the specific MOD that transform Minsc into a Bersker. Though a Berseker is a fighter kit not a Ranger. Maybe you could use SK to manualy give him HLA and Profiencies point, just a thought. Other than that I don't know.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

You only stop gaining proficiency points if you can't use any more, as in everything you could spend any points on is maxed out. With a vanilla ranger (i.e. no weapons restricted & can specialize), this shouldn't happen until past level 50, nevermind level 15. And rangers should gain HLAs starting at level 18 or 19, while fighters should get them at level 20 or 21.

This sounds very much like a mod conflict or bug, and I'd report it at the mod's home thread over at PPG. You could try PMing Drew about it, but I wouldn't put too much faith in our Drew being the same as their Drew.

@Ofelix:
    The Berserker Minsc mini-mod does not change Minsc into the fighter Berserker you know. It instead gives him a new ranger kit. For turning Minsc into an a fighter Berserker, you would need Blucher's Alternate NPCs mod.

4. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I don't think is the mod itself, I also have it and as soon as I get level 18 I get my first HLA.

But the person that you want to talk to is Drew, and if you can not found him, you can also look for him in http://forums.gibberlings3.net

Although your right about the berserker being a fighter kit, Drew actually change the ranger class, just to disable the cleric spell and adding the berserking rage from the kit
    that kit. It still is a ranger.

EDIT
    They are the same person!!

[ April 14, 2006, 01:01: Message edited by: Maurolava ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Hey thanks you all. I'll browse around their boards or look for Drew. I should probably have done that in the 1st place! :o

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I want one that makes Minsc a barbarian like he should be. But what I've looked for it I haven't found one yet.

7. Felinoid

@starwalker:
    Blucher's got you covered. Check the link in my above post, and download the "lvl11npcs.zip" file.

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'll have to check it out. Is it something that takes any special order or anything to install?

9. Felinoid

I wouldn't know; I haven't tried it. If I wanted to make Minsc a Barbarian I would've done it with SK and released my own non-WeiDU mini-mod. :p

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    OOh my error then. I assumed that it turn him into a fighter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.