1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beards...?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eilonwy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I have a goatee and sideburns most of the time. Except for now, since I don't have a job yet, I am just letting it grow.
    Joacqin, for you and anyone else who wants to grow a beard, but doesn't have the hair yet, here's some tips I remember reading about in GQ and Men's Health.
    Shave everyday for a month or two. Shave twice a day if you can. Shaving facial hair often is just like pruning a new bush. (Ok, shut up everyone, you know what I mean). If you cut it often it promotes faster and thicker growth. Same thing with shaving your face. Don't want your beard growing all the way up your face? Don't shave the peach fuz on your upper cheek. Also, eat a banana everyday while you are shaving everyday. The protein in bananas helps promote hair growth.
    And for God's sakes man, don't do what I did once on a dare. Don't use nair to shave your beard. You will not have facial hair for months. LOL

2. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Cool Falstaff, a seasonal beard :grin:
    And yes, Vermillion's beard is prickly. He's never had it very long, so I couldn't tell you whether it goes softer as it grows. Maybe I'll find out one day ;)

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Morgoth, let me try to comfort you: IIRC it took me approx 10 years to learn to shave without bloodshed, even in winter and even when shaving daily then, so let me share my deep wisdom with you and all those who are suffering from the daily morning bloodshed: ;)
    • Use a good oldfashioned shaving soap plentiful (not that bull from the tube and no spraysoap either) and
    • use a good, soft broom to put the soap in your face. Mind to wash out the soap after you're finished with shaving; that ensures a creamy soap foam, if you don't you'll ruin your broom quickly
    • plus use a fresh blade every two or three shaves (a male beard hair has the cutting resistance of a copper wire, the blades get dull quick - and a dull blade is a guarantee for bloodshed) and
    • finally use a good aftershave. Personally I prefer alcoholic ones, they also desinfect the skin in case you did cut yourself despite all care.
    Now only train and train again with patience (shaving hastily is not recommended anyway) ... :heh:

4. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well another problem with beards is the colour of your hair! as my colour tends to be red, and my face is rather red as well you can't see a thing if I don't shave. Only after a week and a half, it starts showing!

Unfortunately though, it's itchy way before that, so i shave every other day/ once every three days.

5. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Or, another way not to cut yourself is to use an electric razor. Buy a decent one that gives a close shave. And it saves money on blades.
    Even if it doesn't give as close a shave as a blade, you won't be affraid of shaving everyday coz you won't need to worry about making your face look like sword spider's training ground.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, I'm probably not the one to really give any tips.

But these "new" razors out, with the double and triple blades, really do work.

The "Mach3" is the new one I use. And they've engineered it well.

The blades are *very* open. This should appeal to the ladies more than I think they give credit, as you can wash out the hair from the blades like it was a strainer. The blades aren't enclosed at all; they are held mostly at the ends. So, when you're shaving your bikini line, or those armpits you've not gotten to in a while, the razor doesn't get gummed up. You just turn it upside down, and let the water pressure push the hair right past and out of the razor blades.

And, unless you practice with it some, you can't bear down hard on your skin. So the blades never really scrape hard. It does take a few extra strokes if you have really long, nappy hair. But the razor burn (and the nicks) are reduced.

Overall, it actually is a good razor. Yes, the blades cost considerably more. But it seems like you can use them a little bit longer than the normal ones. Although, I've not really been using it all that long. Not quite a month, now. So I've only changed blades once or twice.

7. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

ej, Mach3 is an amazing razor! The only disadvantage I can find is that the blades are fairly expensive. Other than that, your face feels as smooth as a baby's ass, and there are rarely, rarely any nicks. I've been using it for more than a year now, and it hasn't let me down!

8. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've had a goatee for the last 12 years, a full beard for the last month (i got REAL lazy over Christmas), and haven't had a haircut since I grew my goatee.

Beards are much lower-maintenance than having to shave daily, IMO.

If we were meant to be clean-shaven and short haired, we would be born bald and stay that way. :D

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I agree, Gilette Mach3 shaves better than anything. I've shaved with an electric razor for years, and it never shaved me silkysmooth.

As for the price, they're worth it.

God, I sound like a commercial :D

10. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I prefer the Mach 2 myself. I get the generic drugstore version though, it's the same thing, and is cheaper.
    Tried the Mach 3, and I practically needed a transfusion every time. Those blades are TOO sharp! I don't need to shave THAT closely.

11. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yochimbo, I like your style. Same thing happened with me only I got lazy ALL SUMMER. I had a nasty, skanky, bin-ladenesque beard for the longest time, about 5 or six months, and finally got tired of the terrorist jokes.

With me facial hair is a fact of life, considering it has been with me since I was 10 in the form of a fuzzy (but dark) little mustache. I started shaving when I was 12 and had to shave every day to keep a smooth young boy face. When I turned 14 I decided that hey, as long as I can I will. And I proceeded to grow my first mustache, chin beard combo (fitting as that was the only part of my face hair even grew at the time, it didn't even connect into a full goatee.)

Since the early days, I have treated my facial configuration as a creative way to keep people I know on their toes. I will just randomly decide to go from the jawline beard to mutton chops just cause I feel like it. My facial hair is an artform, certain pieces i have crafted are:

The Weapon-X: for the X-Men fans, I grew long pointy mutton-chops and earned the nickname Weapon-X for my resemblance to that immortal figure.

The Robert the Bruce: a sort of elongated goatee that grows below the jawline down the neck in a kind of semi circle, I wore this with short squared sideburns.

The Sheriff: my first facial configuration. Just watch Robin Hood King of Thieves, the Kevin Costner one, and look at the Sheriff of Nottingham's mustache, and round chin beard effect.

The Jawline: A very straight forward way of looking clean-shaven for the less-adventurous ladies, but still supporting your rugged-manly ego. I prefer to wear mine about a half inch or inch wide, remember to get your neck if you plan on using this facila configurations.

The Metallica: My current style, and the one I have worn the most next to just full-beard. A nice bushy chin beard along with long side burns. A little cliche maybe but be creative, throw in a soul patch above the chin beard or wear the beard under the chin instead of over it.

Facial hair is a glorious thing that we must all celebrate and embrace. If the powers that be wanted man to have no beard, then we would be a society of A-sexual naked mole-people. Not pleasant, so flaunt your facial hair! Fight back against the oppresion of soft-skinned women, so afraid of a man she wants her man to look like a woman! Don't let employers make you shave! Fight against Disneyland's suppression against poeple with beards! Walt Disney himself wore a broad mustache and would frequently forgoe shaving in the morning! Is this right? No!......

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I don't have a beard and won't be growing one anytime soon, but if I were I'd make durned well sure that I had a good mustache to go with it! I can't stand the look of a bare lip on top of a hairy chin. As for the style of beard that is only on the underside of the chin and down the neck, that just makes me think of something that hasn't seen sunlight in a long time and is starting to grow mold. Ewwww.

One woman's preferences. Good thing there's only one man in the world who has to take them into account, eh?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.