1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Llandon, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm really hooked on BSG! I have 3 new guilty pleasures this year: "Lost," "Stargate:Atlantis," and "Battlestar Gallactica!"

I think I like the new Starbuck and Adama more than the original series...But the old Colonel Tigh was the MAN!

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Did you see the episode "The Hand of God" that was on Friday night at 10:30?

It was great.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hah! Hand of God was awesome! So far, the best one, I think.

And there are more than 13 shows this season. I checked on my T.V. menu, and after the next one, there are at least two more. I would have checked furthur, but my T.V. hates me and decided to laugh at me by not letting me do what I want.

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Nope...this season is only 13....last week was number 10...next week number 11(which I hear is kinda slow) and then a two parter for 12 & 13.......12 and 13 are supposed to be awesome.

EDIT:

Well the last episode of season 1 airs tonight ar 10Pm EST. They are showing the last 3 episodes back to back starting at 8pm.

Time Magazine named it one of the 6 BEST DRAMAS on TV right now....and USA Today has an article on it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-03-31-battlestar_x.htm

[ April 01, 2005, 23:07: Message edited by: Llandon ]

5. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I just can't get into it. I am an oldie who grew up on shows like BG back in the 1970s but I am not one for nostalgia. After Babylon 5(best sci-fi T.V> show EVER!) it takes a lot to impress me I guess as far as sci-fi T.V. shows but this new BG doesn't do it. For one thing the old BG had only a few real reasons to watch it. Namely cylons and more cylons!
    This new BG doesn't have cylons. It has some totally human-looking mechanoid things which do not begin to compare to the red-'eyed' metallic mences of the original.

It's not that the show is not well written or acted or anything like that. It's just not very enticing from an aesthetic POV. Humans and more humans battling disease adn robots dressed up as humans is a lot of "sci" but not much "fi". It has all the allure of the waiting room at the doctor's office.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I watched the first eight episodes of season one last week and while I wouldn't say that it was great I would say that it was entertaining enough that I will probably continue watching it.

Oh, and RuneQuester - there are still some big nasty robot looking Cylons around - they just don't get much screen time.

I am most definitely NOT a fan of the original series. My father is big fan of the original series (he was SO happy when I gave him the DVDs for Christmas a couple years ago :rolleyes: ) and I have suffered repeatedly over the years from exposure to its 70s corniness.

That was the main reason why I didn't give the new series a try at first - which I sort of regret now given that I have not managed to get ahold of a copy of the mini-series.

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Actually there are at least 2 episodes with mechanical "red eye" cylons in action...actual gun battles. One is in episode #1 "33" and another comes later in the first season. Both are well done, but rather short in duration.

Like an idiot...I have already read some spoilers for the second season and I'll share one with y'all

SPOILER!!!!!
    In Episode 2 of the second season(July 2005), the mechanical Cylons board Galactica and shoot the place up. Apollo leads a team of Marines to fight them

8. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sweet. Asking a spoiling question:
    Is the pregnant Boomer really a cylon? Are all Boomers Cylon's? That would kinda suck, imho. Or did Cylon's model themselves after a real individual? What's going to happen??? @Llandon, could you pm me or post the site where you found the spoilers?

/end spoiler questions.

Who was Boomer in the original BG?

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The original (and only real) Boomer was played by Herb Jefferson Jr.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The current Boomer may not be real, but she sure is better :p

12. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

LOL....well I know she is real...I saw her on tv for 13 nights this winter.

13. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Yeah. What a hunk. The new Boomer I mean. Never saw the old series. Thanks.

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I really hope they bring the Battlestar Pegasus into this series...Nothing was better than Lloyd Bridges as Commander Cain!! He kicked a$$!!

Who could possibly take his place though?

15. el timtor Gems: 13/31

Veteran

The "new" Starbuck is more masculine than the old one... :D

@Ravynn
    SciFi Channel occasionally runs four- to six-episode marathons of the original series, usually in the morning hours, if you're interested.

16. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I think lots of people would love to see the Pegasus and Cmdr. Cain show up. There is a lot of discussion about it over at the scifi boards.

IIRC Ron Moore said in one of his blogs that he's thought about the Pegasus, but as of yet there are no plans for an episode.

17. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

@ el timtor. Thanks! I'll check it out.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, despite my earlier comments that nothing could beat the original Battlestar Galactica, I did watch a whole episode of this new one and it was at least watchable.

My questions are:
    - is this a sequel, prequel, or ‘re-imagining’ of the original?
    - Where are the scenes that look like they take place on a planet located? I thought they were supposed to be floating around in deep space.
    - What is that woman the president of exactly?
    - What is going on with that guy with the snooty English accent? Is he a bad guy? Who is that blonde chick he hangs out with?

19. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] These are spoliers
    - is this a sequel, prequel, or ‘re-imagining’ of the original? More of a re-imaging of the original. Many of the same character names and the destruction of the 12 colonies. But the cylons are different, some even look human.

- Where are the scenes that look like they take place on a planet located? I thought they were supposed to be floating around in deep space. Caprica - The first episodes are on Caprica prior to the Cylon attack. They do go to other planets, but a lot of the on planet episodes on are Caprica or Cylon occupied Caprica.

- What is that woman the president of exactly? She was secretary of Education for the Colonial govt. After the Cylon attack she was the highest ranking govt official alive - she became president of the 12 colonies...But only 50,000 people remain.

- What is going on with that guy with the snooty English accent? Is he a bad guy? Who is that blonde chick he hangs out with? Gaius Baltar unwittingly caused the destruction of the colonies because he was seduced by a female Cylon (the blonde chick). She implanted some kind of chip into his brain while he was sleeping and he's the only person that can see her now. There are 6 or 7 versions of the human looking Cylons. The blonde chick and Boomer are two of the versions.

20. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I know a couple of answers, since I saw the pilot.
    BTW the pilot episodes are on DVD. You could find them to rent.

This is really a retelling. According to this plot there was a Human-Cylon war years ago. With the Cylons looking like they did in the origional BG. The war was mostly won by the Humans. There was a peace treaty and the Cylons retreated to some unknown planet. The BG in this movie is the last remainig og the old battlestars from this war. The Cylons come back for a new war. Since all the new battlestars are too tech-reliant, the Cylons wipe them all out with a computer virus. The BG is the only one left since it has 'ancient' technology.
    The woman was the treasury secretary or something like that and she became the presedent of the 12 colonies (now all dead) because she was the only one in succession that lived. She was visiting the BG around the time the war started.
    The guy is being 'haunted' by the blonde chick. (Is she really just a memory or maybe some 'porogranm' implanted in his head?) He was the computer genius of the colonies and the chick (Actually a Cylon spy) tricked him into letting her access all the milatary codes to the computer systems. That is how the Cylons made their virus.

I guess the planet scenes are whenever they stop for supplies or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.