1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battleground God

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Arabwel, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I ran into this quiz and thought that with all the religion-related discussions we have been having, this one is quite interesting.

For reference's sake, I took 2 direct hits and bit one bullet :)

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I didn't get hit nor did I bite any bullets.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I got hit 4 times because of inconsistent answers. I like this quiz it makes you think.

I also did the 'create your own diety' one. I need to work on that one too.

:thumb: Arabwel

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have been awarded the TPM medal of honour. Unscathed.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    TPM medal of distinction, one bullet and one direct hit. Nursing my arm in my sling. :p

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No problems at all. But as someone who has spent most of their life to this point in school, I'm very cautious about absolute answers like "must" or "needs". :heh: Being agnostic means that most of those questions I answered False just on an "I can't know that" level, which I imagine didn't give the test much to work with.

7. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I bullet, one hit.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

No hits, no bullets. Consistent Atheist. :p

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You have been awarded the TPM service medal! This is our third highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground. Two hits, no bullets.

Interesting.

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Two direct hits, one near miss.

First, I said that It was rational to assume that the Loch Ness monster didn't exist, but then Aethiesm was in fact a matter of faith.

Also, I acknowledged that it was okay to base your understanding of spiritual matters, but then would not say that the Serial Rapist was right when he claimed that God wanted him to rape those women. I question this, because I believe that his belief was out of whack because it contradicted the laws as set out prior to his lifetime. Since God doesn't change, the laws He set in place don't change, and thus Rape is still forbidden, and the Lord will not demand that we commit rape...

The near miss was because I stated that it was okay to assume that the Loch Ness monster didn't exist, but was okay to believe that God does exist. I believe that my answer to question 1 where I said that He does exist may have prevented that from being a third hit.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Survived unscathed. My lack of belief is quite consistant :)

Not that much of the rest of my personal philosophy is - run that through a test like this and I'd be a corpse.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I bit one bullet.

My problem was with evolution vs. religion. I said it was foolish to believe in something without certain proof (in this case gods) yet I am prepared to accept evoloution as fact without certain proof.

My personal argument was that there is proof of evoloution working throughout time, things HAVE evolved and will continue to do so. There is no certain proof because we can't go back in time to watch this stuff happen, rather we have to make recordings now and wait a million years to prove it. So far there has been no damning evidence that evoloution is not real. Religion however can only ever be proven should the god appear in some divine manifestation and claim his existance. Yet there have been no 'small' appearances by gods yet there have been 'small' proofs of evoloution.

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ouch! I took two direct hits and bit one bullet. This test sure does make you think!

@Arabwel: Thanks for pointing it out to us!

Hit number one: The contradiction is that on the first ocassion (Loch Ness monster) you agreed that the absence of evidence or argument is enough to rationally justify belief in the non-existence of the Loch Ness monster, but on this occasion (God), you do not.

Hit number two: Earlier you said that it is not justifiable to base one's beliefs about the external world on a firm, inner conviction, paying no regard to the external evidence, or lack of it, for the truth or falsity of this conviction, but now you say it's justifiable to believe in God on just these grounds. That's a flagrant contradiction!

Oops ...

Bullet bitten: You've just bitten a bullet! In saying that God has the freedom and power to do that which is logically impossible (like creating square circles), you are saying that any discussion of God and ultimate reality cannot be constrained by basic principles of rationality. This would seem to make rational discourse about God impossible. If rational discourse about God is impossible, there is nothing rational we can say about God and nothing rational we can say to support our belief or disbelief in God. To reject rational constraints on religious discourse in this fashion requires accepting that religious convictions, including your religious convictions, are beyond any debate or rational discussion. This is to bite a bullet.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    We've done it on SP before. ;) Those bullets and contradictions are more often presumed than not and it's too simplified. Otherwise, a nice test. ;)

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i got hit once but i disagree with why

i said that it was justifiable to believe with strong internal conviction that there is a god but then i said that it was foolish to believe in god without evidence they said thats a contradiction, i dont believe it is, even something which is justifiable can be foolish- i can justify throwing myself off a cliff, its still foolish.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got two direct hit and bit two bullets. I dont really agree with the hits as they in my opinon can be argued in a logical way and to me not inconsistencies in my views.

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Abomination, Shoshino, and anyone else who disagrees with their results:
    Read the FAQ. There are explanations in there. There are even some listed exceptions based on certain logic.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... No direct hits for me either. It seems like the more you answer false, the less likely you are to get hit. If you don't hold any firm convictions about the existence of god, then you can gladly answer false in regard to any of god's powers, which really cuts down on the chance of causing a contradiction. Out of all the questions, I think only about 3 or 4 of my answers were true.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I bit one bullet and took one direct hit. Supposedly I'm inconsistent for believing that evidence is required when dealing with the external world, but not when dealing with God - but isn't that what faith is all I about? I call :bs: on that one.

Also, I completely disagree with their comparison of the Loch Ness Monster and atheism. When there's no evidence in either direction, staking any position is a matter of faith. ;)

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I find I must disagree with their logic on a few points. First off, they presume that something is either the only reasonable conclusion or that it is not reasonable, or maybe its a problem with a poor definition of faith. This I hit with the Loch-Ness vs Atheist bit. I said it was reasonable to believe that the Loch-Ness didn't exist, and I said that Atheists believe so on faith. The consistency here is that the lack of belief in the Loch-Ness Monster is still faith, it may be rational faith, but it is still faith. It stops being faith when it stops being belief. If you KNOW one way or the other, then it isn't faith.

The next point is the 'Bite the Bullet' one, where I say God can make the illogical work. Their presumption is that it would still be illogical, and thus we could not understand how it would work. Mine is that God could make what we now see as illogical, logical and reasonable, thus it is valid to argue the existance of God in whatever framework He has set up for us to do so in.

Total: 1 hit, 1 bullet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.