1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bats! Bats! Bats!

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Last night I saw bats for the very first time here in Finland. I've seen bats only once before, in Sydney. Fruitbats.

I can still almost feel the pungent, sweet scent of the fruitbats urine hanging heavily in the air of autumn Sydney. There's nothing quite like it.

These finnish bats were a whole new and different experience altogether. As fruitbats glide through the air of the night, flopping their wings lazily under the streetlights in the city I had never experienced before and seen only glimpses of on the silverscreen of the cinema; as the whole experience of being there, all jetlagged and jittery felt dreamlike and alien as if warped into another dimension and not only into a different culture, the fruitbats were jut another thing to gawk at. Just another thing amidst the fall fashion of the Australian ladies, amidst the frigging cicadas chirping away in darkness, amidst the huge tree-spiders living in colonies built of webs that had the thickness and the strength of a good fishing line. Just another thing boggling my jet-lagged and wedding-dazed mind. But these finnish bats? A whole different breed. Small. First I thought they were swallows. They had almost the same velocity, but their flight patterns were unlike anything I'd ever seen. Perhaps some bird that flies in the nighttime? No. Bats. Fast. Something I'd never experienced before in my life. Little flying beasts that feed on insects. Bats.

I watched them in awe. They were beautiful and the experience overwhelming. And when I finally went inside and to sleep I almost thought I heard their screeching and clicking, through the window of my bedroom, small noises, sudden and violent whispers of their hunting in the far reaches of my hearing under the humming of my blood. It must have been my imagination though. Usually you don't hear the bats hunting, but you might see them, like I did, speeding silouettes against the still blue of the night sky of the northern summer.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Are bats that uncommon in Finland? They're cute little things though, guess I wouldn't consider it awe inspiring, just beautiful. Used to see them a LOT in the areas I've lived in. Same as foxes, badgers, rabbits and deer though.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Maybe they're a little less common around these latitudes because of the short summer and the long winter. A little less insect around to feed upon.

For some reason I've just never seen them around. Hence the awe. They've been around, especially where I used to spend my summers as a kid, but I've just never seen them. Until now. Yes, beautiful.

There's a lot of wild things I've never laid my eyes upon. Never seen a badger in the wild or at all. Never seen a fox as I recall, but once a suicidal deer tried to run to get hit by the car I was travelling in. As it saw us coming by the road, it speeded up, made haste to be right on the spot so we could crash it if we'd not slow down. We did and the deer ran across the road right before the hood of the car.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Bats are great. Only seen one once in my area, and it's a shame. Went out to see friends in the country, and when we left we saw a half-dozen of them, flapping round and being generally awesome.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.