1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bashing Atheists?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jun 29, 2005.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    And you know he was speaking truth how?

I mean, if he had been trying to lead people astray, that'd be a nice way to cover himself...

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By jove, I think he's got it....

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Gnarff,

I've long since given up trying to refute things that you say point by point. We have come to the conclusion that we will never be completely in agreement due to an unbridgable chasm in our sets of beliefs. I however have one thing that I keep going back to, and I can't seem to come to any rational explanation of this: The Bible is somewhere on the order of 2000 years old. There were issues today that could not even be comprehended back then. Why then, are you so sure that the scriptures contain the answer to every one of today's questions when they are largely not addressed in the text?

Yes, you have Prophets, but it is the scriptures that you base all of your answers upon. Furthermore, we have already seen that the scriptures, and by extension the Bible itself is an imperfect document. There are many things that are outlawed in the Bible that are not outlawed in any country, and there are things that are allowed in the Bible that are illegal in virtually every country on the planet. Some of the difference regard moral issues (and I will admit that there is some sense in that), but others don't seem to have any rational basis at all. For example, one of the commandments is do not commit adultery (specifically "do not covet thy neighbor's wife"). While I agree that's probably a good idea, it's AFAIK not actually illegal, at least not in North America or Europe. We're also not supposed to covet the property of other people. While it is law that you cannot actually take something that isn't yours, we don't punish people merely for coveting what isn't theirs. To go to the other end of the spectrum, the Bible says slavery is OK, but I don't see slavery being actively practiced in 1st world societies either.

So, given the imperfections, and the fact that the world is a very different place now than it was 2000 years ago, how can you be so sure that everything the Bible says is correct (even given that we see there are definitely instances where it isn't correct) and how can you be so sure that it can give direction and answer questions that it was never designed to answer?

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Again, it comes down to faith. If you have no faith in these men, and their integrity, then you're obviously not going to believe what they say. If non-believers have nothing better to do than put us down for our faith, then they must really suck and beg to be bashed.

Well, if it's a theory that contradicts or otherwise doesn't fit with the taught gospel, then be careful with it. That's why I have accepted that Darwin had observed something, but disagree with his conclusions. Homosexuality and other sexual sins are explicitly covered. The General principles can and do still provide a guideline for the modern challenges.

Again, Trust in God, and reason your way through, and you'll have your answers. God is perfect, those that sought to translate the Bible without divine Guidance are not.

The Law of Moses was very explicit, often to the point of excess. When Christ came, he restated the laws, and made them clearer. Further, morality has come under scrutiny, and has not been upheld, so some of the commandments have been lost.

First, Covetous and adultery are two differing commandments. Covetous cannot be proven, therefore cannot be prosecuted. Adultery is an example of moral decay, where it is now tolerated legally. These do not change the fact that they are immoral. Slavery was the cultural norm in the time of the old testament (only leaving the law books in the western world in 1865), so the Law of Moses, Jesus Christ, and the Apostle Paul addressed it. The Law of Moses put rules in place regulating it, Christ and Paul spoke of conduct of the master toward the servant.

Again, it's faith. Faith in God, the eternal Father, and the one who's will we ought to be doing. Given that Prophets have again been called, the Bible has been corrected, the testimony of Nephites restored. It comes down to faith. If you don't believe in God, or that He has sent prophets, then you won't accept this either...

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gnarff - they're not putting down your faith, they're just exposing circular logic. It's fine to believe that the leader of your church is a prophet and speaks for god, but you cannot expect someone who does not believe that to be at all convinced by a statement that equates to: the leader of the church is right because, if he weren't, god would remove him.

That statement is wholly unnecessary to people who share your faith -- after all, he couldn't be the leader of the church without god's blessing and approval -- and wholly meaningless to those who don't share your faith.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: Good one. :rolleyes: Yet, it's okay for you to show us the error of our ways....

I found this quote:

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?

Friedrich Nietzche

[ August 03, 2005, 16:33: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    So how do you know the other sections of the Bible will not change as well? Given that the Bible has been corrected means that - by definition - it is imperfect. So why can faith be stated as the answer for this dilemna when people who had faith in prior versions were wrong?

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Aldeth, it's all because all you upstarts refuse to speak Hebrew. ;)

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

or Aramaic.

10. Gnarfflinger

It's the best I can do when asked to prove the unprovable.

Actually, Man screws up enough on his own, and often refuses to admit (or fails to see) where they've screwed up...

Because the process is completed. The process was completed during the ministry of Joseph Smith I believe. God has spoken, and shouldn't need to correct himself.

Rally and Hacken: I have enough trouble with English, and have forgotten too much french. Nobody is there to teach me Hebrew and Aramaic...

11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Both atheists and believers are bashed equally by the other party. The reason is that we all need to confront what we disagree with, and the stronger we disagree with something, the stronger we'll confront that something.

When discussing matters of belief it is impossible to reach an understanding on any side, because the matter is highly subjective and personal. No-one can satisfactorily prove the existance of a god or gods, and no-one can satisfactorily prove the non-existance of the same god or gods. Expressing your opinions about the matter is one thing. Preaching in favour of one way or the other is pointless, as there are no solid arguments on either side, and people end up repeating themselves, or resorting to personal aggravation.

Have you ever read the Buddhist parable of the Blind Men and the Elephant?

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    *frustration steadily growing*

OK, let me rephrase the question. Prior to Joseph Smith's revelation, wasn't it assumed that the Bible WAS correct? No one thought it needed to be fixed prior to the revelation, just as everyone now assumes it doesn't need to be fixed (unless there is another revelation). Of course no one assumes it's incorrect and leaves it uncorrected. So what I'm saying is how do we know some other Prophet won't have another revelation some day and change other parts of the Bible - I don't know - perhaps there will be parts that weren't corrected by Smith.

13. Gnarfflinger

I have heard stories of how various re-translations of the bible were tailored to please the one commissioning the translation. Since this translation was commissioned by God, Himself, we can assume these now are his words as he has given them to ancient prophets.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whoa, wait, I don't get this:

If when God speaks He shouldn't need to correct Himself, then why did He need Joseph Smith to correct the writings of the ancient prophets? Is this because of the necessary translation or something?

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I don't think I've ever read a more arrogant statement in my life.

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ha, that solves the problem. I always wondered why god didn't bother to have the bible written in a language everyone can read and understand by default, without having to bother with foreign languages and letters. The Babylon incident wouldn't have been a reasonable obstacle to that. But no, he sent the babel fish, a.k.a. holy spirit, to some chosen one in the shape of a parrot on his shoulder. That's good. Now we only have to discern who has the correct parrot under the thousands who claim to have the correct parrot. That's a huge step forward!

17. Gnarfflinger

Because people sought to correct Him, and they were wrong, He had to set the record straight.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hm. But if it was just to set the record straight, wouldn't Joseph Smith have said everything in the original was right and all the revisions since were wrong? As I understand it from this thread, he came up with his own revisions. So again, if God doesn't need correcting why did Joseph Smith need to have his own revisions?

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think what Gnarfflinger is saying is this:

We do not have the original version. What we have are translations. As people made translations errors crept in or were intentionally made.

Therefore, God chose Joseph Smith to correct these errors.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    OK, but that's what I asked, so I would have expected a "yes" to my question then instead of what I got... :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.