1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Paid DLC Planned

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Jul 1, 2012.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]In a series of tweets yesterday, Trent Oster revealed plans for DLC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Trent promises the full Baldur's Gate experience will be included with the initial release but they have more content - including paid DLC - planned:

We plan to support the game after release with DLC.​
    We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.​
    We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.​
    DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.​
    Prior, Trent also said they were in a "holding pattern" for approval to release more news and that cloud saves were planned.

News-wise, we're in a holding pattern on approvals and getting new content submitted into the approvals pipeline.​
    We've got cloud saves in our plans. Those plans have yet to be realized. I'm hopeful, but it could be pushed post-ship.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Hmmm wonder if they are going to release fan made content as DLC. That would be wrong of them but if they produce to much in house to work into the game before release that's a different beast all together. Hope they don't have content locked on release and hope they don't put a starting point to a DLC that's in your face Ala Dragon Age 1.

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    meh :(.

That breaks my enthusiasm of the EE by a big margin.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ In the interview they clearly state, that they don't want to treat DLC'S like the 'big' ones.
    As in big companies aka Bioware and Co!

No fluffy pink slippers +2, or a Color DLC aka Fable 3, so you can have more color tints!

I wouldn't mind some quality addon's to expand my D&D game. But it has to be something proper with a sensible price/content ratio.

5. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    But that's exactly what the 'big' companies promise as well!

In the end all that DLC does is, it widens the cash income, and from a business point of view that is totally understandable.
    But me as a consumer simply refuses to play along.

It is a bit like something I observe from time to time in the stores:
    Why sell a 500 ml drink for 1 buck if you can sell one in a more sexy packaging at 350 ml for the same price? Maybe that analogy is a bit far fetched, but that is how it looks to me.

Moreover I simply hate to be feeded small chunks of meal over time. Maybe it's only a personal thing concerning me, but I outright hated the feeding of DLC in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1-2 (especially 2), that I
    simply didn't buy any future Bioware games anymore (there are other reasons, too). And I doubt it will change.
    Give me one nice package in the beginning and maybe 1 - 2 big chunks as addon and I'm happy :).

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think they can release fan made content except with the consent of the fans in question. A mod is the intellectual property of the modder, not of the creators of the original program. So if they want to release DLC, it will have to be either original content, or content released under an agreement with the creators of the content.

Me too. :bad:

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'd have no interest in DLC. It can take a few dozen hours to play through BG anyway. I'm not going to do it all over again just because there's been an extra hour or two added.

8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Exactly.
    Even in shorter games like ME2 , small chunks of DLC wasn't appeal enough to restart all over. One new mission + one new NPC (that would be the bigger end of DLC): so what?
    Give me a whole new story (like the oldschoold addons of IWD or BG2), then the appeal of restarting or proceeding is indeed there, but this kind of modern DLC stuff just sucks.

9. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ My sentiments exactly!
    Make DLC's that are like old-school Add-ons.

10. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Providing a reasonable amount of content would ruin their profit margin, dead are the days of expansion packs :( (or fantastic add-ons like TotL). Either charge more and put the content in there to begin with or, make an expansion pack >:|.

Montresor likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.