1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Turandil, Oct 21, 2002.

1. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yet again I would point to the fact that NWN wasn't meant for Singleplayer. It was multiplayer all along. So start trying that instead of yelling how bad it was in the main module.

As for the BG3 thing, all I've heard is that IWD2 was the last IE game and that I wouldn't continue the Child of Bhaal.

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I dont actually think that the singleplayer plot was that bad. It´s how it works. No companion control, the wicked bad camera works and so on. Nothing apealing at all in that game to me.

Although, even if there will never be another BG game, I hope that they will make more games using this engine. Why stop with a winning project?

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If they do make BG3, I doubt they would resurrect the Infinity engine, and I hope they don't. It's creeking with age, and something new needs to be innovated. Maybe something like the Warcraft 3 engine would be nice. As great as the infinity engine was, it has a lot of flaws and limitations. Considering all that's been developed in gaming technology since BG2 came out a few years ago, it'd be silly to keep making games with Infinity. They've made too many as it is. Story aside, BG1 & 2 and IWD 1 & 2 are more or less the same game. Having the Infinity engine work "well enough" is just an excuse to keep from coming up with something better. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier, from a development standpoint, to put a new paint job on an old car, so to speak. The new car will still perform better.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Coming up with something better? Like the Aurora engine? Which totally sucks ass, the Infinity engine is wonderful so perhaps upgrading it slightly or doing something with it would be great but new engine ? No thx

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't say the Aurora engine was better. Look at ToEE. That should serve as an example of what's possible in a modern RPG. The graphics are absolutely stunning, even if the game lacks a bit and the bugs are enough to drive you nuts. But the Infinity engine is old and outdated, period. That doesn't mean I think the GAMES that use them are past their prime. BG2 is timeless - I'll be playing it for years. But don't let nostalgia get in the way of progress and innovation.

Just try to imagine what games will look like 5 years from now. I can't wait. The Infinity engine will look like Pong compared.

6. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] @ Chris William's

You know if people are making mod's the size of Dragonlance using the infinity engine, then why not something based on the BG saga?

It doesent necessarily have to be set after ToB or on the original PC I'm sure that if we all think about it there could be dozens of different possibiliity's for a sequel.

There's lots of fan fiction stories on this site, www.fanfiction.net and www.gamejag.com which have interesting possibility for an "after ToB" game. if it's set in the future it obviously has to be assuming it is based on if you decided to stay mortal, on another character or otherwise not a god because as someone else said there would be no challange in been a god.

failing that other things could be possible such as:

-setting it before the bg series as someone who fight's alongside gorien and co. where it end's up finishing in Candle keep after rescuing the main character for the proper storyline.

-or maybe a "what happen's in the time between killing Irenicus and saving the world from the five?"

-any other hole's in the series that Interplay diden't cover

Here's some good after ToB stories I know of which has other idea's

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=965875
    http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=858410
    http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=890283
    http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=953663

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

If you really wanted to come up with a sequel for ToB it would not be “that” hard at all there is a million and one ways around it if you really think about it. I mean do you really think a new story of some sort would beat the bhaalspawn saga ? I really don't think so

8. casey Gems: 15/31

are you refering to a continuation of the saga or an entirely new plot Sarevok?

If you are refering to the former well I'm pretty sure that there are people reading this who would have a good enough imagination to at least come up with something half as good as the whole Bhaalspawn plot, which would be saying alot ;)

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

An entirely new plot I think would not be necessary, the continuation of the saga yes that would be more like it, and more often then not people say that continuing it wouldn't work but I really don't see why not :)

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Any BG3 game will not be a continuation of the story. What would be the point? If such a thing should ever see the light of day, it will be something like IWD2 compared to IWD, i.e. some overlap of setting and events but fundamentally different campaigns.

11. casey Gems: 15/31

What happened in iwd1 and 2?
    I've never played it could someone give a ballpark explanation please?

12. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't think another expansion to the original saga would work, at least not very well. It would be too hard to continue the story with any kind of depth, and the levels would just be crazy. The only thing I could foresee with that would be something like an RTS, where you are a god, looking down over your followers, making them stronger, choosing some to load some of your powers to so they could do glorious feats in your name, or some such. Or possibly your kid with whoever you romanced, and they have to avenge your death because of some powerful followers of an opposing god killed charname? That's about all that I can think of with a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga.

You could have something similar though, with another god/godess, and be in a different place in the realms, and you travel to Baldur's Gate so you could at least give the title credibility. Overlappage sounds decent as well, though the final battle between the two for the god-power might be difficult, if that road was chosen for the ending.

13. casey Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Did anyone check the link's I posted?

by the end of ToB a full party could probably be powerful enough to kill some god's even as mortals anyway :)

I think It could still be challanging with some good enemy AI scripting. Maybe put in a few horde's of high level parties like level 25-30. I know from hearing about other people's expiriences that there are some incredibly hard ToB challenges in the Sola mod, most of them say that it's actually easy after a few tries.

honestly though what fight's wouldent become easy after the first dozen times beating it. :rolleyes:

Edit: I just had a thought for how to make a Bg 3 more challanging.
    give the enemy's superior Item's and spells that only they can use.
    It would turn it into better items, and spell's against intelligence.

[ November 16, 2003, 07:58: Message edited by: casey ]

14. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This isn't perhaps the forum, but basically, Icewind Dale 2 is set in the same area as Icewind Dale, but around fifty years later. You visit some of the same places and many events in the first game have ramifications in the second, but they are nevertheless quite different games. So you can see how a game set in the Sword Coast or Amn fifty years after the ascension of the Bhaal Child would work in a way that a game set immediately after the Throne Of Bhaal wouldn't.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

umm just because we havent heard anything about it doesnt mean that they arent making a bg3. Half-life 2 has been in the making for 3 years yet we just heard about it this year. yes we knew they would probably make one, but no-one was sure with them popping out expansions to it left and right. maybe bioware and black isle are taking the same approach... with just one expansion and more games.

16. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

The difference between BG and HL is that Sierra never said "There will never ba a HL2". I dont know which company said it, but one of them said "ToB is the last thing we´ll make in the BG saga".

But keep your faith brethren :)

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I do hope so but you see i don't think they can because of that legal crap with Interplay so i think that even if they wanted to, they couldn't or perhaps im wrong and i might be i have not a clue :)

18. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Here
    I think that will clear everything.

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yep, that pretty much says it all for the time being. 'Tis a shame when something like that happens.

Yet again the bloated egos at Atari come up with something so amazingly idiotic. I wish Interplay all the luck in getting the rights back.

20. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Yeah, you're right Beren, that's a real scandal. If things go bad, there won't be a D&D game for a long time :( .
    *sigh* It really seems like I should buy TOEE , course it could be my last D&D game for a really long time :'( .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.