1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bad things America has given the world

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Vermillion, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] OK, here is the promised flip side of the coin for comparison purposes. I noticed that a lot of Americans added to the good things post, so I am wondering how many will post here. Remember not stupidities and in a few days I'll make the lists and post them for comparison.

*A lot pollution
    *American attitudes
    *Too many thick people with their finger on the button
    *Talk shows that are only good to watch when you're depressed so you can see that at least you're not as stupid as those people.
    *An arms race

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Vermillion, can you define an "American attitude"? I think insensitivity, selfishness and arrogance are universal human failings, not nation-specific.

Anyway, to answer your question:
    * Tobacco
    * Political Action Committees
    * Enron, WorldCom, Global Crossing, Arthur Andersen, et al...
    * Martha Stewart
    * Barney

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

* too much pollution.
    * too many fat people.

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

rallymama, I'm sure that Vermillion has his own ideas as to how to answer your question, but I would say that historically, the citizens of the most powerful country in the world have tended to believe, and act as if, their country's military and economic power conferred superiority on them as individuals. France hasn't been the most powerful country in the world for centuries and the French still act that way toward foreigners- which explains part of the animosity most Americans seem to feel for the French. So I would say, while arrogance and insensitivity are indeed universal human failings, tying those characteristics to one's national flag and calling them "pride" or "patriotism" instead of recognising them as character flaws are what many people seem to mean when they refer to the "American attitude". Although it goes nearly as much for the French attitude, and it certainly applied to the British during their colonial heydey too.

Edit: PS: I love Martha Stewart! Guess I'm not your cross-border twin after all. :(

[ December 10, 2002, 16:25: Message edited by: Sprite ]

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Vermillion - I thought this was supposed to be BAD things. The things on your list all look like good things to me ;)

[ December 10, 2002, 16:48: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I think see what you mean, Sprite. So what we call "American attitude" today might have been known in the past as Roman, or Crusader, or British Empire, or Nazi. It feels to me like we're coming at the same point from two different sides. :) And as you say, this could be completely different from what Vermillion has in mind.

Anyway, Martha has great ideas, but her presentation turns me off. Did you see the political cartoons of her in jail?! What a scream! Oh well, innocent until proven guilty, and all that rot...

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

-Too many seriously over-weight people.
    -They've turned a complete idiot into the most powerful man in the world.
    -They're the most pollutant and energy inefficient nation in the whole world.
    -Too many Americans ignore the rest of the world.
    -They ruined the English language (I mean MOM! IT's MUM! ;) ).
    -Far too patriotic for their own good.
    -Refuse to sign any agreement to reduce pollution.
    -Want war at any cost.

But i'll stand by my desision, the good points far outway the bad.

[ December 10, 2002, 17:19: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

-existance
    -imperalism(ok it existed before but they have made it huge)
    -armed kids

i have more but i am pretty tired...

9. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] a suing culture, whereby people are quick to pursue others' mistakes for financial gain rather than request an apology.

(this is something that particularly vexes me because it has filtered over to the UK in the last couple of years. some britons are hypocrites who are happy to tutt-tutt the american word 'sue' but are fine with watching numerous tv adverts offering re-branded 'compensation claims'.)

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm not sure, but i think the only thing this thread leads to, is flaming.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Yes, the US mindset of litigation as an exemption from personal responsibility does pretty well... stink out loud, doesn't it? Then again, that whole lack of personal responsibility thread ties nicely into another hot topic on the board...

While I'll try not to flame, I have to take exception to America as being the source of armed children. The cases of weapons in schools is a minute fraction of overall school attendance; unfortunately, these cases get all the press when something (either the student or the school/parents/teachers...) gets out of hand. No, I think the problem of children carrying weapons is far more insidious in Africa and the Middle East and maybe Central America where basic training for the army begins at age 5!

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

[​IMG] Someone might say that everything in America is big, and another would add: "including stupidity."

- Bushes.
    - Loads of meat named "Spam."
    - Cigarettes...
    - ...and the wrong way to use them.

[ December 10, 2002, 20:00: Message edited by: Virne ]

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Britney Spears
    The Backstreet Boys
    N'SYNC
    Jerry Springer
    Moby Dick

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

A pompous attitude towards the world, which will inevitably result in a bunch of people bashing America in this thread.

Not to mention Enron.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nuclear Weapons
    Extreme kapitalisation of *everything*
    Microsoft
    Reintroduction of fundamental religous doctrine in a democratic society.

But as the most powerful and most influential country on earth almost all things come from the US, be it good or bad.

16. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    - Full freedom of speech
    - Pledge of Allegiance (no, not the concert, the brainwash tactic)
    - Pure capitalism
    - Reintroduction of Fundamentalism, yeah the muslim fundamentalism is a threath to worldpeace yetta, yetta, blahblah, but everything the bible says is true :rolleyes:
    - legal corruption (lobbying)
    - weapons, weapons, weapons, any less restrictions and Americans can shoot homeless people for staring at their house, and own nukes in case of burglars
    D "Whatareyodoinginmyhouse???"
    S "errrr, dad? I live here!"
    D *pushes red button

[ December 10, 2002, 23:26: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

18. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Squirty Cheese
    Shralp
    Bad Sitcoms
    Coffee Culture
    Sue-your-ass Attitudes
    McDonald's
    Dr Kavorkian
    The corruption of the word "ass"

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Why does everyone keep mentioning nucleair weapons as an American invention ? Hasn't anybody ever heard of Werner Von Braun ? Or Albert Einstein ? As far as i can remember they were NOT from the US.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Pac Man: Because people are stupid, and need someone to blame.

My thoughts: If you don't like the place that you're living in, then move and never speak of it again. If you don't like a place you don't live in, then SHUT THE HELL UP!!! Don't rag on a place you don't live. I know Los Angles has a lot of polution, but I'd like to see what England looks like when there isn't a breeze to blow it all away. If you don't like my country, then why don't you try and do something about it instead of just complaining. Basicly, what I'm trying to say is: I'd like to see you do better. :rolling:

[EDIT] I also find it funny that there aren't any "Bad Things That England Has Given The World" threads.

[ December 11, 2002, 00:52: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.