1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Awesome game!

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by olimikrig, Jul 8, 2009.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, just "finished" my first run through Oblivion, and I was pretty surprised at how good it was (mainly because I did not like Morrowind)!

The voice acting was not top-notch, and I experienced a few bugs (but that is to be expected with a game of this magnitude), but overal I really enjoyed the experience.

Now I'm going to start a new game from scratch. I know I haven't done a fraction of the quests the game has to offer, but I've made some pretty bad choices while levelling (which I guess is natural since I did not understand the system at all to begin with), and because I hardly used magic at all (I was a sneaky character. I just backstabbed and then hacked away :p) I want to give a more magic orientated character a go.

Now I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about this. Been considering a combo of Breton with the Atronach birth sign. It really seems interesting, but I think I might struggle at the lower levels, especially because I'm notching the difficulty up (the game is too easy at difficulty 0).

Also I'm looking into mods; and damn, there's a lot, and a lot of them require that you have another mod before it will run (:rolleyes:).
    Any recommendations are more than welcome. I'm particularly looking for interesting companion and quest mods. I've already gotten Karla and Feria (couldn't resist after having taken a look at chandos TES album :p).

So basically, I'm looking for recommendations on some nice and well-balanced mods, and suggestions for a melee-mage sort of build.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you're looking for a mage build, I'd go for Breton + The Mage birthsign. Atronarch was great in Morrowind, but in Oblivion you really cripple your build because magicka regenerates over time in Oblivion, while it didn't in Morrowind. You'd have to absorb spells every other spell if you try to cast the higher level magic spells with the Atronarch birthsign, and that could get to be annoying after a while.

As for mods, can't say I've any experience with companion or quest mods, but I definitely recommend you get the Unofficial Oblivion Patches. I also like Francesco's leveled items/creatures mod, which gets rid of the creatures leveling up with you all the time. And the BT UI mod modifies the UI so that you're not looking at those horribly large icons in the inventory all the time.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Olimikrig - Glenvar Castle is a very good mod. It's way better than Battlehorn, the offical castle plug-in. Also, you might try Ancient Towers.

The Mage is probably the best for magic. But I sometimes use the Lady for the extra willpower and endurance. A Breton is a good class for magic and can still be a pretty fair tank.

Also, don't forget Ren's beauty pack, natural faces for mystic elves, and Xenem's eye candy for female bodies (if you havn't already loaded these). They make a nice difference in your companions. ;)

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, I've already gotten those chandos ;) (some of the features are a tad over the top though).

Glenvar Castle seems interesting. Is the voice acting any good?

I went ahead and made a Breton with the lady sign in the end. I want to be a more spellsword kind of character that also gets up close, so I figured I was going to need the extra starting end.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The voice acting is OK. The castle is huge, and an awesome place to hang out once its yours.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Glenvar Castle is great but not for those who want their hand held and everything pointed out to them. It is for thinkers not bashers. Sure there is bashing but the main thing is figuring out a huge puzzle.

I also recommend AfK-Weye found on TESnexus. There is bashing but again it is a thinker's mod. It looks simple but has quite a few quests.

Try Kvatch Rebuilt.

Install the latest version of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch found on TESnexus. It is very good. I don't usually recommend Unofficial patches but the newest version 3 something is good.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  7. olimikrig

Media:
    Thanks for the recommendations! Giving Castle Glenvar and Afk_Weye a go :).

Got a weird bug. Somehow my Illusion skill go increased to 155....

Woops, embarrassing, I had totally forgotten that I had Idle Training installed :p.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.