1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Australia Trip

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by War Nerve, May 10, 2005.

1. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I'll be venturing to Australia in 6 days for a 3 week vacation, mainly involving scuba diving and travelling. I understand that I'll be "representing" America, so to speak, which is why of course I'll be as courteous as humanly possible. Because I'm a novice when it comes to international travel (I've never been outside of North America), I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to give me some tips on, say, things to be wary of, etiquette, expectations, etc.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Etiquette? In Australia?! Great joke, mate!

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just remember that people in other countries are human beings too. Since you're taking the time to visit another country take an interest in it. Talk to people. Try to go to places that visitors from the USA don't normally go to. Have fun. :cool:

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well I hope that I am not very rude in saying that North American and Australian cultures are not too different, so there are little fears of 'culture clashes', but if you were going somewhere more exotic, I would purchase some little handbooks on culture, laws etc and you cannot go wrong! For example its an insult in Turkey to show the soles of ones feet, but it is not in most 'Western' countries

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, seriously though, it is refreshing that you are interested in showing respect for the culture of the country you are visiting. That is all too rare in my experience.

In all seriousness, the best things you could do to endear yourself to the Australians, given that, as Cesard points out, your cultures aren't THAT different, would be to:
    1) Take an interest in learning about their sports (which ARE very different to the ones you'd be used to), especially cricket, Australian Rules Football, rugby union, and rugby league (depending on which city you happen to be in
    2) Try their beers, and their other local food and drink brands - rather than drinking Budweiser and going to McDonalds.

Do that, and you'll be welcomed as an adopted Aussie, rather than looked at as a loudmouth ignoramus.

6. War Nerve

Interesting, thanks for the suggestions. Trying new things, like the beer and food you mentioned Harbourboy, is indeed something I'm looking forward to the most -- sticking to American products would surely hamper the experience.

7. Harbourboy

Also, like the USA, there are slightly different cultures and customs in different states. So where exactly are you going?

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Remember that Australia and New Zealand are two different countries. :whoa:

I have never been to either but have it on my wish list. I have been fortunate to travel some in Europe including France. Before I went I was told I would have problems because the French hated us but everything was fine. I got along great and had a ball.

9. War Nerve

We'll be starting out in Cairns for a week of diving, and afterwards heading Brisbane. Finally, we're going to end up in Sydney.

Edit - That's good to hear, Nakia. I've also heard rumors of negativity towards Americans in France, but the only person I've known who has actually been there said everything was just fine.

10. Harbourboy

Well, in Queensland, you won't see much Australian Rules Football and the Super 12 rugby union series will pretty much be over, but there are a couple of Queensland teams in the NRL rugby league competition (North Queensland Cowboys and Brisbane Broncos). If you can't get to a game, you should at least go and watch one in a bar with the locals. Rugby League is even more popular in Sydney, so you might a chance there as well.

Also, the New South Wales rugby union team (the Waratahs) are looking good to be in the final of the Super 12 competition around the time you're there so you might be able to watch that game with some local supporters as well. It's the first time they've made it this far so you should be able to find some keen fans.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You will always get one person that hates a tourist for some particular reason. The impresison I had of the US was they hated everyone but their own people, some people viewed me as 'that guy with a funny voice' but most people were very nice. But as I say, as long as you respect local cultures and traditions, there should be few problems.

12. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'd like to go to Australia, have a friend in Syndney (I think). She invited me and my g/f over, but we haven't had the money or time. Some other friends of mine went though (on a tour with their band, no less) and they loved the beer and the beaches. ;)

I think the negativity towards americans is a myth. People might disagree with politics and such, but I don't think most people have anything against Americans on a peronal level. Around here most are surprised that anyone would find their way here, and get bombarded with questions like "What made you want to come to Finland?", "Have you tried the sauna?" or "Why are you weraring a sweater? It's summer!".

13. Harbourboy

In some places, there is genuine negativity towards American tourists, but only those ones who are obnoxious and ignorant. When I was in Italy, I'm afraid the Americans in my tour group were highly embarrassing and had no respect for local customs and made no effort to learn any Italian words and got angry when the Italians didn't understand English. These bad eggs give everyone else a bad name.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Harbs.
    If you were gay and I were gay, I'd shag you.
    Cheers,
    Barmy.

15. War Nerve

Hahahah, now *that's* a compliment.

16. Harbourboy

Where did THAT come from? Whilst I'm flattered (and maybe a little curious) I'm afraid I have to turn down your kind offer.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You've got a broken hearted Barmy Army on your hands now.

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'll have to say that the few last lines by Barmy and Harbourboy on this topic really cracked me up. :shake:

Anyway have fun in Australia. Never been there but I'd love to visit the country some day.

19. Harbourboy

Nice time of the year to visit Australia, actually - as it's not too hot right now. I find Queensland to be unbearable in the summer.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, I went to Australia in June/July and I was quite happy with the temperatures between Sydney and Brisbane. I was going around comfortably wearing t-shirts. The locals thought I was nuts and quickly became convinced that Canada must be some kind of arctic wasteland with communites made up of igloos but that is beside the point. ;)

I have always found most Australians to be very friendly and welcoming people. I imagine that if an American were to start sprouting off about how great the U.S.A. is then this might annoy the average Aussie but if you are friendly and reasonably courteous then you should have no problems.

The one big difference in culture that I have found between Australia and elsewhere is in tipping. The Australians seem to find the concept of tipping to be somewhat bizarre. Only in Australia have I ever left a tip and had the waitress come running out of the restaurant to give me the money that she assumed I had accidently left behind. :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.