1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Wordplay, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Melbourne is a really relaxed city. I was working there for a couple of weeks last month and it seemed like nobody was stressed or in a hurry.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What are "drop-bears?" Bears that drop on you? If so, I would hardly call it a nuisance. Or do you mean something those animals "drop" during their needs? :hmm:

Strange that everyone here recommends only the biggest cities in the country. Ye are no country folk, no? :D

3. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Wirhe
    LOL at the 'drop-bears' thing! :lol: (btw I don't know what they are either! :hahaerr: ) I've been to Brisbane and the heat is unbearable! But then yesterday in Sydney it was pretty yuck weather too. Around 33 degrees celcius and extremely humid. The sun was high in the sky with no clouds in sight even up until 3pm. *shakes fist at the sun* Curse this weather!

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Sounds good. It's currently only -5´C around here, but after a few months it will be -15 and wind. All the while you relax in the sun and view all the gorgeous string-wearning babes in the beach. :sosad:

Oh, and apparently drop-bears are actually huge fruits that can actually drop on your head and burst, splattering your face with this whitey goo. So remember to keep your helmet on if you happen to be in Australia, Shadow Lurker. ;)

5. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Cool weather! :hahaerr: So does it snow?
    Err...*cough cough* I'm female... :p But I wouldn't be at the beach anyway unless there's a good enough reason to go. Too crowded.
    The drop bears sound gross. I don't think there are any over where I live though. :D

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well, I'd imagin if you were looking for a job relating to your MA cities would probably be the best place to go - atleast in New Zealand. Unless of course you were to get a job working for one of those big Dairy firms. Auckland or Wellington would be probably the only places that you could get a desent job, unless of course you work at a University somewhere.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Shure, buddy... Aren't we all?

Not all beaches are that crowded. You only need to find that empty one and relax there. Very simple.

Universities are probably my first stop there. I bet finnish language could, perhaps, earn me a position, since there aren't that many "introduction to finnish language" -courses in the world. Even here we had this chinese teacher who taught her language/culture and the sheer volume of willing participants would had been enough to fill an auditorium.

[ December 10, 2005, 00:10: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

8. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

I think I have yet to find an 'empty beach' :p :D Anyway, I don't like getting sunburnt. :( Especially with the hole in the ozone layer etc. :(

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

*continues to push New Zealand's case*

I'd recommend taking a look at the Massey Job vacincies - it's a very nice university with a beautiful looking campus and located just outside of Palmerston North (a small city of around 77,600 people). The weather isn't the best in the country there... but it's not too horrible. Atleast it doesn't rain as much as it does up in Auckland :p

If you'd prefer a city University, the only one I can recommend is Victoria University. It's got a good name for itself in New Zealand, and is located in the capital. And to make things even better, Rotku is attending it next year (what more of a motivation do you need ;) ).

You might also want to check out the other major Universities:

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

That 'Executive Administrator's position' in Massey University sounds nice, but then I have also THIS list to choose from. The good news is that Britain has whopping 46 vacancies to choose from and Ireland 28. Australia got just two and New Zealand nothing, but guess they just do not advertise them that much.

Less jobs than in your home-country, sure, but also the competition is noticeably less furious. Hopefully. :xx:

Noted. It's pretty close to Australia too and Wikipedia's article looks pretty interesting. If the immigration policies are looser than in your neighbour, NZ is a valid choise.

Ruler of the Known Universe and small me in the same campus? The only thing left is three wishes and a genie. :shake:

11. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

No! Come to Australia! :D It’s the “Lucky Country” ! A “Working Man’s Paradise”! (As long as Howard doesn’t get the go ahead for his new workplace reforms that is. -_-;; )
    Come, come! :D

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Trying to skip conscription are we, Wirhe?

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Perhaps, haven't decided yet, since I may still have some business in Finland. It's a choise between showing the finger to the typical patriot attitudes and convinience. Tought choise too, as I'm up to my neck full of that crap those nationalists try to force on me. Have nothing against military itself, mind; I simply resent being a military dog 24/7 for 180 days. Or a no-pay civil-servant 12/6, 365 days (=slave).

@ shadow lurker

It all depends which one has the best jobs. I noticed that many of those vacancies in the list were type "Au Pair, 4-9 €/hour" -jobs, but even then all the passport/license issues have been solved for me; it's just a matter of picking the country, moving in, and heading to the local employment office for the real jobs.

How high are the rates in NZ and AU by the way? In Finland, according of AKAVA, I should expect for a monthly salary of 2,500 - 3,000 €, so are the rates lower in those countries? I know that they might actually be HIGHER in Britain and Ireland, but of these two I'm not so sure. :hmm:

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, Wirhe, if you want to skip conscription, you'd better get a citizenship in another country, and get it damn FAST.

But I understand your not wanting to be a military dog... I am lucky enough to live in a country where enrolling is volontary... but if it was forced, I'd probably just do like you and get my ass out of that country. **** patriotism.

15. Rotku

Rates as in pay rates? New Zealand is generally lower than England, Australia (and Ireland?), but then out cost of living is also lower, so they balance up well, if you're planning on sticking in the country. What might cost $1 here may cost 3 times the amount over in UK, but what may earn you $1 here, may earn you 3 times the amount over there.

16. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

If Howard gets his workplace reforms, then Aust. pay rates will be going down to NZ rates. Other than that, it's pretty good (so I've heard). Plus we have unions to support workers so you can't be unfairly dismissed.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah, pay rates v cost of living in NZ and Australia are virtually identical. There are bigger differences between cities in those countries than between the countries themselves. But there are so many difference factors to consider, like what sort of work you do and what sort of lifestyle you lead.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Guess I need to find out about it myself. 5,000 €, Au Pair -contract, and I'm off. After a few years of work I will quite likely have the citizen-papers too. Easy as pie. :cool:

**EDIT**

After following one of those newspapers, the Age, it seems like australians are really scared of "terrorists" and still have issues with race. What's up with that: mobs and arrests with very loose reasons? In that sense, Australia doesn't seem to be that developed country after all... :hmm:

So, how warm it is in New Zealand around the year? Do the temperatures stay over 10+ all the time? :cool:

(Bump, someone.)

[ December 22, 2005, 18:15: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.