1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

attempting to win without magic

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by carpman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

2. carpman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I haven't had difficulty healing I find rest before and after travel gives you enough cure light wounds to bring you up. My one dillema now is whether to raise the ex points cap? I have reached totsc max 7/8 fighter thief and am in Durlags castle for the challenge. Before I go to the Gate i could maybe gain a level or two each.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think you should not raise xp cap if you want a challange. If I were you, I would not, however, I am a conservative as well, so I have double reason.

4. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You do not really loose the challenge.

I'm about to finish my first game with the XP cap removed and I am on werewolf island with only the end of chapter 7 to finish afterwards. No one is beyond levels other than what they can normally obtain. I was careful not to backtrack much so I only get XP once from clearing a map. I've cleared every map. However my cleric Branwen is close to the 225,000 needed to hit level 9. A Druid will hit level 11 at 200,000, Bards and thievies need 220,000 for level 11, but everyone else needs 250,000 or 300,000 to get another level. I doubt one extra level for a Cleric, Bard, or Thief will overwelm the game. My Dual Mage/Fighter was able to get to level 9 Mage after Dualing from a level 7 Fighter. Normaly I couldn't get past level 8 and have no access to 5th level spells. :( That's the main reason I removed the XP cap; for my Dual main characters. I wonder if 5th level Cleric spells are in the game... :hmm: I guess I'll find out soon. :D

[ December 26, 2003, 00:37: Message edited by: Aces ]

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Aces> If you go solo you loose the challenge. Say you have the cap enabled, 161K xp is max with TotSC installed if memory serves. And disable the cap you could get alteast 1 mil xp on one char since you can cap out a full party. That´s a lv 12 fighter instead of a lv 8 fighter. Makes a big difference if you ask me. One extra attack and 4 less Thac0. Not to mention the extra hitpoints. Plus I think you could get to level 13 if you wanted.

I wouldn´t install the cap. Because then some of the glory beating it will disappear. But you do what you want m8 :)

[ January 11, 2004, 10:48: Message edited by: Duke Eltan ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.