1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

attempting to win without magic

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by carpman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Carpman... what the hell does "even Mystra was man enough" mean!?! :D

I used Halberds on my solo fighter, so I had only +1 for at least half the game.

And I didn't use the God powers, only healing when I was in a tight spot - although the Draw Upon Holy Might was mighty tempting, for some reason I just never used it.

2. carpman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Easy Mystra what I meant was you where honest enough to admit to a littla magic. Solo as a fighter seems a good challenge with no magic. I mean -0ne-sword is ok I just get discouraged when the magic is not only in every slot on a character but half of ones backpack is filled as well! When we played AD&D on paper in the old days you would pray for just one sword shield ring etc before your hero died. I think I'll try a solo fighter next time Mystra what where your stats when you started?

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I don't remember my exact stats, but here's what I usually use for fighters...

STR 18/75 & up
    DEX 18 - used to be 14 see edit below.
    CON 16 - nice and balanced
    INT 12 - needs to be smart so he won't get killed
    WIS 14 - same as above
    CHA 11 - whatever

That's a total of 89.

I like roleplaying my characters, so that why I have relatively high INT and WIS stats. The DEX is low because the STR is high (it's uncharacteristic of someone to be very nimble AND strong). The CON is right where it should be... not too high, not too low. The CHA? I really don't care about that, I just don't want to be cheesy and give it a 3 so I can boost other stats.

I'd go GM is Large Swords, but since no magic I'd go with Blunt Weapons because Flails just look cool. That way you can use a shield to give you extra AC - you'll need it.

[EDIT: I forgot that I didn't use any magic items, so I must have had 18 DEX.]

[ November 28, 2003, 21:08: Message edited by: Mystra's Chosen ]

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I differ from Mystra when it comes down to stats. When I create fighters I never settle for anything that doesn´t have a 18/00 at the top. Also 18 in Dex and Con is a must for a fighter when made by me. And usually the other 3 ends up around 10. Anything more than that is nice, anything less is fine.

But as he said, twohanded weapons is not preferrable when soloing without magic. A shield is a "must". Although I always tend to use Long Swords, I must agree that Flails looks cooler :)
    And somehow I feel that blunt damage is better. But that just might be because I feel less enemies resist it in BG2. Haven´t really noticed any damage resistances in BG1. Does anyone know anything about this?

5. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I am with you Duke 18 str con dex for sure usually when I role up a newbie I take all 14 or better my best is 14 14 14 14 16 18 . But your 18\00 is very tough to come by but good for you to hang in there and a solo fighter needs all the help he can get I am finding out. Now Mystra you mention the gloves of brawling! So what's the deal with you and magic? First you admit to a sword which I think is cool and I think one magic item per character solo or not is proper not for me but I can see the balance in the d&d world, dragons,skeletons,golems and poor you with just a sword, not! But its a slippery slope once one starts with the magic therefore my original question still stands NO MAGIC?

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Why doesn't someone (not me because I havn't the time to play too many games at the moment) try playing a no-magic Wizard? ... Without cross classing?

Of course, I would suggest a pretty high charisma for this and to be i character, still have a decent intelligence score.

So what do you BG1 game breaker's say? ;)

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This shouldn't actually be too hard. A straight tank could make it easy, shove everthing on Str, Dex, and Con, and volia. Just rip your way through the game.

8. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] The character stats are vital I just roled a new high 14 14 14 14 17 18 arranged how you like this guy is 17 from a perfect 108! Duke how do you get the 18\00 for your guy??? I've roled hundreds and only saw this once but he also had a 5 and a 6 so no go!

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Hundreds of rolls totally or hundreds of times on each character?
    If you would count all my rolls totally on all the characters I´ve made you´d have to use atleast 5 numbers.
    There are 100 different numbers you can have after 18/ so logically you´d get it if you roll 100 times on a char.
    The thing is to just lower something and raise str, if you dont get /00 roll again, no matter what else you got.
    I dont know how you guys are, but when it comes to rolling, I dont tire fast :)
    I guess it´s in my blood, my bro rolled 1324 times on a char for ToEE. But that is alittle to much I think.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

@ Carpman...

Damn! I forgot about the no magic thing there with the Gaunts of Brawling. I must have had 18 DEX then, because there's no way I'd make it without the -4 AC.

11. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Wow Duke thats alot o rolling I guess I do tire easy my latest solo fighter had 14's all plus 17 plus18 when I went to the 18 for strength he came up 18/09 what a brutal let down but I couldn't let him go as you know the tomes will cure it, too bad there so close to the end! Yea Mystra lets talk no magic baby!

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

But a import into BG2 will let you continue your no-magic quest for a long time (I recommend Wizard Slayer, because he's got the same penalties you put down).

Good luck, LOL.

13. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Mysta! Please I love you like a brother but what is your no magic bent?

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So is no one going to try a No-magic using Magic user? (Wizard) then?

15. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Sniper, there is no chance you could complete BG1 with a wizard using no magic or magic items period. He wont get his AC below 0, his Thac0 will suck and his hitpoints isn´t even worth calling hitpoints. Say you manage to get to Sarevok by pure luck, which wouldn´t be enough though, how are you gonna kill him and his lackeys? You´ll be dead before you´ve even hit any of them one time, I promise you.

So it´s just a waste of time even trying.

16. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Heck, he'd never get an armor class better than 6! Besides, what's he goign to do as a mage who doesn't use magic? All you are is a wimp with one weapon, a few hit points, and pitiful THACO!

17. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Huh?
    I never knew if Con = 20 then you get regeneration! :confused:
    Only for a Dwarf?

18. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

As soon as your Con gets over 20 you´ll start regenerating. Faster the higher your Con is. And it is not only with dwarves, but since they are the only ones that can get 20 in Con without cheating... Although, you are a son of a god so one little con point here or there wont kill anyone. Well it will, but that´s not the point :)

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

If you have 20 CON, you can just rest and you'll be completely healed. It would come in pretty handy since with no magic that means no healing besides the wimpy Heal Minor spells you get as god powers.

20. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you have a higher Con, 21-25 does the regeneration occur faster?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.