1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ArtEChoke's Irate 'Cheese' list

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ArtEChoke, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Cheese? I love these cheese! :D

How do you guys come to know such tons of cheese??? :D

2. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

in any case, i think you can't help but be cheesy if you're playing the game 2nd (or more) time through since you know what to expect and when. You can't roleplay a character that divinely knows what's going to happen in the future. Special ability: immunity to ambush :)

hmm there's a cheesy tv show on fox about a guy who gets tomorrows newspaper everyday lol

3. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Hmm...Something just hit me that Bioware should set XP-cap at level 9 then there should be no more power skills / no more power spells / no more cheeses hence more challenges if you guys should like... ;) :D

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] BTA is the only one that understood my original post, naked fighters using their bare fists are the only acceptable method of play - with one exception:

Multiple attacks are cheese

So you have to only attack once in a round, keep an eye on that, its not acceptable to attack more than that.

I'm glad we all got together on this, it makes it so much easier now to post about strategies without getting judged. :)

Edit begins here:
    Okay, I apologize for the unabashed sarcasm in this and my original post, my only point to the whole topic was this:

If somebody posts a tactic that you don't like - instead of telling the poster, and the recipient, that the post was crap, post a better alternative if you're such the expert.

I'm just flat out tired of, "what? ain't choo tuff enuff ta kill Kangaxx wit a toofpick?" Its old and we all know that you're a hard-guy that we'd never want to mess with in a 'Baldur's Gate' kind of way.
    So post something constructive that helps rather than pick a fight with someone that was trying to help.

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited September 06, 2001).]

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Cheese ... yummy ... well, seriously:

-Bonus Merchants:
    I had played BG-2 the first few times until I heared rumors about the "bonus merchants", so I downloaded and installed them ... anyway, there are just a few items worth the money (yes, you have to *buy* them, my thiefs had tears in their eyes, but you *cannot* steal them :mad: ) and these are imho: sling of everard/ Kashiko's wakizashi (zero initiative, excellent for backstabbers)/ defender of easthaven (I always drop it for the flail of the ages)/ Robe of Vecna - iirc it equals a robe of the archmagi, except that it offers faster spellcasting, it isn't cheap and so I don't really consider it's use cheese ...

-steal & sell:
    Where would we come to when a thief would pay for items he needs ... ? <shakehead> I have Alora as my thief and she now has 140 basic in pickpocketing and using the gaunts of pickpocketing she doesn't even need more than one potion (as an insurance - me asks for what purpose other than improving *thieving* abilities these potions are in the game) to make a safe shoplift ... and btw - when your thief gets caught ... you do of course play on and do not reload the game, don't you (otherwise that would be major cheese ;) :rolleyes: ). And what is the problem with stealing and selling stuff one time? Don't forget that you are playing a thief - theft is their profession.

-Stealing rings, from gaxx and other wizards:
    I do not know how many of you have ever tried to steal the ring of gaxx ... it is *not* easy and on my first four ways through BG-2 my attempts always failed and since Kangaxx is a tough enemy I was soon too busy with staying alive to care of the second ring.
    The so-called charm trick with the mind control bracers both from planar prison and the illithids never worked for me and I had to find a solution of my own. I think I have earned my bug exploitation :D

btw - I never found a real use for a second ring of ram so I never picked it ;) You can also pick Lavok for another ring of wizardry ... cheasy, cheasy ...

-About setting traps:
    When using Yoshimo (so playing bounty hunters of human race it, at least, potentially cheesy) to set traps, there is a cheesy trick to recharge his load of traps: it is possible to click the <dualclass> button, enter the dc menue and escape it then, after that the traps will be there again. This is indeed *major cheese*.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited September 06, 2001).]

6. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Anybody who considers the bonus merchants as cheese are...well, I just don't get those people.

Quivering palm is only cheese if you walk up to Firkraag, try it, he saves vs. death, and then you reload the game and continue to do so until he fails his save. Otherwise, QP has less kill potential than the silver sword and just as much kill potential as any insta-death spell.

Traps are absolutely not cheese.

Cloudkill is only cheese if you fire it into a fog of war where you happen to know a non-hostile dragon is waiting to talk to you before attacking.

Monks' hands considered magical weapons is cheese?? So what does he do, sit out every battle after chapter 2?

ArtEchoke, LOL for the original post...

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, we haven't talked about resurrection and healing potions ...

:mad: <FLAME, FLAME, MEGAFLAME: CEEEEEEEEEEEESE !!!> :mad:

8. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My cheesy battle tactic is sending the character who is being attacked by a bad enemy running around the battlefield, so that the enemy pursues him while the rest of the team bang on him. If the AI was better it would never allow this to happen. I had to do this a lot with Wally early in the game, and it works especially well for a barbarian, who has innate extra speed.

The compensating factor is that it is boring as hell and takes a long time. (-:

I also did this with Cernd in the druid pit once in desperation. Faldorn had turned into a panther and was waling on him, and he summoned two bears and then fled with his tail between his legs all around the pit while the bears ate her up. I don't think he was holding his head up real high after that victory...

9. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] lol.. good tactics there. I'm partial to summoning creatures that can't be affected by normal weapons on creatures that only have normal weapons then wailing the cheese out of them. If i'm not mistaken, wasn't it art-e-choke that had a whole cheesy systematic method of mining an entire predetermined area with traps in lieu of the arrival of cowled wizards in order to defeat them, all in the name of saving 5000 measly gold pieces for a magic license? I didn't notice that on the list (although i did notice traps). I might be wrong here, so apologies if i have the wrong person. Nope, just checked. (see topic "not paying for magic license" posted: sep. 02 2001.) I suppose, in all fairness, having a cheese list doesn't preclude one's abiding by it point by point.

10. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Apparently irony doesn't transmit too well online, huh? (-:

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

[​IMG] tjekanefir, I am saddened to say that you are correct, by and large, the public has missed the point.

Oh well, at least I tried.

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Hey, chin up, Art, *I* thought it was funny. (-:

It's easy to miss sarcasm when there's no voice inflection to go by, and I've been impressed by the international nature of this board, so English isn't even everyone's native language. There are bound to be misunderstandings.

But in plain language: Artechoke was not complaining about the strategies in question; he was complaining about the 'cheese' label, and the idea that using a strategy, cunning, a character's special abilities, and so forth is somehow less manly than using a half-orc barbarian to bash everything in sight. (-:

For my part, I do find some 'strategies' to be more like cheating than clever playing. Like fake-talk and pickpocketing 80 rings of Gaxx, or whatever. That's really just exploiting loopholes that the programmers forgot to close up. And then other strategies, like my running-around-in-circles one, are really kind of lame.

But a lot of the things that draw scorn, like setting traps or using missile weapons or backstabbing--I mean, come on, "bounty hunter" is a really stupid kit, at least let the poor guy use his dang traps! (-:

13. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

Irony transmits online perfectly well, as does poorly written work being passed off as irony.

14. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Oooooh, sass from the li'l goblin...

ArtEchoke, Tjek, frankly I've found this to be the funniest thread since Wally. I nearly pissed myself laughing at the original post.

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It appears that now, because of the word "cheese" for everything ArtEChoke noticed has blinded us to the instances of genuine cheese such as close door (realistically trying that on an umberhulk would result in a lot of spliters), fake talk, abuse of save/reload to replay until everything's perfect and so forth, most of which I am guilty of from time to time. However the plus side is that Art gets to make fun of this abuse of the word cheese in his hilarious list.
    Incidentally - if you shouldn't get XP for killing a pit fiend, because you can do it any time, you shouldn't get XP for killing monsters because you can always rest in an area where monsters respawn.
    Oh, and I think you forgot
    Use of any healing
    resting (at all)

16. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

hm. Joke's on me... that *is* clever irony. And hey, it's gibberling to you, gonzago, got that?! :)

17. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] one of THE most besmirching things:
    shadowke- what? arrrrghhhhhhh! *gets beat to death by extremist*

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Actually mr. Grim, if you carefully read all threads that appeared last month in this forum - you'll find less occurences of that useless util than in any day of any month before.

My crusade is done. :-X use only people who can't accept it is dead for a long time.

RIP :-X
    and may the Satan be proud of your deeds!

19. Tiamat Gems: 17/31

I don't agree entirely about the ":-X util". I think that using it for avatar changing is pretty fun. Make that *used* it.... I haven't, since I recently installed ToB and it was bugged to hell (NONE of the text showed up). So I deleted :-X and reinstalled everything, and it worked. Conclusion? It may have been the EXP cap remover. Oh, yeah, add that to the Cheese list. It is cheese not to deny your character their rightfully earned EXP!! God forbid that, while playing SoA, your mage level up over level 17!!! Um... so, after you install ToB, why does it become all right?? :confused:

20. Thalantyr Guest

Useing a thief is not cheese!
    aND MY cONJURER and Sorcerer is not Cheese!
    tHERE is not one thing wrong with playing as thoose classes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.