1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ariel Sharon: War Criminal

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Argohir, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, the number would be quite similar between Israel and Palestine. The difference lies not in the number of atrocities, but in their severity.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You could use this as a start (the first hit I saw when I googled the subject):
    Major Terrorist Attacks in Israel

It only goes back to 2001. Just google the subject to find more than enough to back my statement up.

Israel has had schools attacked -- grenades and firebombs thrown in their children's classrooms. It's really sad. As I said, hate breeds hate. This is not one sided -- I don't even believe the violence is even lopsided. Both sides are equally guilty of horrific acts.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

+1

I have no doubt what would happen if Palestine had Israel's arsenal.

4. Drew

Media:
    Wouldn't that depend on which Palestinians had the arsenal? Palestine is not a state, you know. It's a bit disingenuous to speak of Palestine as if they were and even more so to hold a people lacking infrastructure to the same standard to which we would hold an established state.

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sorry my bad. Big smack on hand for generalising!

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True enough. If Bush is the murderous tyrant that cheers on rape and torture that you seem to think he is, then everyone living under his tyrannical rule should be pitied.

However, I disagree with that premise. He may not be a great leader, but I do not believe he is an evil tyrant. But it is sad that people actually believe the leader of the US is like that -- those people live a paranoid existance where a nameless, faceless automaton in a US Marine uniform will show up someday and kill their entire family. THAT is an existance worthy of pity.

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Can you blame anyone in Iraq or Afghanistan that lives in fear of foreign troops raping or killing them? What is the longest sentence issued so far for abuse or murder?

8. Drew

Media:
    Military sentences for such things are very, very harsh. The soldiers will serve more time than a civillian would, for starters, and a crime like that will inevitably land the soldier in Fort Leavenworth. I wouldn't envy their fate, Cuchulainn. Assuming they ever get out, they will serve the hardest time an American can possibly serve. They do stuff to their prisoners at Leavenworth that you just can't do to a civillian....it's that bad.

9. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@T2Bruno: I read "Major Terrorist Attacks in Israel". According to it, in 5 years, 636 people had been killed and 3211 had been wounded. But in last month, approximately 1000 Lebanese people had been killed. You can look at this . 636 in 5 years against 1000 in 1 month. Can I express myself?

Think that a thief (Israel army) had entered your house (Lebanon) and killed one or more of your family members (Lebanese people). Then you killed him. Can you say you are equally guilty?

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is the major thing that has always confused me about the pro-terrorism supporters. Somehow they came up with this theory that if they kill 5 people their opponents should only be allowed to kill 5 people. I will never understand that logic.

11. Argohir Gems: 10/31

The real terrorism supporters are Israel's supporters. And I don't expect you to understand anything against Israel or USA. In fact, I would be shocked if you understood it.

12. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Snook has a point. I saw this kind of argument earlier in the tread (when Argohir was talking about 30,000 Arabs being killed in the war vs 1000 Israeli). So you start a war and then you are complaining when your civilians suffer. Well, cry me a river.

13. T2Bruno

Media:
    Drew: Unfortunately, the world has not seen any such convictions over the past few years. In fact, even with the atrocities UN forces have committed in Africa over the past decade no hard convictions have been made public. I can see how it is easy to believe such people get off lightly.

Argohir: Depends on who does the counting -- 636 (plus the hundred on your link) is approximately 1000. You can go back another 50 years and find similar instances on both sides. As I said, I believe the numbers even out in the end -- both sides are wrong.

As far as whose home it is.... That's really a tough issue. The Israeli's believe the region is their ancestral home (given to them by God via Moses) -- one they were driven out of long ago and have now been able to reclaim. The land is also holy to the Lebanese and Palistinians.

All groups have strong religious ties to the region and believe it is central to their religion. Of course, that means the other religion is wrong and has no claim. As I have stated repeatedly both groups are at fault here, neither has a greater claim to the region (although Isreael has the more legal claim in the eyes of the world).

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Argohir: Disagreement does not imply lack of understanding. Of course, I would be shocked if you could grasp this.

15. Argohir Gems: 10/31

@Rallymama: Of course it doesn't and I didn't say it implies. Some people disagree it by showing reasons and listening to others. But the others can't tolerate different ideas. I am always glad to hear what others think, if they can be supported by logical arguments. And you can be shocked if you want. Is it OK?

Edit:
    I think he isn't even capable of being an evil tyrant. And you can see the real paranoid and pitiful existance if you look at USA's actions after September 11.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.