1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are you surrprised at the lack good aligned mages in BG1?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:skeptic: What does that have to do with WIS? And if you're lobbying for 18 DEX, remember again that this is an NPC; putting 18s everywhere looks horrible, and 16 or 17 is a fairly good score for someone who doesn't have DEX as their most important stat.

2. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If Eldoth's STR. & DEX. scores were flipped an I could get him sooner I would. I hate getting abard late in the game and he has 16 to 20 hit points.
    I agree, and thats why it is hard to build a decent NPC bard. The stats are too spead out.

3. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Simple. It was about your point in putting extra atributes to Con. Con is almost useless on a high dex character, especially one who's not a tank. So those extra atributes might as well go to Wis.
    I don't see why are you against an 18 dex character. Remember that Coran has 20 (impossible built even for an elf) whil Kagain has 20 Con (another impossible built).

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm not against 18 DEX, I'm against having 18s everywhere and creating an uber-NPC. With there being already an 18 in CHA and a 17 in INT with your proposal, another 18 is overkill. You'll notice that even Coran and Kagain with their ridiculous 20s (not impossible, BTW, with certain subraces), have only two 'exceptional' scores, and Coran's is even in CHA where it won't do him a bit of good unless you elect him party leader.

As for the points being useless in CON, AC doesn't help one bit against spells. The plain, simple truth is that sooner or later, everyone will get hit, and extra HP helps you survive that. I'd hardly call that useless.

And finally, "they might as well go to WIS" is faulty as well. Even if CON were useless, STR certainly isn't. A STR of 14 or 16 would mean doubled carrying capacity, while again, you'll notice barely any difference from a WIS of 15, as I already explained. What this adds up to is that WIS is the worst place to put points into for a bard, barring a minimum of 10 to prevent lore penalties.

[ August 31, 2006, 09:08: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It might have been more interesting to just redo the existing NPC's stats ? Garrick and Eldoth doesnt need to be so useless, with a little bit of mixing with the stats they could both be more interesting choises (I am talking about just giving them a +1 or +2 in a few stats that they would benefit from, not go overboard with 18s etc) It would have been nice to see all of the NPC's more or less equal in stats, as opposed to now where certain NPC's are considered so overpowerfull there is no point in adding anything else (coran or exs).

I used Garrick and Safana in my last party and had a great time, they are fun and a bit different from what i am used to (as well as Ajantis, Branwen and Yeslick for rest of the team). And yet so many people refuse to use those two becose of their stats ? well if all stats where more "similar" perhaps it would be more interesting for everyone to try different NPC's (and yes im even talking about redusing Coran to dex 19 and Kagain to Con 19 to aply with normal rules for elf and dwarf).

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has anyone considered using the Tutu mods that allow NPCs to use kits? Kivan was an archer in BG II and it fits him to be one in 1 as well. After all, he's the one with a bow in his avi picture, not Coran ;) I am wondering about my party... Jaheira and Khalid don't seem so powerful, or useful, but the plot makes it hard for me to take them away...

7. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think if you lowered Kagain's CON. to 19 and Coran's DEX. to 19 it would ruin the unique qualities that make them appealing enough to use in the first place. In kagin's case, without a con. 20 giving him regeneration, he is a below average fighter who gets hit alot due to his low dex. and cannot carry many throwing axes and loot while wearing a heavy suit of armor at the same time due to his str. In Coran,s case, the only thing his dex. 20 gives is a few extra thief points and plus it looks kool on a record sheet, but that is just enough for some players to think, Hey! this elf rocks! So the only real advantage in these guys having 20's instead of 19,s in these stats is perception. Coran gains next to nothing and kagin trades getting hit a lot for regeneration. anyway, thats my take on thier high stats.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.