1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are you Fat?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I take it that a stone is three times as much as a pepple? :1eye:

Ok. One stone is the same as two cloves. one clove is 1/4 of a Tod, which is 28 pounds. *snicker* Yep. Gotta love Brittish weight units. I wonder how they manage the S.I units. hehe

2. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'm 5'4", and 170 lbs, which translates to just over 12 stone, if I did the math properly.
    Technically, I'm overweight but not obese, but truthfully, I don't look it. But I do need to start altering my eating and excercise habits before I do become noticeably overweight.

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm working on it! :D I have a pact with my husband: I'm going to get really fat, and he's going to go bald, and when we've achieved these objectives we're going to go back to New Orleans to relive our honeymoon at the Acme Oyster Bar.

I think it's really important in life to set achievable goals, and then celebrate your victories. :p

4. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

lol Sprite
    BTW, BMI tests aren't very good, because while they say "overweight" that doesn't necessarily mean "fat." As I'm sure most of you know, muscle weighs a fair amount more than fat...(hint hint ;) )
    A few more conversions for metric...
    -2.2 lbs = 1 kg
    -1 inch = 2.5 cm
    -1 foot = 30 cm

PS- Slim, I play (American) football, and I'm a defensive lineman and sometimes linebacker (in case you were wondering)

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] WORD.

I play TE, WR, and some DE [and interesting combo of positions, I know].

P.S. Scara, be at my place @ 9.

6. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I assume you mean 5'10", or possibly even 5'11" (that's what 180cm is roughly equivalent to).

I'm 176 cm, 67kg, which, on me at least, looks pretty slim.

I've gotta ask those of you who are overweight / obese (and I don't mean this as any kind of insult, just a question): Don't you miss being able to break into a sprint whenever you want / need to, run up the stairs, climb a tree for fun, stuff about with your mates, etc? I know I'd miss all those things if I were 30kg heavier.

7. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Sorry my mistake, I'm 5'12" (=180 cm), not 5'0". Geez, I knew I should have checked it with a calculator. (5*30=150 12*2.5=30 150+30=180cm)

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Judas- who ever told you that fat people can't "break into a sprint whenever you want / need to, run up the stairs, climb a tree for fun" ? They were pulling your leg, my friend. I used to play football with some very fat women who could do all of the above and more. The main thing they couldn't do like "normal people" was shopping for clothes.

10. Judas Gems: 7/31

@Silverblade

5'12", eh? AKA 6'0"?

AFAIK 2.54cm = 1 inch, so 6*12*2.54 = 182.88cm - you're just under 5'11" if you're 180cm.

@Sprite
    No one ever told me that - I've seen it for myself. I'll admit that my experience with the overweight is not extensive, and perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that it's the general case. In the sports I've played (and in day-to-day activities) my overweight friends (and I'm not talking about "a little bit chubby", I'm talking "pretty damned big") are always outdone in terms of speed / agility / endurance, etc. I didn't mean to say that being overweight totally precludes these actions, just that it makes them much more difficult.

[ September 20, 2002, 02:08: Message edited by: Judas ]

11. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    scarampella, I know all about that placement thing... I have to stare down at least one a week. *sigh* the joys of living in a college town... not.
    Generally, reminding them that my face is actually several inches higher than their eyes are is good enough embarrassment, unless they're really drunk.

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

But 1 feet=30 cm right? I'm 180 cm, 180/30=6, so that makes me 6'0". 5'11 or 6'0", doesn't matter to me anyway. It might just be the difference between morning and evening. Did you now you shrink about 1 inch during the day? You regain that inch while you sleep.

Why can't the whole world, just use one system, it would be much easier.

13. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

5'6'' and 150 +- 5lbs here. Which is suprisingly healthy considering my voracious appetite and total lack of exercise. :)

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    height = 1.76 meters (69 inches)
    weight = 53.0 kilograms (116.6 lbs)

BMI of 17.1

I agree Silverblade, one system would be a lot easier.

[ September 21, 2002, 16:28: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

15. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well, if ya must know, I'm 59 kg and 180 cm.

Oh, and apparantly my BMI is 18.2.

[ September 21, 2002, 16:38: Message edited by: Wildfire ]

16. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Your 13 year old female with a :
    height = 1.60 meters (63 inches)
    weight = 45.5 kilograms (100.0 lbs)

has a BMI of 17.8

Your child is not over or underweight and has a healthy bmi!

Woohoo!

17. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Judas, would you mind saying "fat" or "overly chubby" (or something else to that effect) instead of "overweight," since overweight could also mean "muscular." I'm not asking this to make you insult your friends or anything, but I'm pretty overweight, but I'm not really fat, more chubby or chunky ;) (get what I'm saying?). There are fat people who can run you know, and as for agility...I have a friend who's obese, and happens to be a gymnist! He even won an "athlete of the week" award once... :hmm:

18. Judas Gems: 7/31

An obese gymnast? My mind is drawing some pretty funny pictures. I guess I'll have to yield on that point, though. As I said in my previous post, what I said is based on what I've experienced (and I also acknowledged that this is a pretty limited sample).

Hehe, ok. I'll say "chunky" from now on, if you like. I know what you mean. If I somehow managed to put on 20+ kg of muscle, I'd be overweight / obese, too, but wouldn't be "fat". I'm sure Arnie is "obese" according to that BMI calc.

Now that I think about it, I saw a "chunky" Korean guy backflip down the room before doing a jumping spinning kick to break something held over his head (during a Hapkido demo). That was recently, and I was surprised. Surely it makes it harder?

As for conversion, 30cm != 1 foot.

2.54 cm = 1 inch, so

2.54 * 12 = 30.48cm = 1 foot.

Hence, 180cm = 5ft 10.86in

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Faerus & Judas, that's pretty much what I was trying to say too- some of the women on my football team were just enormous- one of them weighed 300 lbs- but they were strong, healthy and could run forever even if the BMI suggested they should be dead. Tools like "ideal weight ranges" and the BMI seem pretty irrelevant if you have other ways of measuring a person's fitness. As far as I'm concerned, any adult who can climb trees, sprint, etc is physically fit regardless of weight. Like Arnie, or my former teammates. It's the amount of exercise you get that really matters.

20. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Your 12 year old male with a :
    height = 1.80 meters (71 inches)
    weight = 90.9 kilograms (200.0 lbs)

has a BMI of 28.0

Your child is overweight!

BTW, I can curl 45 lbs. and it says some thing about being overweight and not fat.
    (I truly don't understand what the hell any of this means)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.