1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are people stupid.

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by rastilin, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I mean in general, do you think people are really stupid. Personally I think yes every time I look at an relationship advice column, I mean how smart do you have to be to figure out that the other person is also human.

So for me that's a yes.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

People are stupid. :p

Did that need any proving?

3. Commandante Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

einstein said "there are two things i am sure about, the universe is infinite and human stupidity and i am not 100% about the former"

just look at dumb-ass american politics to see human stupidity at its mind numbing greatest, esp againsth the cuban 5!

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What does "stupid" mean? :xx: :rolling: :spin: :roll:

5. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I take it to mean incapable of processing known data at a certain baseline, usually yours. This means that someone can know lots of stuff and still be as smart as a brick. Refer to my earlier example..

There's ample proof that other people think, have aspirations and emotional needs. Logically you should'nt have to tell someone that the person they're married to is also human, but you often do. That is an example of an idiot. Another example is people who think that it's impossible to get pregnant the first time you have sex. That needs no explantation, but rather five rounds from a pistol. On that note there are also people who think that it's possible to get pregnant from a man's fingers. I s&)$ you not.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Commandante
    Yes. Americans are the only country guilty of stupid politics. Good call. Everyone else bats 1000.

Such blanket statements are anything but stupid. No, really. :rolleyes:

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ignorance is bliss ! Education is superfluous ! Archaic needs have to be satisfied ! Ahm... it depends who you know and what hobbies they have.

8. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This is such a stupid topic I won't even bother to type a reply. oh **** I just did didn't I that must make me stupid :doh:

But been serious if by stupidity you mean intellegance (or in some cases the lack of) then I do not think it, or talent matters one bit. There is a lot of wasted talent in this world and there are a lot of people that are high achievers that achieve what they do simply out of three key factors, determination, persistance and motivation, if you have all of this then you can achieve or learn almost anything you want regardless of how "smart" you are. I can relate to this because I have become good at things which I was incompetent in before just by persisting and wanting to learn.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's easy to be cynical.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If we are basing stupidity on some arbitrary measure of reasoning capability then of course the threshhold for stupidity could be set so that a large proportion of the population fall into the stupid catagory. If we are basing it on behaviour, i.e. doing things that we think are stupid things to do, then I would have to say that everyone behaves in a manner that could be labelled as stupid at various points in his/her life.

I had a friend in university who I would say was very intelligent in terms of his field of study. He was frequently exasperated at the "stupidity" of the other students who could not easily grasp some of the more complex concepts. The one thing that he said that I will always remember him for is "If this is the cream of the crop I would hate to see the rest!" However, this same guy would often demonstrate a considerable lack of common sense which often led him to doing things that I would say were very stupid things to do.

If I look at myself, I would say that I am a fairly intelligent person in terms of reasonaing ability but if I wanted to I could come up with a long list of stupid things that I have done and will probably continue to do in the future.

So I guess my answer to the question is yes, all of us are stupid about certain things at certain times.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's not like they are stupid.

Look, 60% people are average smart. They don't lag behind, they are pretty smart, have various talents etc, but they're just not masterminds.

Some 20% are below average smart. They aren't supposed to be the brains of the party. They don't have to stupid, they just take time to think and they won't catch everything.

If you're a quick thinker and catch things easily, you should remember that 8 in 10 people don't. You don't notice that when you keep company with people more or less like you - be it school, work, whatever. But in life, on the street, it's present.

Well, but if you mean the almighty infinite human stupidity Einstein was talking about, it's more like not using your brain at all than having a very limited one. It's just people refusing to think. Careless, thoughtless. Perhaps stupid. Not using your brain actually seems stupider to me than just being retarted. Even if technically it's more like mental laziness. So people with genial IQs can be stupid too sometimes.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

There's a lot of them. But that doesn't make them bad people. A lot of them are fairly nice. They're just, sheepish.

13. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Everyone has both brilliant and stupid moments in their lives. It probably has more to do with how you feel about people then how smart they actually are.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd move this topic to AoDA and berate Commandante for his stupid remark, but considering this whole topic is pretty much stupid, on stupid, and full of stupid, I just didn't bother. It's not worth it. I'm sure I'll close it as soon as it becomes "too stupid". Though if there's any hope for humanity left, it'll die without administrative intervention.

15. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Is that you trying to hint at something Taluntain?

Anyway, it does all depend on your definition of the word stupid, and technically we are all "stupid" as we all do stupid things during our life.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Yes. Although to post this thread is pretty stupid ;)

17. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think Tal's trying to say that since we are all stupid and we are talking about a stupid topic that is full of stupidity that he is hoping the thread will die out before we make it any stupider then it already is and Tal won't be able to close it since we are all stupid and stupid people can't do smart things like close stuipid threads like this stupid one since we are all full of stupidity and because we are full of stupidity we can't do smart thing like close this stupid topic before it becomes too stupid or something like that and I would use punctuation but I am stupid and stupid people do not use punctuation and since all people are stupid punctuation does not exist.

IF ANYONE is still with me have I reached the height of stupidity yet?

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good work. You get to take a plaque home for the effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.