1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Archer: Long-/ Short-/ Crossbow?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Maertyn, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Completed the game with my BG1-fighter and my beloved sorceress. I thought about starting a game with 4 pre-made characters (had a topic about my monk here, too).

So here's my problem: Should my archer go for ***** in Long Bows or Crossbows? My main concern is range capability: Short bows aren't great for that purpose (says my manual). Keldorn is good at crossbows, I always thought only bows were practical.

2. It depends on what your other ranged characters are going to use.There are times when theres too many arrows and not enough bolts or visa versa.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

*IF* you proceed to ToB, I would advice crossbow (because there's decent crossbows and bows in SoA anyway).

if you have keldorn and plan to keep him, you should go for a bow, Gesens bow is truly magnificient, short bow that is

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The short bows are better in SoA, but Drizzt will make fun of your nancy-boy bow when you meet him.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

would you please explain what a nancy boy bow is?

6. Magnus_G Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just can't roleplay a grandmaster archer with shortbows or crossbows. It just doesn't feel right. I say to heck about which have the best weapons, longbows all the way!

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I assume that a "nancy bow" is something that just about any little girl could "pull"/use. Modern bows, compound bows, have a pull tension of approximately 15-25 pounds but a corresponding throw weeight of anywhere from 55 to 105 pounds of tension due to the use of pulleys, modern fiberglass instead of wood, and better strings....

So, a nancy bow would be ne anyone could string or use, I guess, while someone like Mazzy Fentan would probably hand you her Renaissance era/style bow and then nearly die laughing as you tried to string or use it.

8. Caliban Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I think that if I were to play with an arcer or fighter, or someone who can use a longbow, I would use such for the pure reason that I tend to find magical longbows in great quantity when playing as a character who cannot use them.

I have had a few instances where the only one in my party who could actually equip a longbow is minsc, who is too busy with his dual wield ablility, sporting a mace, or perhaps an axe...

My perceptions here might be altered by the fact that I have started a few games (BG2) and quickly ended them, unsatisfied. I think I come across an Elven Court Bow in the D'Arnise Keep and wish I could equip it....

So that little bit of talk might account for why I like longbows...
    You can always hand that Gesen's to Imoen or Nalia, but who is there to grab that Heartseeker?

Caliban

9. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Shortbows have the perk of needing no ammo (Tansheron's and Gesen's bows). Crossbows.... Well, there's a +5 crossbow in SoA (you find it when killing Bhaal's guards, for the Unseeing Eye quest). And longbows.... Well, there are not as many good longbows in BG2 as there are short- and cross-bows. Funny.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 05, 2001).]

10. balta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] shortbow are better for example heartseeker +3.gýve ýt to mýnsc or vaygar.you wýll see the reasult

11. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Heartseeker is a longbow.

12. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Boosting Volygar's str with some girdles, he will be an excellent ranger.

13. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I always use the longbows, Strong Arm and Heartseeker are good weapons. I don't use crossbows because of the lower rate of fire, and the bows' greater variation of good ammo.

14. TheBully Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Spoiler

You can find the Mana bow, if you go to those horrible dark woods (Elven Forest) before you use the Rhynn lanthorn to turn it into Suldenasar or whatever its called. Its in the SW corner of the map in a cave guarded by those fish things you fight in the underdark with the corrupt tadpoles and that. Its a pretty decent +4 longbow and it looks really cool.

15. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Heartseeker is +4 THACO, +2 damage. Mana Bow is the same in those respects.

Now Heartseeker has ability to once per day increase bow's aim to +7 for nine seconds.

And Manabow has equipped ability 20% resistance to magic damage.

Heartseeker speed factor:4
    Manabow speed factor:3

Which would you prefer? I favor Manabow because an Archer will already have incredible THACO, hitting target won't be a problem, so the magic damage bonus is nice. Problem is Heartseeker is available as early as chapter 2. Manabow is chapter 6.

16. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] A choice was made. Crossbows. I liked Keldorn and the Kuo-Toan Stunning Bolts ind the Underdark!

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, I am now pretty sure I will play a halfling archer in my next BG-2 game, using a "nancy bow" and a short sword .... why should the honourable profession of a ranger be restricted for the human, elf and halfelf races only ?

18. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Crossbow? Tsk, tsk, tsk. You should know that the prime concern for any hero is massaging his gargatuan ego. Anything which does not show off a hero's fantastic skills (and inherent nobility) is a no go. The crossbow, being easier to use than the longbow, is a "cowardly peasant's" weapon. In fact, why use bows at all, that's putting yourself at an unfair advantage and removing an oppportunity to marvel at your own incredible prowess. Ignore the weapon! Destroy your opponents by spitting!

19. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

<<why use bows at all ... Destroy your opponents by spitting!>>

I bow to the master of the well-spoken and obvious main concern of all heroes!

20. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Bolts do 1d8... arrows 1d6..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.