1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcane Archer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So Arcane Archer levels really can help bolster a wizard's crappy base attack bonus for any arrow. Cool. Shame I'm going to have wait until level 13 before I can take a level in it. And by then, enemy AC will have long surpassed the progression in Wizard BAB so I wonder if it will still be worth it.

PS - NWNWiki!? Whatever will they think of next.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's been listed on SP for a while now.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry, somehow I'd never noticed it before.

I am now having doubts again about the arcane archer concept given that I will not be able to take levels in it until 13th level and I wonder if by then whether a +1 or +2 here and there will really be able to compete with the AC of monsters at that stage. I'm wondering if I'll just end up missing with most arrows and be better off casting low level offensive spells instead.

What is the arcane archer's BAB progression, by the way?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BAB is the same as a Fighter, but it gets fast progression on both Fortitude and Reflex saves and slow progression on only the Will save.

6. Harbourboy

Ah, that's good, so a few Arcane Archer levels will make a noticeable difference to the character's overall atrack bonus if you add the BAB and the Enchant Arrow amounts.

I wonder which HotU NPC would be the best complement to a character coming out of Undermountain at around Wizard 12 / Arcane Archer 4.

7. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Deekin with a crossbow and/or the tiefling, I would think. Set the tiefling to attack nearest and Deekin to guard you (give him a melee weapon so he'll distract enemies who get to close range) and you'll be as set as you're ever going to be.

8. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

From what I remember, if you took 5 levels of wizard, shouldn't you be able to enchant an arrow with fireball?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Actually, according to this you can fire a 10d6 fireball arrow three times a day at AA level 2.

I actually never tried it because in D&D you can just cast a spell you knew onto the arrow, you didn't automatically get a fireball arrow.

10. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

that exploding arrow is incredibly nasty with a good blast radius.

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Very powerful class :) .

D&D rules make it better for the wizard, since well... attach disintigrate to an arrow... and well... Ouch.

12. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yeah, but you have to reach caster level 6 first. Which sucks on your BAB. The only thing that assures you hitting the target then is True Strike.

A staggered spell casting progression would help.

13. Harbourboy

Just realised if I take one level of rogue, that will actually delay my access to Arcane Archer as 1 level of rogue does not add to BAB.....

14. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

1 rogue level adds .75 to your BAB.

15. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

It adds nothing to your BAB. D&D doesn't work with fractions or partials, only absolutes :) . Thusly 1/2 damage from 33 damage fireball is rounded down to the nearest 1. 16 damage.

Back to the topic at hand, true strike = you don't need BAB when you can insta-kill :) . You may ask how that's insta-kill well let me just explain. The thing that makes a clever wizard so deadly, is his ability to prepare the right spell for the right circumstance. For example, a wizard fights a rogue, he uses spells that have fort/will saves, because rogues have weak fort/will saves.

Now, of course you won't use a disintigrate arrow against a fighter, but you might use a different spell, relying on reflex or will. There's no point in using a "domination" arrow, since you could just cast the spell at the fighter, but instead you can cast a lightning bolt, which would strike the fighter 100%, and it would be 1d6/level of caster + 1d6(for the arrow), and the fighter has a low chance of making it out of it. Even if the bolt doesn't kill him, he's hurting.

It's definately worth getting whatever caster level spell you might want, even if the BAB is a tad low. All you're really missing out is the number of attacks you have and that doesn't really matter for this style of play. Let your henchman tank the brute, while you dispatch the rest using spells that require fort or death. Then you can use the reflex save spells to help the Henchy.

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

If this would work, I'd be all over it. Thing is, there are often more enemies than the henchman can take or hold of. They avoid him and come after your Arcane Archer/Mage/Whatever.
    This happens a lot. This is when a low BAB and fewer attacks per round hurt. Much. You have simply no time to cast True Strike, then shoot, then cast True Strike, and so on.

Except when you have a lot of Level 5 slot for quickened versions available.

In D&D, only a 2 level dip into AA is worth it. You get Imbue Arrow, and the rest is spellcaster levels all along (or suitable PrC-levels). There, you don't have to worry about you comrade's ablitiy to hold off attackers. You can cast True Strike, there are magic items which strengthen your BAB, and you can Imbue the arrows with every spell you want.

Well most of the time. If the party's only tank veers of to engage a rogue and lets those two pesky orc barbarians come right at you, you think about using the last shot before you die on him, not on the orcs.

Believe me, it was very tempting. :flaming:

17. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

When you're that high a caster, I pray to god that's not such a big deal, especially with the stone skin and invisibilty spells. You shouldn't have to worry about requiring time. Likewise I'm not 100% sure on the usefulness of the imbue arrow, since I could just fling a fireball at someone or some group :) .

I was just sayin' that no matter the situation the high level wizard/level 2 AA can handle any single character at atime. It's also too bad that they didn't include Pearls of Power in NWN, then you'd have plenty of 5th level spell slots for a price :) .

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Touch spells. Mage archers are perfect anti caster characters. 'Touch of Idiocy' and no more worries. Remember: No saving throw.

Even 'Touch of Fatigue' can effectivly weaken a melee opponent.

Also, many spells have close ranges. With a bows (or crossbow) you can shoot over longer ranges.

I wish there was a feat called 'Imbue Arrow' *sigh*

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Uhm... we should remember we're talking about NwN Arcane Archer, yes?

Obviously, there's quite a bit of difference between the D&D and NwN variants ;)

20. Harbourboy

My character is now Wizard 9 / Rogue 1 so still at least 2 more levels until I get Arcane Archer, so probably not until the very end of SoU then.

Main reason why I really want some AA levels is because my spells all seem to run out within the first few minutes of the first fight so I end up having to rest continually (with all the related backtracking to find a safe place). Being able to supplement spells with reliably powerful arrow would be great.

Plus, there are so many enemies with spell resistance that half the time offensive spells don't even work anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.