1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AORTA full

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Tal, I don't have any confirmation, it's only my belief, which is why I said "I don't think anyone will be..." My point is simply that the entire membership of the Societies should be left to be formed within the game. As with any game, this one won't be played until it's shipped and installed. Creating a "guild" with 20 or more members is premature, and fogs the issue of Role Playing within the game. What's the big deal with simply waiting until game release and joining then? Erran has already said that recruits will be expected to RP their applications to AORTA, so I see no conflict. I don't think that regulatingg their size within the game will be an issue, as long as the Societies are developing realistically within Faerun. After all, the Harpers are not limited to 20 members, last I heard, so how can any Society be constrained that way. This is simply a prerelease issue that is being belatedly brought under control.

As for joining with your friends for PnP, BTA, when's the last time you had a group of 20 people sitting in your livingroom playing the same game at the same time? There is absolutely nothing wrong with a handful of buddies getting together for a good time. But that handful of adventurers is not a guild or a society, or anything other than an adventuring party. The Societies are supposed to be something special, something bigger than just running around with your friends, beating up the bad guys.

Can you see the distinction?

2. Jordan Starwind Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The issue is not with how big is will get before release, but instead a metagaming issue. The bigger the groups are the more likely that it is to happed.

As for the agurments that ALFA cannot define guilds a certain way, you're dead wrong. TSR defined the Guilds in their source books as those Trading Companies or Tradesman groups that worked within a particular fields. For example the Iron Throne is a Guild of trades who work the same routes and give a portion of their profits (albiet a large portion) to the Iron Throne for the privilege of using their guards and trading houses.

The problem is that there is a very real difference between what we see a guild as and what it actually is in game terms. How many of you would consider the Knight of Myth Drannor a guild? By some your logic they would be, but it clear that nobody would consider them as such. The ALFA Admin are trying to get people in groups like the Knights of Myth Drannor at the start of the game. If you want to get a group that rivals the War Wizards and the Purple Dragons after the game starts go for it, but you have to it do IC. You can't just have people signing up, which is unfortunatley what happened with AORTA.

This has been decided, and is a matter now a of semantics. ALFA encourages people to band together to adventure. What they don't want is mighty hordes overrunning everything. And like I said they have no problems with societies, guilds, organizations, evil cabals, or whatever you want to call them getting really big after release. It is before release they just want a small group to organize the group they plan on starting and RP all other meetings out in game.

In any case the point it moot. I doesn't detract from the entire points of ALFA. Go join and start your own bands if you want. Become your own leaders or insane wizards. There are still plenty of ideas kick around I'm sure.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And I thought I was in minority when I was saying that I won't bother with all this until the game is released. Heh.
    It wasn't my idea you know. Maybe Erran is to eager, I don't know. But you seem to be pretty much into this whole thing too Darien. Or am I wrong?

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Nah.. mostly I just enjoy a good debate, and this has definitely been THAT! A few days ago, I was arguing just as vehemently for the other side! LOL!

It's all fun, guys, don't worry about it. :D

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My understanding of having a large group of people was so that there was a greater chance that you'd be able to find a few people with the same goals that wanted to play at the same time you did. Thus the guild. There is a certain philosophy behind it, so those that want to join share in that philosophy and would enjoy adventuring with others that wanted to join. There's a place for people to gather out of game and say "Hey, when would you like to get together to play?" I personally see no difference between gathering the people before release and after. It's not like they're going to provide a castle for us, and like you said the whole intent was to have people roleplaying their way in anyway. Which is why I don't care one way or the other... I just don't understand the reason for the big stink this has turned into.

6. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm with you, Blackthorne. I always thought the guilds existed, at least partially, to give an in-game reason to a meta-game convience(i.e., getting a group of adventurers together).
    Maybe I'm underestimating the power of guilds, or just missing the point.

As to why there's such a big stink over it: it's april of 2001. ALFA started up late '99, and NWN won't ship 'til late this year. It's a big deal because there's nothing else to put that NWN energy into, basically.

Cullain

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Good points made by all. I think that perhaps the whole guild issue is getting a bit blown out of proportion. It's only a word that applies to a group of like minded players in this case. I usually don't carry around my copy of Websters Dictionary, but my understanding is that a 'guild' is much like a workers union of today. I'd side with one of you debaters, but I already forget who stands for what. Heh.
    Myself, I would rather play with people that I know and trust (or distrust), it's much more fun.

Oh, does anyone know how many times I can apply to ALFA?

*/me Starts to count on his fingers*

8. Jordan Starwind Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lord Moeken,

You can apply as many times as you like. The only thing is that you may only apply again after the rejection period. I believe that it is 2 weeks. So if you don't get a great big acceptance letter within 2 weeks of applying try again.

9. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Ok lots of good points. My view:
    I wanted a guild of 20 or so so that any time I logged on I would find another 5 chums to go adventuring with. We've got members in Slovenia, Norway, UK, East Coast US, Central US, West Coast US and Hawaii.
    Can someone tell me when I'm gonna get that on line all at the same time?!
    Glad to see Duskai show up, please newcomers do NOT put ...of AORTA in your sig pic or post, you're on the wait list til shipment day, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun.
    Whats in a name - AORTA is an Order of Adventurers, whatever that means
    I'll be away on business for a bit so I wont be able to post. Hopefully when I'm back the smoke will have cleared.

10. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Well perhaps that was my problem. After assuming that I failed my first app. (which is a valid assumption I think) I reapplied with what I thought was an exercise in perfection, just one week later. Perhaps I was too hasty. I realize that ALFA has to be quite picky to keep out the riff raff, but hell, I'm a Lord for crying out loud ;)

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited April 17, 2001).]

11. Paragon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Player Apps are not being reviewed until the player database goes online.Up until then, im afraid its gonna be a wait.
    :(

12. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Thanks, Paragon! :)

13. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Wah? Huh? Did I hear correctly?
    Applications for ALFA aren't being processed at the moment?
    *uses best Jim Carry impersonation*
    So you're telling me there's a chance eh. Cool.

14. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] *Edit* AND I JUST SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: AHHHHHHH!!!

No need for that, Egg. Chill!

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 18, 2001).]

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Too many big stinks lately concerning ALFA policy round here lately. I gotta agree with BTA. It's all in the name of fun, just play the game and forget the debates ;)

16. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] To paraphrase Bill Shankley talking about soccer:
    "Of course it's not a matter of life and death - its MUCH more important than that!"
    :D

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Well doesn't that just take the cake. Exactly three weeks after my application was submitted to ALFA I get my acceptance notice. I'm glad that I got accepted, but I wanted to play with you people, my companions, the people I've learned to trust. Damn ALFA for being so slow! Anyways, anyone else in this predicament and looking for a place to play or a guild to join? Crawl? ;)

18. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

You're IN!! Yay!! :D

*big hugs and a congratulatory smooch!!*

Don't worry about the guild being full. I'm sure plenty of us will die off soon enough leaving room for all you wannabes. ;) I'm not expecting Vandriel to last a week of game time! lol!

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congratulations Moeken! And don't worry; just because you're not in the guild doesn't mean you can't adventure with any of us...

20. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Argh!!! *Crawl shakes his fists at the sky* Why god, why?!? Oh, to heck with it...I give up. Anyone looking for a high advisor position ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.