1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AntiVirus Software

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gaear, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Does anyone here forego antivirus software? I just went through a horror show routine where after logging onto my machine here Monday, I found that my browser (Chrome) wouldn't load pages and would cause a general overall system bogdown when it was launched. IE operated at about 50%. Everything else in the system was basically unaffected. Assuming I had gotten a virus somehow (even though everything was fine last Friday), I tried to run a virus scan, but AVG Free wouldn't launch right either. (It would hang trying to update itself.) I did get it to run command-line style in Safe Mode - no viruses found.

Still thinking I must have a virus, I downloaded AVG's 'Rescue CD' software, which runs at bootup and precedes the loading of the OS. No viruses found. Malwarebytes found no malware. All this took hours and hours.

Further investigation revealed that Automatic Updates were hanging on download for some reason. Eventually I uninstalled AVG Free, disabled automatic updates (getting it to stop trying to download despite this is trickier than it sounds), downloaded an updated version of Google Drive (the old version just randomly started shouted at me for using an 'outdated' version and did nothing else to help, thanks Google), and then magically Chrome started working again (even faster than before), and everything is back to normal. ATM I have automatic updates entirely disabled and no antivirus software running. My Windows firewall is still enabled.

I'm not the sort to download and run mysterious .zip attachments in e-mails from unknown persons, nor do I surf shady websites. And AV software seems to carry a huge overhead anymore. (If you look at your system processes, you'll see that it's consuming the lion's share of your resources at any given time.)

Do I really need AV software at all? Also I'm on WinXP, and support for that is going to end in April anyway.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To be or not to be.

I use Avira for our everyday PC (XP). Works supposedly.
    Gaming Rig (W7) has no additional protection-software whatsoever.

Both get scrubbed once a year. (format c: ) :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're going to move to W8, that already comes with basic anti-virus protection alongside the firewall. Personally, I haven't encountered actual viruses in years. What you typically get today is some kind of malware, but Malwarebytes and SpybotSD work well enough against that. It still makes sense to keep a virus scanner installed, but I wouldn't bother having it running constantly.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I heard about the Auto Update in Win XP going bad again after an update sometime in November from my GF. Apparently it was a problem back in 2007 or so and has now appeared again due to something MS updated. I've seen various solutions including manually applying an IE patch from MS, but that didn't seem to fix the problem for her. Disabling automatic updates seems to be what works. It seems to be some issue with the updater communicating with the MS server with the implication that it uses IE to do the communicating.

My cynical side thinks it's an intentional thing from MS to encourage moving off of XP.

5. Gaear

Media:
    Ha - I tried that exact same thing. Ditto. The updater/server thing sounds right because there was a pretty constant ping being attempted all the while. (I just mean you'd see the hourglass pop up every three seconds then go away but nothing would ever happen.) Also update.exe kept popping up in processes and then going away again.

Thanks for the info, guys. :thumb:

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I too had the issue since the end of October, and it seemed to get even worse in November. It affected both my old XP machine and XP mode on Windows 7.

I'm convinced by the fact that it hasn't been fixed in two months that it's deliberate sabotage to encourage people to buy Windows 8 (32-bit).
    They can say "That old thing running XP? Perhaps if you upgrade your OS it'll run faster".

If anybody has a solution that actually works, I'm interested. All I've seen is the IE update thing, and it didn't work.

7. Gaear

Media:
    Well disabling automatic updates restored everything to normal for me. Auto updates are meh anyway - you can still get them manually.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The problem is that the manual way is also glitched out for me. It takes hours, and when I botched XP mode, It STILL hadn't come up with a list of updates when I left the computer on overnight.

That is, when I choose "Windows Update" from the Start menu.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right. The problem is with windows update, not the fact you've chosen auto-update. But I suppose that will become moot in April when Microsoft stops supporting XP. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.