1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another public shooting rampage...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, where's the data proving that the average gun owner fires about 50,000 rounds a year? My boss owns 4 guns...and hasn't fired a single shot in 5 years. I bet he thinks he's average, too.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    martaug, I think you need to read carefully what I wrote and respond to what's written, not what you think is written. I have nowhere said that rednecks are "typical gun owners" in the US. That's your wording. Which also happens to be completely contrary to what you're trying to convince us all of, that "if you look at the typical gun owner you will find that they are well above the average in education and income".

Now either the typical gun owners (according to you) are rednecks, or they're well above average in education and income. But, obviously, they can hardly be both.

And to answer your question, yes, there are certainly plenty of people who are ignorant but not dumb. The two are by no means necessarily connected. But it all boils down to semantics, of course, and how you define ignorance. But I'd rather not play any more word games with you.

Was that supposed to be a joke? Or are you really expecting a gun BAN (the horror!) to work on a small island in a sea of guns? That's about as stupid as expecting that making dry counties or towns will eliminate alcohol consumption in them. :rolleyes:

If buying 3-4 guns is considered average where you live, then I have to wonder what is considered excessive in your parts. But I guess being able to arm your entire line down to prehistoric times just from your family's private armoury is a special achievement of sorts. Most people in Europe compensate with expensive cars instead. ;)

What some people waste tons of money on never ceases to amaze me. But then again, you could make your own bullets for certain less sophisticated guns. Not that you need to conserve money, obviously.

That's great for you. But extrapolating an average from your group of shooting friends only works for the average in your group. It's certainly not something you could apply to the entire nation.

Dear me, you've found 2 actual exceptions to the rule (unverified by me), out of a few dozen countries! That totally kills my argument, because we're all arguing that there should be a total ban of guns in the US.

Oh, wait, we aren't. :rolleyes:

Nakia likes this.
  3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    martaug,
    read this, from a very much pro-gun site. Nevertheless, the man is absolutely right. You ought to listen to him.

Amazing what an extensive bookmark collection is good for. I knew I'd need that link rather sooner than later.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't recall saying much of the trash you posted above, since I was not at home on any of those occasions, but you can continue to live in whatever fantasy it is in which you currently reside. However when I was younger I never needed to call anyone, since one lived in our home. But when it comes to "BS" you are certainly the expert.

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not trying to get an old thread going again just felt the need to update.
    No charges to date have been brought against joe horn & a fair amount of information about the 2 men has surfaced.
    "Police initially identified the dead men in Horn's yard as 38-year-old Miguel Antonio DeJesus and Diego Ortiz, 30, both of Houston of Afro Latino descent. However, DeJesus was actually an alias of Hernando Riascos Torres, 38. They were carrying a sack with more than $2,000 cash and jewelry taken from the home. Both were convicted criminals from Colombia who had entered the country illegally, and were members of an organized burglary ring in Houston. Police found a Puerto Rican identification card on Ortiz while Torres had three identification cards from Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic." granted this was from wikipedia so that has to be taken into account
    If they had no criminal record it would have went a long way towards getting charges pressed against mr horn.However with them having griminal records & apparently members of organised criminal enterprises this really helps his claim of protecting himself

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The way I see it, it doesn't make his claim of self-defense much better, rather it discourages people to push for the rights of the victims (in this case). Even if they had just run away, I think few prosecutors would bother, not to mention anything about a jury.

It's somewhat hypocritical, but not entirely surprising.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Theft is not murder. We don't give the death penalty for theft, and having a criminal record for (non-violent) theft doesn't really make you a threat. Given that all they were doing was robbing someone else's house, shooting them was far too extreme a response...even for Texas. Most importantly, these thieves weren't actually threatening the guy (they were actually fleeing) in this particular case, so their criminal records are actually irrelevant for determining whether or not he violated the law. Given time, I think we're going to see this guy get indicted (or, at least, they'll tweak the castle law).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.