1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen's a liar!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sorvo, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Sorvo... give frickin' anomen a spear, or whatever will do... summon a frickin' wyvern and let 'im go at it. If he dies, he obviously lied, if he kills it then he's not so full of the brown stuff. Should do the trick no?

2. zantetsuken Guest

No... You couldn't get him to hold a spear, no?

3. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I have said before: He could use a staff-spear, or he hadn't become a priest yet. It's not that hard to kill a wyvern at lvl 7, right? At least I didn't have many problems with it in my BG1 games.

But yes, the only way to know for sure is to ask Elhan's mages.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] TRUTH! :D

the other battle against 20 giants is a little stiff to explain.

Lets just say he fought Normal Hill giants.

AC: 3-5
    HP: 12d8 +2
    Thac0: 9
    1 attack per round doing 2-12 +7 Avr: 14
    or throwing 1-6 +7 ave: 10,5

with a Thac0 of 9 they would probably hit Anomen half the time. only two giant can hit close combat, so the damage done to Anomen each round is 1x14 and 9x10,5. This is around a 100 HP per round. IT takes no wizard to figure out that this is not healthy in the long run.

But Anomen is the man, so lets say he choked down some potion of dexterity. And speed and had borrowed a fancy armor and shield. so his AC against blunt weapons was -10. Now life is a little more honny and sugar. only an average of 1 giant would hit him per round. Add a caravan of Healing potions and some patience he could pull this off. Couldn't he? :lol:

5. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I don't know if all the giants throwing things would be able to hit him. With a giant either side of him, they would block most enemy shots and give their allies a severe modification to THAC0. I would either make them do called shots at (say) -6, or rule that giants were too stupid to do otherwise, and give them a high chance of hitting their own side, putting the odds somewhat more in Anomen's favour. Though I still don't think he could kill them all.

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Add a Potion of Absorption and a Potion of Invulnerability to Nobleman's list, and let's say that he borrowed Crom Faeyr! This makes his story so much more believable.

But have you played IWD? The frost giants there ain't very hard. Give any fighter any missile weapon (even a sling), let him/her drink an Oil of Speed, and the giants won't last very long.

7. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Well, then give anomen a club. If he beats a wyvern by pummeling it to death with one of these, you can be sure he could do it, if he wanted to, with a spear.

8. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Anomen a liar?
    It is a game, people!
    :lol:

9. sorvo Guest

I believe the giant killings because he says he was fighting a scorching summer campaign! That's 20 giants in three or four months.I give up on the spear thing because he shouldnt even be a cleric! I give fault to the designers(just a tiny fault). They should have anomen as a fighter and then if he passes his test, raise his wisdom to 17 and let you decide if you want to dual class him into a cleric!

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

So your point is Zaragoth?? :p We are weird :lol:

I completely agree Maldir. Even the situation strikes me as hilarious. 20 Giants trembling around a fighter. heh heh. Their major flaw is the Thac0 if this can be called a flaw, when you have around 9. A low AC is essential. But Sorvo brought some facts to this. pheeww.

ANYWAY. Jack-of-all-trades have you finished the C++
    The Positioning and Magicusing BattleCracker DM toolkit I hoped you would build here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001019.html

I could really use it now. :D

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 19, 2001).]

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Anomen also is an idiot. Under AI, he casts chaotic commands on enemies. Or is this some kind of incredibly subtle attack I'm not seeing?

12. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

Success! A wyvern has fallen by anomen's hand. Literally. Equipped with nothing other than his bare fists and some bad breath from all that mead we had him drink, I had Anomen k.o. a great wyvern. He could certainly have done it in his fighting days. I'm convinced now. End of discussion.

13. sorvo Guest

The discussion was whether or not he could use a spear, not if he could kill it.

14. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

If he could do it with his damn fists, he could definitely do it with a weapon he wasn't proficient in. Anomen ain't no monk. (-:

15. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Any fighter can use a spear, even if they're not proficient with them.

Besides, what's to stop a cleric from picking up a spear and use it if his life depends on it, if there's nothing else around?

16. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

He wasn't even a cleric then. This was when he was a soldier.

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Religion is a hard thing to explain Namarus. This is CRPG not PnP.

18. Dixie Flatline Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, if you are so fond of listening to what Anomen says.... speaking of those giants: he said he killed 20 of them during the campaign, not in one hour.

19. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Anomen's words to some priest after having killed that wyvern:

"Forgive me father for I have sinned. I was alone and had lost my weapons, when a wyvern attacked me. I picked up a spear from a fallen comrade and used it in self defense to slay the foul beast..."

The priest's response:

"A grave sin indeed. You know our rules, Anomen, no spears, halberds, swords or other sharp objects may be used, even in self defense... You shall have to eat only bread and drink only water for the remainder of the month... then you shall have forgiveness. Go now..."

Religion is indeed hard to explain...:lol:

20. sorvo Guest

Maybe thats why he doesn't have the correct wisdom score, he lost points every time he screwed up!:D

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited September 20, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.