1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen, Keldorn or Minsc: which one to take?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by jxbl1, May 29, 2002.

1. Boo II Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Although mabe a bit late, I feel it is my duty to chop all Minsc's foes into tiny foe-shaped bits.
    Minsc rocks, with his funnyness, and he also comes in handy if Aerie is getting herself killed once more.
    Furthermore he's a Great Melee Fighter, and he's been with you from the start of the saga, and btw, Boo (II) rocks too :grin:

2. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anomen, I hate him, but hes one of the greatest npcs. I love minsc, but hes one of the worst npcs, a ranger in platemail and two handed sword? He should be berzerker.
    Keldorn is good with his specialabilities if he got dex gauntles, but yere a pally to.

3. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Definitely Minsc!

He's a tank and his dialogs and interactions with the other NPCs are the best.

How could you get along through bg2 without Boo's help? :p

4. Sir Daie Guest

[​IMG] I would say Anomen, simply because I enjoy pounding him if he fails his test. He gets soooooooo annoying(I know I'm a hypocrite by the way, but I really hate him)

5. DinoTiggy1 Guest

[​IMG] Anomen just gets really annoying after a while, so I'd go with either Minsc or Keldorn. I played Minsc with the flail of ages+3 through out the whole game.

6. Bon Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Why not have all 3 of them, or at least 2?
    I would say definitly Minsc if you have to choose one.

7. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

*knocks on a few peoples heads* Hello? Anybody home?:p;):p
    Properly equiped, all of them are very good characters.

If you're lookin' for a good tank, any of 'em will work. Quest-wise... *shudders*....Anomen would be the best choice out of those three....Never thought I'd say that...if you want someone who has hilarious conversations, Minsc is your man. Keldorn is good for a little quest, has a few conversations as well.

8. Bon Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I agree with Xandar Dae'Ithil, they are all very good and I would not play with only one of them.
    Have to go - there has been an attack in Jerusalem.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Xander is kinda right, all three chars are effective and powerful when equipped and used rightly. Of course, powergamingwise I would only choose one of them since there is only one pair of gaunts of dex available. Sure this is off topic, but: I would anyway prefer :love: Mazzy :love: to anyone of the three you named (she is better in melee and in ranged combat, plus her race bonuses make her very spell resistant saving-throw wise)

However, everyone of the three has strong points:
    [*]Minsc is kinda funny - when you like him :D . Good strength, as a ranger he has a good THACO, versatile in choice of weapons, a few spells, some ridiculous dialogues. He has high natural strength and is rather good once he got dex-18 and a good armor. In the expansion I usually switched over to make him use a singlehanded weapon and the fortress shield since I found two handed and two weapon style IMO generally made chars too vulnerable.

[*]Anomen (yes, he sucks so thoroughly as a NPC) however is a relatively useful char. I made him wield the hammer of lightning and a sling as his primary weapons and he was rather good in melee and ranged combat in SoA. Later I more and more restricted him to be a spellcaster, however, by using the cleric's combat magic I was easily able to turn him into a useful melee fighter. He has the same problem any low-first-level dc-char has: When facing higher level enemies better keep him away from the frontline.

[*]Only weak spots with Keldorn are dex and str but these can relatively easy compensated by the use of the gaunts of dex and a strength girdle or an aoccasional potion. His abilities as an inquisitor are kinda handy sometimes. Keldorn and Carsomy are an awesome combination, however, a good bastardsword and a shield are also a good choice for him.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 20, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  10. waylander Gems: 1/31

i cant quote stats like half the guys/girls here but with me it boils down to sentimentality,sad i know.minsc is just quality,any man that talks to his hamster just HAS to be taken along!!thats the beauty of the game in my opinion!(which is pretty naff!):lol:

[This message has been edited by waylander (edited June 28, 2002).]

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

jxbl1,

looking at the date you first posted made me decide not to give any suggestions regarding who to take. so, i ask you this question:

who did you choose?

hope you had fun. :)

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Never have more than one paladin in your party is a rule of mine. :)
    Keldorn is outstanding and unless your protagonist is a paladin or you have a neutral/evil party I always recommend him.

In this case I'd go with Minsc. You have both Aerie and Jaheira so Anomen's clerical skills are not that useful.

I never use Minsc myself because IMO Valygar is better, but in this case you didn't give me much choice! :aww:

13. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

EG - what's up with the rule of no two paladins in your party? Any reason?

I have two in mine and along with Minsc they just cleave up anyone getting in my way...

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I'll go out on a limb here and presume it's because there is only one superduperonlyusablebypaladins holy sword? :toofar:

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think paladins should strive to spread their influence as much as possible, so more than one paladin at the same place could be considered wasteful in normal circumstances. The optimum from a paladins viewpoint is one paladin leading a party of other lawful good characters.

As I said this might be my own idea, or it might come from the people I played ad&d with in the 80's. I like the "rule" though. :D

16. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It also depends if you want to side with the thieves or the undead. I don't believe you can get Keldorn to join the undead. Minsc, I'm quite sure you can, but I don't know about Anomen.

17. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Having two paladins isn't a bad thing unless they are two of the same type then it gets redundent and kind of pointless. If we were just talking BG2: SoA I'd avoid taking Keldorn because of the availability of holy swords. If you factor in ToB then having a second paladin may not be a bad thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.