1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And the Nomination Race Begins!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 4, 2012.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

"He may be the first national politician in two generations who thinks we should use legal immigration to get our average up "

Wait, aren't people with university education already given preferential treatment? Considering how many politicians specifically target illegal immigrants, I would imagine that the idea of using legal immigrants to improve the state of the US (like it's been happening for centuries) definitely predates Mr. Romney's current campaign :rolleyes: . Never mind how many of my former classmates who went to the US to get their university education stayed there...

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure how many illegal immigrants are benefiting from social programs in the US. Many of them have fake social security numbers (often times the original owner of the SS number is dead) so while they pay into the system, they won't be getting money back out. We also don't have a national health care system, so they aren't sucking any money there either. (The caveat there is that they can go to the emergency room. It is required by federal law that an ER accept all patients, irrespective of whether or not they have insurance or the means to pay.)

I'm not sure what you mean with people having larger families if there were fewer immigrants in the nation. Most people I know don't want to have more than a couple of kids, and the reasons go beyond monetary in most cases. And it's not like if there were fewer immigrants you'd see drastic salary increases anyway. Do you actually think the Canadian government would LOWER taxes? Probably not by a great deal. You might get $50 more per paycheck - certainly not enough to raise additional child(ren).

And I really don't understand how having fewer people in the workforce would solve a labor shortage. If you are only taking college grads, then necessarily you're taking fewer people than you are now. How is fewer people conducive to ending a labor shortage?. That aside, you actually mean that there is a labor shortage in Canada? Cripes. Unemployment in the US is still over 8%, four years into this recession. There still aren't enough jobs to go around. Although, to be fair, the chance of being unemployed correlates inversely with education. The latest job numbers had unemployment at 4% among people with a college degree, 13% with only a high school education, and 19% among people without a high school diploma.

I think the operative phrase is "in the last two generations". Immigration laws passed in the 1920s and 1930s greatly reduced the amounts of immigrants legally entering the US. That's when you started having caps on the number of immigrants per country that the US would take. It's only been in the last couple of generations where immigration laws have limited the number of immigrants. My grandparents for example were among the last major wave of European immigrants to enter the US. Which is - coincidentally - two generations ago...

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Obama is the first sitting president to support gay marriage, according to news releases today.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not really a surprise considering who his predecessor was and the fact that it has not been a real issue on the national scene all that long. I doubt anyone even asked Clinton about it during his presidency.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Interesting, I thought that Obama was somewhat lukewarm on gays - he was supportive enough personally, but didn't go out of his way for it. I heard some opinions that Joe Biden's earlier comment might have caused Obama to speak more clearly, as it were.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Wasn't the DoMA signed into law by Clinton?

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Pardon my ignorance, but DoMA is ...?

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Defense of Marriage Act.

I know Bill did the "don't ask, don't tell" but I had to Google it and he did in fact sign DOMA in 1996.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    LKD,

DoMA is the reason why we have different rules for marriage in different states (ridiculous, IMO). DoMA essentially states that a state is not required to recognize a marriage performed in another state, even if the marriage is completely legal in that state. This prevents people who live in a state that outlaws gay marriage to travel to a state that does allow it, get married, and then when they get back say they are married. I can sort of understand it from that point of view, because in that case you are circumventing the law of your state.

However, what it also does is you can have two people who live in a state that recognizes gay marriage. They can get married, but if they later move to a state that doesn't allow gay marriage, all of the sudden you're unmarried. The other rather strange point is that since the federal government doesn't recognize gay marriage, a same sex couple will file their federal tax returns as single, but their state tax returns as married.

I think this mess will get sorted out this year, one way or the other. There is a pending Supreme Court case concerning the banning of same sex marriage in California. And the results of that case will likely determine the way it goes for the rest of the nation. The case challenged the California ban on the basis that it violated the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution - specifically the equal protection clause. If that assertion is confirmed by the SC, then it is likely that all other states that ban gay marriage would also be ruled unconstitutional upon a court challenge. If it is ruled that it is constitutional, then it would open the door to pretty much any state banning gay marriage.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Enough about the GOP nominee it looks like Obama has some competition :D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Not really that surprising coming out of West Virginia. I recall an article on exit polling in the 2008 presidential election. In West Virginia, 19% of those polled stated that they wouldn't vote for Obama because he was black. That's 19% that admitted this was the reason. The actual percentage was probably a lot more, but they didn't state that as the factor when interviewed.

I think it's safe to say that whatever map Obama hopes to focus his campaign on to get to 270 electoral votes, that map won't include West Virginia.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.