1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And now what?! (The END of ToB)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sedaia, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BG1 and BG2 were great role playing games -- it was best with one PC to take advantage of the excellent interaction with the NPC's. IWD1 and IWD2 were more for the players who like to make an entire party and pummel anything and everything.

Both were fun in their own way.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No, IWD2 was downright bad. Why?

a) There is NO story. Wait... there is: "You go and kill everything, then I give you item +5." :rolleyes:

b) The level design is trash. For example, look at THIS map. A 4-year old kid could had done better.

c) Oh, right; those battles. Did I mention that the end boss of that map is a dragon ripped straight from BG2 with one exception: instant teleport right before your nose? That battle could had been straight from Tactics when it came to difficulty, and Tactics = cheating AI for insane difficulty.

No, IWD2 is simply put *bad* by all aspects. If you want action, you can find it from any game and thus it is no excuse.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

IWD 2 was NOT inexcusably bad and this topic has been covered many times on other Boards but:
    a) No story? There WAS a story. You are mercenaries hired to save a town. That involves going around killing things
    b) Simple map? Yeah, saved on all the aimless boring wandering around you have to do in other games with bigger maps.
    c) Dragon ripped from BG2? Most of the graphics are ripped from BG2 and why not? That's what a dragon looks like......and the Guardian encounter was a great challenge.

IWD2 is a linear hack 'n' slash and is well-designed to be that. If you don't like that sort of game you won't like it.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hey, I said I hate IWD 2, Wirhe. The original IWD is fairly fun in my opinion, but the second is just pure trash, the endgame just sucked too.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Wirhe, if you want to bash IWD2, go open a topic in the IWD2 forum, but going on about it here at length is off-topic. So, please, stick to the topic of game recommendations.

(And no, IWD2 was not nearly that bad, though it certainly had a fair share of annoyances and some bad design decisions like Dragon's Eye interior.)

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Now, where were we?

Oh, yes..

Depends on your system, my favorite games in no particular order are

BG2 (both)
    BG1
    Deus Ex
    Red Faction 1 and 2
    DOOM3
    Half-Life 1 and 2
    Homeworld 1 and 2 (drool)
    Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
    Medieval: Total War (don't have Rome yet)
    Black and White

Yes, I know I'm a sucker for FPS (first person shooter, not frames per second) and sequels.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.