1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An old classic

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Get rid of the Tony Blair part and this country's all yours as far as I'm concerned. Can't do any worse.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You mention different races Saber, but at the end of the day they are all North Americans.

[ January 05, 2007, 17:20: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

3. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thats bloody class, never seen it before... if only it was for real :lol: . I like the bit where it says, "we will let you play rounders instead" :lol: and the bit about the Queen not fancying Utah!

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well atleast Finland is pure in the "american help" department. The US has done very little for us. They did not help us significantly in ww2, we only recieved some voulenteers who were mostly of Finnish origin anyway so let's consider that as a payback for those free immigrants. We said no to the Marshall Plan and told the US to shove their bribes and instead building our economy ourselves making it according to some studies the most competitive economy in Europe today. We decided not to join the US nuclear umbrella and NATO during the Cold War and instead stayed successfully neutral. So we've recieved very little help and we've done quite well without thank you very much. ;)

In any case I think T2Bruno's quotings are a bit too serious to comment in the whatnots. Good points but not really humorous.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If you actually had any decent weather in England you might appreciate the values of a coldie :)

T2Bruno - jeez, 1973, where did you dig that up from.

ChickenIsGood said:
    well..
    what's the point?

Well, er, over half of the worlds jumbo's are made by Airbus (french company). And the majority of the engines on Boeing are not made in America. Even in 1973 Airbus had a larger market share than it does now.

I absolutely agree with this, and I lie the blame squarely on Siera Leone! Is this media guy serious? I mean the US has the largest economy in the world (may have been 2nd in 1973 - I'm not too sure). Australia never receives help from other countries for natural disasters, nor would we expect or really need it.

I loved the bit about the vegetable peeler! Just think, a vegetable peeler license - you could have it laminated or framed and hang it on your mantle piece! :p

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hey! Most American's don't want Utah either! :p

All things considered, I just think that the original writer of the lame article in BA's post is just peeved that a bunch of colonists didn't think that the UK was good enough for them...then broke away from the overly-lame concept of a monarchy, and rose to be one of the greatest economies and global powers. Seriously, wtf does the monarchy do besides waste people’s money, and cause pointless paparazzi attacks?

When the constant US bashing starts to really piss me off, I like to sit back and imagine how F***ed the rest of the world would be if the US just sat back and said "F*** off!" when some massive natural disaster, war, or some other cataclysmic event happens. :bad:

I really wish the next president of the USA will have the balls to pull all our troops out of the entire Middle East and just concentrate on Homeland Security, and prevent/respond to attacks. When some tragedy happens, it's time we just sit back and say "F*** off!" But that'll never happen, and the endless US bashers will never cease... :deadhorse: :nono:

Sometimes I don’t know why I try. :rolling:

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Kitrax - Don't try. There is no point. You can't change opinions that don't want to be changed. Just take the high road. :holy: :D

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was a joke, christ almighty. That 'article' is as old as the hills, it's been around years. Supposedly John Cleese wrote it originally, but that might just be an urban myth.

Seriously though, learn to wind your necks in a bit and take a joke :p . In fact, nothing in that thing is offensive in the slightest! It's just lighthearted jokes. I despair sometimes with this place, I really do ;)

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is a thread dedicated to jokes. You should have posted it there yet another time. As it was you chose to make a statement with the joke.

I find it amazing how there is always no offense meant in jokes directed at someone else. Perhaps you failed to recognize the arrogance of the entire piece is offensive to some (and quite tiresome to others).

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's not serious arrogance. It's a joke. It's a joke that's been around for years. When it's been posted here before, American's have laughed at it for the lighthearted joke it is. If you can't take jokes, that's your problem not mine brother. There's really no need to take yourself so seriously, you'll burst a blood vessel, lad. Learn to relax :thumb: .

It should have gone in the jokes thread though, forgot all about that, stuck up the top there ;) .

I'm really not sure whether it's a John Cleese thing or not. Supposedly it is, but I'm sure someone once told me that's just one of those 'internet myths', so who knows? Still funny though.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The big thing I would add to this, is that nobody seems to have noticed that this joke takes the piss piss out of both Americans AND Britons! Half the point of this joke is to poke fun at the British stuck up old imperialist attitude to things. It's not an American bashing thing, it's just a joke about the people blowing minor cultural differences up into being big things - a stereotype which many of you here are falling right into! So thanks for making this joke even funnier for me!

And then chill out and move on to the next joke.

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yes, it is a joke. Occasionally funny too. Don't be surprised that some bristle though. There is enough anti-American sentiment around to make some sensitive. Me? Not anymore. I used to get worked up and post like a fiend in the Alleys (before I was banned), now I tune it out. Or as Barmy says, relax. :cool:

As an aside, HB, you have over 11000 posts!!!!!!!! :eek:

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We've got a thread for jokes, so let's use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.