1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An eye for an eye only makes the world blind Recruiting

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jun 30, 2009.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ok, I will see what I can whip up this weekend. BTW, since we are all NATO, I presume there should be no compatibility issues?

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    If you mean for ammo and things no, should be fine they all fire the same round (5.56mm or 7.62mm). I'm going to assume whatever nationality you are you can speak English just for simplicities sake :p

I'm off till Tuesday with limited to no internet connection so I'll see you all when I get back :)

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What character are you rolling up, Shaman? You taking the squad leader/medic?

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I was thinking support, though I could try medic as well. For the sake of novelty I was thinking of having my character be Portuguese. Right now we have a demolitionist and.. a marksman?

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Correct.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Hmm, finding enough info on equipment is a pain. I might need to play a Spaniard :( Is there any particular site you can recommend, apart from wikipedia?

7. Rotku

Have you tried wikipedia? :p

Seriously though
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Army#Equipment

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Yes, I had seen that list. It's not too complete though... I got stumped as soon as I started looking for a sidearm :( . BTW, if some of you have served - what would be the typical armament for the squad member who carries the heavier guns? I would expect that the HK21 might be used as a squad machine gun, the other two seem a bit heavy for infantry to carry.

BTW, would it be ok if I fill in where I do not have enough information?

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Hey Shaman, for anything you are not sure of feel free to improvise, I mean keep it within the bounds of reality but I'm not going to stop you being creative, infact I'd encourage it :)

The Portuguese side arm I believe (after a bit of searching and blind luck is) the SIG P226 and even if its not it'll do :p The HK21 will do fine, the MG3 is fine too but I think a bit bigger, and believe me you won't be lugging a Heavy machine gun around on your own any time soon so the M2HB is out :D

To be honest if you have to resort to your side arm your in serious do do anyway :p

Your a squad so if you have to take a particularly bulky piece of equipment into the field you're allowed to spread the load, usually between two people who are "buddies" (ie they stick together at all costs, watch each others backs etc.)

Also if your ever stuck on anything ASK! :D

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Oh, believe me, I will. BTW, would a workload including a light machine gun and another support weapon (i.e. grenade launcher) be too much? Let's try it out...

Sgt. Miguel Aleza (full name Miguel Alexandro Silva Aleza)
    Affiliation - Portuguese BRR

Description - around 5 feet 5, with a broad, stocky frame and an unsurprisingly mediterranean complexion. Dark brown eyes, black hair, short hair (not conscript short, just short).

Equipment:

Weapons:
    SigSauer SIG P226 - sidearm
    Heckler & Koch HK21 - light machine gun.
    M-79 Grenade launcher with Flashbangs, frag grenades

Equipment:
    Osprey Body Armour
    Mk. 6a Helmet
    Carrying equipment - perhaps MOLLE equivalent?
    Repair kit

Record:

2004: Enlisted, enrolled at Parachute Troops School.
    2005: Enlisted in 10th Infantry Regiment.
    20078: Served with the peacekeeping force in East Timor
    2010-11: served with the mission in Kosovo during the Podujevo incident.

Notes: generally calm and collected, with a bit of a sense for dark humor. Divorsed, 1 child (daughter). Avid mountaineer and, obviously, parachute jumper. Does not smoke, but sometimes drinks when off duty.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I'd have no problem with you carrying something like the M79 its a single fire (reload after each shot) 40mm grenade launcher thats relatively light, half the weight of a drum barrel grenade launcher, and its still in wide use in todays militaries including Portugals :) (also just copy and paste the armour and carrying equipment sections of the others if you can't find the real equivilents, we'll call it standard for Sigma).

Thanks Wikipedia (again) for making me sound semi knowledgable lol :D

I mean others can feel free to chip in with their opinions, I am not familiar with the actual weight of these things plus other equipment, but this seems like a nice compromise for the moment and can be changed at any point really :cool:

I like the character btw, he'll fit in nicely!

12. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well looking at Wikipedia the HK21 cannot mount a grenade launcher so that'll mean you'd need a standalone. The M/SB1 that is also used by Portugal weighs 34kg, not including tripod or ammunition, so I think that might be a bit too heavy to carry.
    Source
    Means therefore you'll need to turn elsewhere such as the US M79 which is 2.7kg before ammunition is included.

May be better if our leader (whoever that turns out to be) has a weapon mounted launcher instead.

PS. Will be away from 2nd to 8th, so will either need game to wait until post that or someone to post for me.

Edit:As Dave has said...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  13. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    You make a good point Tarrasque your squad leader might be a better candidate for such a thing, we'll see how it pans out, for now I'll say leave it out and we'll sort it out when we start.

And your away dates are noted, we will not start without you I have a few commitments of my own around that time so no worries :)

14. Rotku

Have we got the squad leader/medic yet?

15. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    No not yet, if you'd like to take up the reigns it can just be a title ontop of your demolitions character. Or you can just reassign your character to be Leader/Medic. Up to you :)

If you feel you have too much responsibility as leader/demolitions/medic just give the medic ability to someone else.

16. Rotku

I would roll up a new character to fit that role, but I really can't be bothered doing all the research again.

If we need a team leader, I think your last suggestion will work best.

17. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ok so you are now Team leader Demo man...I'll give the Medic ability to Tarrasque our dedicated marksman because his role doesn't really allow for big weapons like Shaman's :) Doesn't mean he can't use them, but in the grand scheme of things he's less likely.

Does this sound fair to everyone? Tarrasque, you ok with being Marksman/Medic?

18. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, not a problem.

19. Rotku

Okay. Let's get the show on the road then?

Is a Staff Sergeant still alright for a rank? It just fitted nicely with his stint at the military school thing, there been a Staff Sergeant Instructor appointment and all. Or would such a unit be commanded by a Commissioned Officer?

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Staff Sergeant will do fine :) I'll get the first post up this week...I am sorry to say I will be away from the 28th - 31st not completely without internet though so I'll try to update while I'm away, no promises though. Regarding Tarrasque's away dates, would someone be willing to write him into their posts just so he doesn't disappear from the thread for no reason? Thats if Tarrasque is fine with that :)

I'm going to post your briefing in the first post, your welcome to talk a little bit about what your character was doing before they got called into the briefing, its up to you really...you'll have a little time after the briefing to chat among yourselves and grab your gear then you'll head out to your first combat :) So GOOD LUCK and stay frosty! :cool:

Oh and welcome to the new OOC Eye for an Eye thread :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.