1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An American's thoughts on world opinion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Laches, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yago,
    you'll encounter that :mommy: *bread* :mommy: issue even when you go to the UK ... after spending 2 nice weeks there one of the first things to do was to get a slice of *real* bread. No pun intended :holy: , british cookery is just half as bad as people tell - when you can afford it :evil:

It's not only a question of health, it's a question of taste. I remember my british friends, on my awed question if they had something else than toast, referring to "bio-bread". That was in fact, still toast, yet a little darker in colour ...
    Eating toast every day, for a whole life, must certainly have a devastating, evil, corrupting and destructive influence on peoples health (and probably more :evil: )

2. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What i meant for the meat is that during the feudalistic times (dark ages before during after) the forests and therefore the game (hunt) was property of the lord so no meat for the peasants. Here in Greece the history of food indeed goes a very long way back. But we relied mainly on fishes, olives (and its products), dairy products (cheese, milk) and vegetables, fruits. We ate meat (beef, pork, lamb) but not so much as now. This is the mediterranean diet (more or less) my family prefers than eating constantly meat.
    As for the bread i have never tasted US or any others country bread (you scared me guys with these posts) but from a spanish friend that comes here now and then i have heard remarks like: the food is so tasty here in Greece etc (even for restaurant food which is not so good as the home made). This scares me for what will i eat when i go there :) .

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Only a few years ago we had a President who was mobbed by wellwishers as he traveled the globe, a man respected for his intellect and ability to communicate his ideas, an imperfect man to be sure, but aren't we all?

The contrast between then and now could not be sharper. The man in the White House is reviled and derided around the world and it is
    hard to even imagine him in an unscripted setting, meeting with
    ordinary folks not hand-chosen for loyalty to him personally. This
    man has, in his short tenure, abrogated international treaties,
    broken promises, alienated multi-generational friendships and
    cooperation with allied states and infuriated old enemies into
    newfound frenzy. He and his administration have in several different
    ways run roughshod over the Constitution they swore to uphold,
    showing a cavalier disregard for rule of law, due process, and the
    norms of a democratic society. They have shamelessly pandered to the
    wealthy business interests from whom they sprang and shown utter
    disdain for the will of the people in the USA, let alone the rest of
    the world. Now the people of the world are told that, because of
    terrorism, we Americans have the right, even the duty, to invade any
    country and depose any leader as we see fit. We also now seem to
    tell the world that if your country does not bow abjectly before the
    will of America the Mighty, it will de declared 'irrelevant' or...an
    enemy.

The people of the world recoil in horror from this swaggering
    American arrogance and that visible recoil is called Anti-
    Americanism. Yet this is not the America that the public voted for
    in 2000, this is the America imposed on it by a small clique of
    zealous ideologues using tactics of the most dubious sort.

The global 'Anti-Americanism' that our consolidated media shows us
    on a daily basis needs to be called what it really is -- Anti-
    Bushism.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is not really true. Sure Bush II has helped fuel anti-americanism but it was there under Clinton as well and long before that. For many reasons which has been stated before so do many people dislike the US, who is president doesnt affect it that much.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

http://www.democracymeansyou.com/serious/anti-american.htm

Oops, i forgot, my previous post is an opinion found here. Not from me.

At Joaquin: Yes, right. for many reasons which has been stated before so do many people dislike the US, who is president doesnt affect it that much. Yes, the above stated opinion is just one of many reasons. I found it good, because it's not the "they envy us, don't understand us, are French,Arabs and Nazis and hate us line".

6. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Stupid people are everywhere they're not exclusive to the U.S.

also; Sprite, cold potato soup is just plain nasty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.