1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An action without consequence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 20, 2003.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What if i changed my previous statement from "747 ramming twin towers" to "becoming the sole dictator of China and order tanks to ram the students"? Would be situation gets better, worse or the same? Or simply "Kill a lot of random people. And laugh insanely while doing it."? How does that sound?

i can imagine how does people who related to the tradegy felt uncomfortable when the incident is being mention again and again. But at the same time, how many of those, on the other hand, laughed at one of the dialogue in McHale's Navy "while giving gums to Chinese 'here is a gum for you, it's opium flavored, your favorite' " ?

Did i started as to make fun of the tradegy? No, as i explaned in my later message, i am serious about it, it is my thought. Did the dialogue in McHale's Navy set out to make fun? Yes they are. So, how come those that wants to make fun of others unfortunate past became celebrated icons and those who seriuously said what they felt inside became somewhat not welcomed?

Some might felt this is "publicly and obviously disturbing and offensive", but remember we came from different countries. People around me (the government, politicians, teachers, public, relatives, friends, etc.) has been talking about how Americans exploited and sabotaged thrid world countries and Asian's moral views way way before the tradegy. Beside feeling shocking and 'officially' sorry about the incident, who knows how do they felt deep down inside, given the fact that they have been telling me America people = bad people. i might just be given a medal for what i previously said in some countries.

However, bottom line is, inconsiderable i am, but i still can say this. And, it is perfectly correct for anyone who felt distrubing about it and express the feeling.

P.S. Who ever felt this or my previous '747 ramming' fantasy is annoying, sorry.

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I didn't. On the contrary really, I'm surprised you're the only one who said that. Then again, people at sorcerers' do seem more mature than people at other forums I'm in. This is not to say that you're immature, teekc, since your reasons went far beyond the petty childish provoking attitude for merely getting attention to satisfy the needs of puberty.

But really, this brings to my mind an interesting question. Or a thought, rather. How many of you actually *have* dark thoughts, but you choose to deny them, not even thinking them further? What I'm about to say will once again go more to the stream of consciousness so bear with me. But I don't believe there's a "dark animal side" to man. More I believe in that the balance is the natural way of things. People think dark thoughts simply because they never do those. Surely if all of your life you've just been staring at the same white world and white people, at some point you would at least feel a small nudge to check that place where they have a pitch black world with pitch black people. At least for me, it seems as obvious that to some extent, I must allow myself to think darker thoughts. For the more aware I am of those, the more able I am to understand them, and perhaps resist them if need be. There are many things I don't understand, yet I strive to do so always. And what I meant by not saying here what my truest of dark thoughts are was referring to just anything you can think of when you really put your mind to it. I do play with thoughts of the most horrible torturing methods in existence. I can easily picture myself slaughtering my own mother and family, my own friends in a frenzy of rage, and when I imagine this I can think: I wonder what it would feel like. There is no violent and horribly cruel thought in my head that I would not examine further. Yet, for no more reason than the fact that I've more to lose than gain in the end, I will not slaughter my family, or my friends. There are emotional blocks of course, but they are deeper down the surface.

Only thoughts that I know I am hiding, are thoughts of sickness and disease. I loathe those, and there's nothing that I'm aware of, which I would fear more than dying of a disease, embarrassed and helpless in my weakness, cursing my luck, in a bead while kept alive by some machines.

I apologize for the somewhat offtopic nature of this. But the reason I still do not refrain from posting this is because I feel the question of your own conscience, your will and ability to *personally* control your doings and the reasons for this, is closely related to the question in the topic. Afterall, not all consequences come from the environment and people that surround you, as is well known.

3. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Two chicks at the same time.

4. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would re-open a certain thread, that I think is hilarious, albeit a little side-tracked. Thats right, I'm talking about The Never Ending Storie. Since No negative stuff would happen to me for doing this, I wouldn't have to be looking around my back to see if the thread slayer was coming.
    Why would I do this. I need closure, that's why. What are they going to Baldurs Gate for, what for , what for, ahhhhhh, I'll never find out.
    Yeah, that or become enlightened.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] On the lighter side:

Write the story for Star Wars Episodes 7-9 and get the best Hollywood crew and big budget to create them. :grin: :tie: :grin:

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] But I really, really do want to kill a lot of random people and laugh at their loved ones as they grieve.

Ah well. Just a dark fantasy. We all have ours, don't we? Remember kids, that there ARE evil people in this world.

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So I presume you would object to my eliminating them? Oh well.
    -I would elminate pacifists, or send them into a warzone or move them and their families to a country that's being attacked, to let them see how hard it is to protest war when the only way to save their loved ones and themselves is to go to war.
    -Or I would knock some sense into those idiot Greenpeace activists who protest against cutting down trees by making signs out of wood and cardboard.
    -Or have all countries that have nukes, eliminate them by firing them at Venus or some other planet that is currently uninhabitable.

[ January 26, 2003, 02:47: Message edited by: Faerus Stoneslammer ]

8. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Wow! and Wow!

I am amazed at the number of responses that have included murder. I am particularly taken by this whole 747/twin towers sub-conversation.

My guess would be Teeak didn't actually see the whole thing on TV like many of us have. Maybe I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I find it hard to imagine how anyone who could have even remotely viewed the whole tradgedy unfold could actually desire the power of making this happen. To answer the question if he had said a different circumstance such as Tiananmen Square- yes, it is equally despotic a vision and desire to want to commit this act as well.

My curiousity lies in wondering what your ultimate desire truly is: desire for power or a greater understanding of violence?

I loved the idea of jumping out of a plane with no parachute, and the idea of experiencing death. What great thoughts! I have already basically experienced one of those (twice).

If I could do anything without consequence it would be to live my life totally, and completely honestly. Oh, to be able to be completely honest all the time. Oh, to be free to be myself in whatever way I desire...

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What happened in Tiananmer (in Finnish I believe, Tiananmen in English then I guess) was far more brutal than the Twin Towers. It was a matter of innocent people slaughtered by their own in an open field, openly for anyone to see. The amount of publicly displayed slaughter and violence was nothing like the petty crash of 2 towers and some people falling off. I watched the whole scene of what happened with the WTC back then, so I should know. Even though I've never seen what happened in Tiananmer other than in the paper.

Scarampella: I'm not trying to pick a fight here. But I dare to think that more people than you're aware of can easily think of doing another WTC all over again, or much worse. Thinking of doing it is nothing. To really do it is something quite else, though. And as for the reasons behind it? I can't say wether the will to understand the deed and the feelings it evokes, or just doing it for the sake of doing something evil and violent, becomes first (I'd put my guess on the understanding part). But it has to involve them both somehow, if you're going to go for it all the way that is.

I don't know what kind of person teekc really is. But just for what he's saying, he seems more like a normal person who's honest about his thoughts and feelings. You see, in these discussions, more people than not tend to hide what they themselves know or feel to be true. Simply for the reason of not wanting to get a reputation that might act against them. I couldn't care less what you people think about me so I'm honest all the way, as far as I can recognize of myself. And I'm glad someone else is as well. Again, I want to point out that this has nothing to do with appearing an a**hole to you all deliberately. Just that when there's the one place on this planet where I can actually be true to my feelings (internet, in general), then why not?

10. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Tiananmen was much more of a massacre than the Twin Towers. That, agreed. And think of the Holocaust...
    I'd kill George Bush, that's what I'd do...that's the world's number one priority right now isn't it :p
    On a more serious note, I'd also want to somehow educate 3rd-world citizens and somehow provide them with a way of earning their living....
    And eliminate human prejudice. Yeah. But that'd take a miracle.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You said I could do anything, right? I would provide education, food, housing, and medical care for everyone on earth.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    A grand and noble idea, Jack, but the "without consequences" part of the premise negates the benefits that your gesture should rightly bring! ;)

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The premise is no consequences to the person commiting the act.
    Every action listed here has consequences. Most of them are negative.

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I would do the good old american "go inte ma school and kill everyone I see" and would later take my family. Then the doctor who told me I had cancer. Ruined my life spirit. Meaby **** Lucy Liu later. Man she is hot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.