1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American BoM Fantasy Football League

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It appears my 6 week win streak shall come to an end... Unless I get 24 points from Trent Edwards, which is unlikely.

If I would've went with my gut on my starting receivers it'd be a manageable 14, but that happens. The unfortunate byproduct of having too much talent at one unpredictable position.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You're definitely right about the unpredictability of WRs. Even the best ones can drop a stink bomb or two throughout the course of a season. In my Yahoo league, I spent the 13th overall pick on Randy Moss. Granted, there is a really big reason for his lower performance this year as compared to last, but he has been down right awful some weeks. Last week he saved himself with a TD catch in the last minute. His stats prior to the TD catch were 3 catches for 27 yards.

As for your game tonight, 24 is a high, but definitely not unattainable point total. I don't think Edwards is a great QB, but the Browns defense is pretty bad. Still, you're going to need at least 2TD passes form his to have a realistic shot.

I'm definitely going to win my NFL game this week -

My QB is Warner - over 300 yards and a TD
    My RBs are: Gore - over 100 yards and 2TD
    Barber - over 100 yards and a TD
    Parker - over 100 yards, although sadly no TDs
    Welker and Ward were my starting WRs, and they both had over 100 yards too.

I did not check on my score after the last game last night, but I think I had 123 before Barber played. I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 140 points for the week.

My Yahoo game is more in doubt. I'm behind by a couple of points, but I have Marshawn Lynch going tonight, while my opponent has Kellen Winslow. Normally, I'd say that favors me, but Winslow had a TON of catches last week. He appears to be Brady Quinn's favorite target.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yeah, the Browns adjusted their offense for Brady Quinn so that the passing game focuses more on the TEs and RBs. So with that QB change, Braylon Edwards value dropped and Winslow's increased significantly.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    No matter. Lynch returned to beast mode and did very well. Now I'm not sure what to make about the value of Edwards and Winsolw, as it reversed in the second game. Edwards had a bunch of catches and over 100 receiving yards last night, while Winslow was very much held in check.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yeah, that was a little surprising; it could have only been a temporary thing to get Quinn's feet wet for his first start.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I am assured now of making the playoffs in both of my leagues. Only positioning matters now. In my nfl league, I'm 9-2-1, which is first overall. Only four teams make the playoffs, and it's a single elimination format in weeks 15 and 16, so reagrdless of what seed you are, it doesn't really matter.

In the Yahoo league, I'm 9-3, and I'm also guaranteed a playoff spot. However, in that league, six teams make the playoffs, with the top two seeds getting byes (the format is exactly like the real playoffs, where #3 plays #6 and #4 plays #5 in the first round). There are currently two 10-2 teams in the league, so my record is good enough for third overall. Obviously, the bye is a big advantage, so the difference in that league between 2nd and 3rd is huge.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm in the playoffs too, but I'll be kicking myself if this week hurts me. I didn't really get around to adjusting my roster from last week, so I had Westbrook on the bench (he only had 3 pts last week, so it was a good decision), and he just scored 37 tonight. If I had checked, he would be starting. This stinks.

The good news is that my WR's put up a solid effort, with 35 between the three (207 yards, 3 TD, FL).

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

No problem I guess, DeAngelo Williams gave me 4TD's so I'm in good shape. If I had started Westbrook though, I'd be at 142 points!!!

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The guy I played against this week in my nfl league had DeAngelo Williams. I lost.

I'm also probably a loser in my Yahoo league. I was up by 10 points going into last night's game, my opponent had Adrian Peterson, while I have Owen Daniels going tonight. While I have no idea exactly how many points Peterson had, it was a heck of a lot more than 10. So I probably will end up losing both this week.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

You're going to need a TD from Daniel's to have a chance... but the odds of that happening are slim. He just doesn't seem to be getting many opportunities with Schaub out, either.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yep - lost both. It will hurt my playoff seeding in the yahoo league (likely I'll be either the 3rd or 4th seed now), but since the other two division leaders also lost in my nfl league, I'm still in first there.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

This week I play what is a possible playoff preview (format is 4 team bracket weeks 15, 16) as my team (9-3, 2nd place overall) plays the top overall team (10-2-1) and division rival. Winner of this game gets the top seed and as such will place the team with the 4th place record (who is much worse than the #3 team in terms of overall points). Should be a goodie :)

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My nfl league is the same setup as your league, where the top 4 teams get in. From the looks of things, everyone who makes the playoffs is going to have either 9 or 10 wins, so there's no big advantage in being the 1st seed as opposed to the 4th seed, as all the teams are pretty evenly matched. That's the thing, if you play in a competitive league, it's a crap shoot once you hit the playoffs, especially in a year like this where this is no single dominant player like Brady, Moss, or Tomlinson. You just have to set your best lineup and hope for the best.

As for my Yahoo league, its playoff system follows the nfl style, where there are 6 seeds, with the top two seeds getting byes the first week. That's why last week's loss hurt. I'm now looking at the 3rd seed instead of the 2nd seed. While there isn't much difference between seeds 3-6, there is a substantial difference between the first two seeds and the other four.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Wow... I'm pumped. 181 point week. Seriously, 181 is pretty much double average. If I halved my score on this (way) down week I would still beat every team except the one I was matched up with. In case scoring doesn't translate across too well... stats.

QB-S. Hill=285 PaYd, 2 PaTD, PaInt, 8 RuYd... 21 points.
    RB1-B. Westbrook= 131 RuYd, RuTD, 72 ReYd, ReTD... 32 points.
    RB2-D. Williams= 186 RuYd, 2 RuTD, 6 ReYd... 30 points
    WR1-A. Bryant= 200 ReYd, 2 ReTD... 32 points
    WR2-C. Johnson= 84 ReYd, ReTD... 14 points
    WR3-L. Fitzgerald= 73 ReYd, ReTD... 13 points
    TE-O. Daniels= 65 ReYd, FL... 4 points
    K-N. Kaeding= 2 FG, 4 XP... 10 points
    DST-Cardinals= 10 PA, 308 YDS, 2 DTD, Int, 2 DFR, SACK... 25 points
    ---
    Totals= 285 PaYd, 2 PaTD (4,3), PaInt, 325 RuYd, 3 RuTD (16,36,30), 326 ReYd, 3 ReTD (70,12,40), FL, 2 FG (20,39), 4 XP + 10 PA, 308 YDS, 2 DTD (99,11), Int, 2 DFR, SACK... 181 points!

Needless to say I'm amazed

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That is very high - and when you do standard scoring - yeah it translates perfectly well. I actually hold the all-time high score in my league, which I got two years ago, with a total of 192. But 181 would certainly make the top 5 high scores of all time in my league, and we've been doing fantasty football for the last 8 years, so that's a ton of games.

Actually, in our league, you would have beat the record. You would have received 5 bonus points for the performances of Bryant, Westbrook, and Williams, which would have brought your total to 196.

Playoffs this week in both my leagues, and I'm in trouble in both of them. My nfl league I have Gore and Barber as my starting RBs, and both are banged up.

In my yahoo league I have Portis as by far my best player, and he's hurting too. I'm not particularly optimistic.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Due to the setup of the league I play the wild card no matter what at this point. Which means I'm playing the same team, and that has me worried. His roster is stacked, but I was lucky that the players didn't get too many TD's for him last game. However, I think my players generally have better match-ups this week than last week.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    But that stinks that you wasted a 181 point performance on what is essentially a meaningless game! You need a performance like that during the playoffs. As for me, as I said before I'll need to be fortunate to advance beyond the first round in either of my league's playoffs.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Week 1 of the playoffs and my two fantasy teams are down to one. I won handily in my yahoo league, but lost, in hearbreaking fashion, by 3 measly points in the nfl.com league. Ah well, making the playoffs means you play for free in taht league - at least it won't cost me any money - but I won't win the cash - that's for the championship round.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I won again, but that was more too a disappointing effort for my opponent (I believe only one or two TD's between receivers and RB's) than any great performance on my part. For the championship round I will be playing a team that barely survived in their game. It was fun for me to follow since he was down twenty-one and the only "player" he had left was the Eagles DST... and they pulled it out with 25 points. Absolutely brutal for the loser.

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

With 140+ in the championship game and a huge lead it appears certain that I will win... unless Donald Lee goes for 200 yards and 4TD's :grin:

Without lucking out on finding DeAngelo Williams in the waiver wire, there'd be no chance of me even contending. He's the man.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.